S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Thoughts or opinions on my audio choices?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool. If I were to do a sub, it'd be a 10" on the passenger side. But that will be a decision for the future.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really REALLY recommend you go with a 12. A 10 just isn't going to cover the low freq range very well.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:26 AM

Eh, I just can't sacrifice the trunk space. I do a lot of roadtripping in the car with my lady, so I need to be able to toss a big suitcase and a backpack or two in. I can just see the suitcase tearing through the woofer cone the first time we pack....
Old 08-07-2009, 09:12 AM

Trust me, my gf and I do a lot of road tripping and have no problem with the sub (and mine's not even covered...once I've built a cover for it, there'll be even more space). We manage to pack a garment bag, a 100L duffle bag (6100cu ft), my 17" laptop, two backpacks and minimal amount of detailing supplies in the trunk without damaging the sub all the time...

If you go with the BM and have your enclosure in place of the spare tire (AAA ftw, after all...when would you ever drive your S on a donut?), you won't have anything to worry about.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:05 AM

Yeah, I ditched my spare tire long ago. AAA ftw, indeed.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:13 AM

But anyway...enough on subs. I won't be doing anything sub related until I get my front speakers sorted.

So, back to the original post. Any opinions/suggestions/ideas?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:58 AM

I have a pair of ScanSpeak Revelators waiting to go into my S. I haven't had time (or a circle jig) to build fiberglass pods to protect them.

I love the SEAS woofers I have in my truck. If they weren't so deep, I'd have put them in the S as well.

Both vehicles have those SEAS tweeters I linked to. I prefer a clean sound and the SEAS tweets are the cleanest I've ever heard. Which doesn't necessarily mean much since most of what I've heard is overly bright mainstream car audio stuff. In a direct comparison to MB Quarts, they're not just smoother - there's also a more full sound to what their output.

The amplifier you use will make as much of a difference as anything. I love the Sundown amps I have in the truck, and I've been tempted to replace the Audison LRx and JL 500/1 in my S with Sundown amps... A Sundown 100.4 amp will run you around $300 and is built for SQ (the owners of Sundown and SI are good friends...). It will allow you to run active without having to upgrade to a more expensive HU. I still recommend upgrading your HU to either the Pioneer DEH880-PRS or Eclipse CD7200mkII (I prefer Eclipse).
Old 08-10-2009, 10:41 PM

someone that loves smooth and laid back setup with a lot of details

Source: Eclipse CD7200MKII (or Alpine hu with PXA-H100 if you want to save on RCA)
RCA: Nordost Blue Heaven
Mid Range: Seas Excel
Tweeters: Seas Lotus Reference
(or just get Seas Lotus Reference/Performance from Mobile SQ if you want Car audio specific drivers)
Amp: Stick with any high end brand and you should be fine. Never tried the Sundowns but they are cheap enough to give them a try
Speaker Cable: KnuKonceptz silver wire for tweets(must do) and copper for mids
Old 08-11-2009, 05:14 AM

i would do a nice set of components and sound deadend the doors, use a 4 channel amp / 2 channels to door speakers and bridge the other 2 to a sub, In the next few weeks i will have a sub box for the s2000 avaible for sale, it mounts in the passenge footwell, uses a slim line 10", takes up little room, slides under the factory carpet, and if you did not know it was there you could not tell, but it adds just enough bass to fill what is missing, this is not intended for booming bass but more twords sound quality setups.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:41 AM

I might be interested in the box.

What is there to protect it from having a passenger stick their foot through the cone?

Quick Reply: Thoughts or opinions on my audio choices?