S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Thread to show how to remove interior trim?

Old 02-17-2006, 12:29 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Thread to show how to remove interior trim?

I did a search but most of the threads showcased door panels and other standard trim but not the pieces I was looking at.

I want to remove my dash cluster trim (around the speedo, temp unit and radio controls) + the rear roll hoops, glove back, rear secret compartment pieces for painting.

Can someone help direct me to a thread or how to?

much appreciated!

rick
Old 02-17-2006, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to remove my dash cluster trim (around the speedo, temp unit and radio controls.
I think you have to drop the steering column for this, unless you want to risk damaging the trims / scratching steering wheel.

the rear roll hoops
Those trims are bonded together. Unless you remove the entire roll-hoop assembly (bars and all), chances are they will be a PITA to get back together.

glove back, rear secret compartment pieces
I think you remove the rear trims, the center console, and there are a few screws that come out, then just pressure clips.

This is just off the top of my head. I will check my repair manual this weekend. I will shoot you a PM with a link to it when I upload it.

John

BTW - nice m3!
Old 02-17-2006, 03:39 PM

John thanks for replying to my questions!

Yeah I love the m3 too but the s2k is more fun more to drive!

I'm planning on pulling the entire loops out completely since like you said, those things are impossible to put back otherwise. I need to get them sanded down for painting so that's why I want to remove all the rear plastic pieces.

Appreciate all your help!

rick
Old 02-17-2006, 03:55 PM

I am pretty sure you have to remove the rear deck to get to the bolts that hold the rear portion of the roll hoops in. I think they kind of loop over a structural piece from front to back (when you remove the rear trims behind the seat, that piece of metal is what they cross over). I think you may be able to get to them via the trunk, but that is a long reach in an uncomfortable position.

I will extract the pages you need from my PDF file sometime tomorrow and email them to you (entire manual is something like 29 megs). It shows where the bolts are located, but not the best way to get at them. Just sit down with the diagram for a half hour or so to plan it out, and you should be good.

John
Old 02-18-2006, 03:58 PM
Banned

a philips screw driver, 12 and 14 mm socket should do the trick

pull the plastic pieces out of the dash bezel and remove the two screws, drop the steering column then pull the bezel. don't cut your hands trying to get to the a/c and radio control wires.

Unfortunately to get the roll hoops out every other piece of plastic has to come out first. In this order center console(around the shifter), panels behind the seats(with the hooks), rear center console, roof well. then roll hoops. They are held in with 8 bolts each.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:01 PM

1a-race: Thanks for the list of parts I need to remove - this sounds like a big job in the making...hahaha

John, if you can email me the pages that would be awesome - I'm working on removing the seats and center console right now.

This is a diagram that I got from a member:

http://www.slhondaparts.com/browse.asp?Mod...&ViewParts=true

Can't wait to get the pieces out of the car - this is my President's day plan!

rick
Old 02-19-2006, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by s4play,Feb 17 2006, 04:29 PM
I did a search but most of the threads showcased door panels and other standard trim but not the pieces I was looking at.

I want to remove my dash cluster trim (around the speedo, temp unit and radio controls) + the rear roll hoops, glove back, rear secret compartment pieces for painting.

Can someone help direct me to a thread or how to?

much appreciated!

rick
for the trim around the stering wheel you have to drop the steering wheel, be careful when you are taking it out though because there are tiny clips that always have a tendancy to break. i put in a carbon fiber version of the dash, which i will be selling btw.
i have the step by step directions to take the dash out, i can scan then then send you the pic if you want.

the roll bars, once they come apart they dont go back together. mine has a gap between it, and its a bitch to try to stay together, i have tried many things, but the best thing i would say dont open them.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by s4play,Feb 20 2006, 02:01 AM
1a-race: Thanks for the list of parts I need to remove - this sounds like a big job in the making...hahaha

the first time it's a pain in the a$$. Make sure you leave out half the screws if you plan to do it again

oh and there is one small panel like 3"X8" on the back of the center console. I never did figure out how to get that off gracefully so I just yanked it out with screws the in.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:54 AM

That diagram is pretty much what is in the manual. It will be later this week before I can get to it (midterms in graduate school suck!).

John
Old 02-21-2006, 09:09 PM

Update, I have removed both my seats and some of the plastic trim directly behind the seats. Now what....hahahaha

I see some gold bolts in there under the metal roll hoop frames and I'm not afraid to tear into the rear but my only concern is I hope I do not have to touch the soft top since that is one thing I am really scared to unbolt!

I was looking at ways for the body shop to mask the hoops off without removing them but it looks very difficult to paint certain areas.....hmmmmmm

Ideas?? *scratchin head....

Rick

Quick Reply: Thread to show how to remove interior trim?