S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

For those with remote starters

Old 01-31-2003, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For those with remote starters

Plan in having a good friend install a full clifford alarm system with the remote start option.

Question is how do you work around the imobilizer?

We though we could just bury the valet key near the ignition but if we do that the imobilizer would always be disarmed.. I thought when I had a remote start installed in my dad
Old 01-31-2003, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to have an extra key made. This will be placed near the steering wheel in the column. By installing the remote starter you will inaffect lose the use fullness of the immobilizer. Plus you have to make sure you ALWAYS leave it out of gear.

My friend installed a starter into a Honda Accord 5spd. Left it in gear one time at Bugabo Cheek in Framingham/Natick, he was at a business meeting BTW, after dinner trying to show off he hits the button to start the car.....and it did.....then the car drove right into the woods by itself and smashed into a tree.

If it was me I'd skip the remote starter part. Thats just me though. Unless you purchased the kit they have that doesn't allow the car to start while in gear. Just check into it buddy, I'd hate to see you car end up in the woods or your basement
Old 01-31-2003, 08:47 AM

I would also stay away from the remote start. I never hooked mine up and I have the DEI Responder 2 Way system.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:20 AM

Oooohkay I don't know about some of this advice...

Go to your local alarm shop, ask for a DEI 555U module.. which is basically composed of a relay and wire, you can hide your key anywhere you want under your dash, and there is a wire that will go around your key cyl.. the relay allows it to be activated only when remote starting..

Of course that can be done by yourself with some thin guaged wire and a cheap relay.. you could easily save yourself $25 ($30 for the 555U - $5 for wire and relay).. use your ignition wire to trigger the relay..

A few notes on this subject..

-Be sure your alarm/starter is manual transmission safe, you may think that starting your car in gear could only hurt your car. Not really the case. If there is a small child infront of your car, and your car is remote started in first gear, expect the S to go away, and you will find yourself behind bars with lots of new enemies (pissed off parents). I would STAY AWAY from any starter that isn't "safe" on manuals. If you want something that is safe look into the Compustar 2WFM-AS, email me for details if you'd like to purchase one.

-If you do have your key under the dash, know that it isnt the key your key cyl is looking for, its only the chip in the head, so grind/cut the rest of it off.. all a thief would have to do is open your dash, pull out your key and "goodbye s2k".

-"I plan on having a good friend install".. just because he is a good friend may not mean he knows what hes doing. Be totally sure he knows what hes doing! The fact he doesn't know how to work around a transponder system is kinda scaring me. Alot of wires are protected from idiocy by fuses, some wires are not! and with those, you get one chance before you find yourself paying a good $700 for a new body control module, or $200 for a new keyless entry module.. etc etc.. ask him how a relay works or something.. if he doesn't know that, don't let him under your dash! You're better off taking it to a professional first, rather than after to give you an estimate on the damage not the install.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the advice guys..

Macgyver will be installing the system so I
Old 01-31-2003, 09:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL...funky, I'll be the installer, and I'm pretty sure I understand how a relay works (OK, maybe after a few beers I'll have some trouble explaining one ).

There are several ways to "defeat" the stock immobilizer, but as they increase in safeness/ability, they also increase in time/money. I've done plenty of stuff for Bass for free (I think he's my biggest fan because of it ), and I'm making him a pretty sweet deal on the full install of this alarm and remote starter, but I can't spend a week under the hood for free.

Some options are:
1) Sticking the key under the dash and calling it quits. Downside is permanent loss of immobilizer, upside is it's cheap and quick.
2) Option 1) above, plus the addition of an immobilizer add-on for the alarm, which copies the functionality of the stock system by disabling the fuel system. More complicated, more money.
3) Determinging if the control box signals yay/nay, or sends actual data to the ECU. If it's merely a yay/nay decision, that can be easily copied and sent to the ECU through use of extra alarm signal wires and relays. If it's actual data, this is no longer an option.

As far as safety is concerned, it's not much of an issue. The handbrake must be on, and a certain sequence of events must follow (such as being out of the car with the door closed and arming the alarm WHILE the car is running). The car can't be in gear if you're outside the car with the doors closed while arming it. If the alarm ever trips, the autostart function is turned off (in case anyone was thinking someone could lean into the car when the top was down and pop it into gear due the proximity alarm).

But I am certainly open to anyone's suggestions if they have done this type of install before and what they have done to accomplish it.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:55 AM

Okay, don't take what I said personally... on honda-tech some kid came on after his friend fried a wire on switch b off his clutch.. his car no longer started... chances are its an easy fix like a new switch.. but if he fried something on the other end of the wire it could be more serious.. that was on a lude'..id rather not see the same thing happen to a beloved S...

if you want reliability, go for the 555U module $30 at your local install shop.. if you are confident build your own..

cut off the head from the key, wrap it in thin guaged wire 8-10 times.. make sure its very tight. tape it with electrical tape to keep it in place.. run the wire to pin 30 on a relay

take another wire, wrap it around the key cyl 5-7 times, then run that to pin 87 on the relay

take yet another wire coming from the active output from the alarm and run that to pin 85

and the last wire from your ignition wire to pin 86..

basically your immobilizer contraption will only be activated when 2 circumstances are met, your ignition is on, and your alarm/starter is starting your car.. then the relay will just connect the wire going around your key to the wire that goes to the key cyl and its good to go..

ive done these installs all day long.. but most of the time i use the 555U module.. its easier on the installer and the customer doesn't usually mind paying that $30 for added safety..
Old 01-31-2003, 11:05 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGyver
[B]
I've done plenty of stuff for Bass for free (I think he's my biggest fan because of it ),
Old 01-31-2003, 12:08 PM

np let me know what ya end up doing.. glad i could help
Old 01-31-2003, 12:10 PM

Well I have auto start with my Clifford Concept 600, and it totaly rocks. It works with the immobilizer and simply the way for you to auto start you have to arm it prior to using it. It's great also b/c it has auto timer built in, so you can take your keys out and leave and it will shut off for you.

You'll have to give up a key to have auto start b/c of immobilizer. All-in-all it's a sweet feature to have your car warmed up and then just VTEC away. What's sweet is the people's look on their face when they see it start, and they wonder who it is.

Quick Reply: For those with remote starters