S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Upgrading the Sound System

Old 03-01-2001, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From reading the posts on this site, I think we all agree the sound system in the s2K is weak, straight from the factory. I'm not looking for a system that I can take to a competition, I just want to hear the radio when I have the top down.

I read several posts from folks who just upgraded the speaks and now you can hear with the top down. Is that really all that was done? The folks I talked to at several audio stores, said I'm not going to get more volume from new speakers, I need an amp or a new head unit. (I really don't want to replace the head unit - keep the dash controls working.)

Folks that have replaced speakers only, can you really hear the radio at 60+ with the top down?

Folks with added amps and upgraded speakers, what setup did you go for? price range?

-Ender
Old 03-01-2001, 07:07 AM

I got the 3-way Sony speakers from Crutchfield for $79. By far, the best thing that I have ever purchsed for the S2000. Even with the stock head unit, it sounds great.

Something I should have done the day after I bought the car.
Old 03-01-2001, 07:16 AM
Community Organizer

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Ender. This really belongs in the Electonics forum but I cant move it. But I can say. Yes replacing the speakers with a new efficient pair of speakers helps in not only clarity but volume.

Upgrading the head can be done to keep the dash controls with Pinky's Mod. It was developed specifically for the S2000 and have many many happy customers.

As for going to an amplifier setup before doing a new head/and speakers its going to get expensive plus your gonna be loosing space or drilling holes in your car. Neither of which I want to do. Though figure 250 for an amp 200 for speakers and probably 200+ labor. All to run off the stock head?!

It can be done has been done. Though comming from the industry keeping the stock head isnt my FIRST choice especially when the dash controls can be kept with a new head.
Old 03-01-2001, 07:22 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Pinky what about the factory CD Changer. If I were to change the head unit wouldn't I be losing that too?
Old 03-01-2001, 07:25 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Ender,
Try doing a search on the topic. There should be quite an archive on this.
To answer your question, I kept the OEM head unit, because I too like the dash controls, but the addition of a power amp makes an amazing difference. I went with a Soundstream Lil Wonder with ADS 236is separates.
It's all a big game, and you have to decide what sounds best and what you can spend.
Old 03-01-2001, 07:49 AM

Hi
I put in an MTX 325 watt amp in the tool bin and Polk 6.5" speakers with separate adjustable tweeters. Kept the stock head unit for the dash controls. Sounds great. I'm not sure you could hear the difference between the stock head unit and an upgraded one. I'd just go with an amp and speakers.

2x6
Old 03-01-2001, 08:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same setup as Zippy (same installer). It's really, really much better then what was in there.

Zippy, question though, have you EVER had a problem with the speakers clipping at high volume because of too much bass. I listen to mainly Alternative, Rock, and Pop stuff. So I listen to some pretty heavy bass notes. I can't listen to the radio at some of the volume levels I would like without turning the bass down (isn't so bad, but I would like to keep it higher). It's been back to the shop twice, but that was the best we could do, unless I add a sub. I don't think I will do that though.

Just wondering, I still love the system though, punchy bass, and very crisp.

ERIK
Old 03-01-2001, 08:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NDAZONE
[B]Hey Pinky what about the factory CD Changer.
Old 03-01-2001, 08:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2x6spds
[B]I'm not sure you could hear the difference between the stock head unit and an upgraded one.
Old 03-01-2001, 08:53 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ender
[B]From reading the posts on this site, I think we all agree the sound system in the s2K is weak, straight from the factory.

Quick Reply: Upgrading the Sound System