S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Upgrading Stock Speakers

Old 07-16-2001, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Stock Speakers

Just a few questions...

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my stock radio and flimsy stock speakers, however, I need some input as to what speakers would be best/easiest to install. I've seen a few threads regarding the Sony Xplod 1621/31's...........but I'm curious if there are any others out there that fellow S2K owners have experience with.

As for speakers that can be installed in the rear, considering the placement of them behind the front seats, would I hear a difference?? Just curious...

As for "Pinky's Mod"........simply stated, can I get some feedback from the mod before I shell out $150.00? Also, what controls do I lose on the dash.........if any...

Thanks again -
Old 07-16-2001, 11:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bud Murphy
[B]Just a few questions...

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my stock radio and flimsy stock speakers, however, I need some input as to what speakers would be best/easiest to install.
Old 07-16-2001, 08:02 PM

I just went with an alpine flagship spx177A setup for the door speakers, cut the baskter and flushed the tweeters by the handle, sounds awesome, looks sweet, and dont worry about cutting/flushing...it all works out great, I even had to shave a lil the door metal to fit the tweeters, small mods are not going to hurt in any way. SOUNDS SWEET
Old 07-16-2001, 10:08 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bbsilver
[B]

<front speakers>
Consider cutting the basket.
Old 07-16-2001, 10:23 PM
S2R

Keep the speakers, the stock head, and get an amp. It's good enough unless you're an audiophile. I can't tell the difference, cuz I'm kind of lame. If you want, Honda has upgraded speakers as well.
Old 07-17-2001, 05:08 AM

Received 800 Likes on 711 Posts

The speakers are the weak link. Replace them. Adding an amp is 10 times the work for 1/10th the payoff.

If just changing the speakers doesn't suffice, then either replace the headunit (it is somewhat underpowered), or add a small 2 channel amp.
Old 07-17-2001, 09:27 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RedHead
[B]

I believe the main purpose of the basket is to protect the speaker from water.
Old 07-17-2001, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by S2R
Keep the speakers, the stock head, and get an amp. It's good enough unless you're an audiophile. I can't tell the difference, cuz I'm kind of lame. If you want, Honda has upgraded speakers as well.
Speakers are definately the weak link. I have had both stock and Polk speakers combined with both a stock and a Sony head unit. The worst combination by far is stock speakers w/ stock head unit. Replace the speakers! Just about any aftermarket speaker will sound better than stock. More mids, lower bass, ability to drive 90 and hear the stereo.

Honda builds a great car, but they can't build speakers. Go to companies that specialize in speakers.
Old 07-17-2001, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by S2R
I'm really starting to wonder if Honda has used more than one type of speaker in the S2000. The stock speakers in mine aren't nearly as bad as some people are saying. Adding the amp did wonders for the system as a whole though. So, I, like you, would say try the amp first, as the stock head unit just doesn't have enough power to play over wind noise without distorting.
Old 07-17-2001, 08:49 PM
S2R

I agree with you. I used to think the oem speakers really sucked. Then I gave it a little juice from an upgraded head unit, and the improvements were pretty good. I can only imagine how much better it got when you used an amp. I think for the average Joe the oem speakers with an amp is good enough. I would say to whomever, just try it out with an amp first before you buy new speakers. Having said all that, I'm a hypocrite and have a set of aftermarket speakers coming in the near future. The only reason I found out about the oem speakers is because I have to use them until my new speakers arrive. Plus I'm installing a high powered amp.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Stock Speakers