S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.
View Poll Results: What should Pinky do?!
YES: Leave them alone and not participate and just be a moderator.
3.13%
NO: Pinky should keep posting as I always have sharing my knowlege while still being attacked.
62.50%
Yes: Keep quiet until asked specificly for help.
12.50%
NO: But change how you approach things......comment below.
21.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

What should Pinky do?!

Old 06-12-2001, 10:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pinky is not just a moderator, but a member as well. Although many do not always agree with him, or other members for that matter, that is what makes the forum is great. For me, this forum is all about learning useful info. As long as your posts are not hateful or malicious, post away.

You never learn anything from someone who always agrees with you.
Old 06-12-2001, 11:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't be a moderator if you paid me. Too much power to abuse or, worse still, be accused of abusing. Sort of like that Far Side comic of the deer with the target on it's back. "Hell of a birthmark Hal".

I value your contributions Pinky. You've got a lot to share. But sometimes you appear to doft the salesman hat and get a little biased. Fortunately I can smell salespeak a mile off.
Old 06-13-2001, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope when somebody challenges your ideas you don't feel personally attacked. That would never be my intention. I care what you say. You have the most car stereo experience of all of us, and have valuable information to add that can't be replaced by anyone else. I trust your empirical knowledge and always weigh real world experience above classroom theory. That doesn't mean I will change my approach of being a nerdy engineer, but hey, that's what I have to offer. Please don't stop. I vote 2. BTW, thanks for being the moderator.
Old 06-13-2001, 06:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by elviscos
[B]Certainly both distortion and excess power play a role here.
Old 06-13-2001, 08:21 AM
Community Organizer

Received 91 Likes on 76 Posts

Ok I guess I must append my statement slightly. Distortion alone does not kill but power matched with distortion kills.

Though a speaker can handle many times the power if its clean if its distorted ie. amplifieris pushed into clipping(that bad stuff we talked about) it will do very bad things to that speaker.

Its hard to quote figures for you engineering types.......because all speakers are different. Though I still stand by the fact that speakers will handle clean undistorted power many times over what a pushed clipping amp is going to put out at a much lower level.(excessive power is not needed here!)

Its not only a loudness button that will blow speakers it can just be an over driven amplifier! I have seen way to many kids blow up speakers either by pushing their head unit on a set of 6"s that need an amp and they blow up. Or they power a set of high end subs with a Profile or Urban 200 watt amplifiers(which is total BS ratings only 50 if that is usable power)......then when they pick up a 350 watt real amp that all the power is usable they stop blowing speakers for some reason!

Excess power and distortion only accelerates the destruction process!

Im sorry guys its just tough to explain all this stuff in a univerasal format to cover every situation........because you cant every application is different! Every car stereo system is different......though sometimes I feel like saying DON'T YOU GET IT.

Or just say ahhh!!!!!!you all!!!

Pretty much now im going........
Old 06-13-2001, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by Pinky
Though a speaker can handle many times the power if its clean if its distorted ie. amplifieris pushed into clipping(that bad stuff we talked about) it will do very bad things to that speaker.
I remember a man by the name of Bob Carver saying the very same thing about 25 years ago. He started some company called Phase Linear that built these massive amps (200 W/ch), which he claimed was needed so music peaks wouldn't clip. Everbody said his amps would blow up speakers. He said it was clipping blowing up speakers, and his amps would play loud and clean. Didn't take long for him to prove he was right, and now many companies build a 200 Watts per channel amp.
Old 06-13-2001, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pinky, my view on recent give n' takes is everyone should take things a little less personally. People can say you're wrong without calling you an a negligent fool. We have more than one contributor to the board and all of us are wrong from time to time (and things are seldom black-and-white right/wrong).

There was good information shared in the recent thread on distortion vs. power and I see no reason for suggesting it get locked or for you to withdraw from participation.

Yes, it is helpful to us observers to know the background of each person putting forth their view (fact or opinion). Mac's EE background lets him explain things differently than you but that does not invalidate your statements. If anything, because of deceptive marketing practices I tend to trust a hand-on installer more than a theorist (not saying Mac doesn't get his hands dirty).
Old 06-13-2001, 11:31 AM
Community Organizer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Penforhire
[B]Pinky, my view on recent give n' takes is everyone should take things a little less personally.
Old 06-13-2001, 01:49 PM

It is important to identify the reason for your views so others can evaluate a hypothetical statement such as "xxx brand stereos are junk". IE "I've installed about 40 xxx brand stereos and 50 percent have been faulty".
Old 06-14-2001, 03:47 AM
Community Organizer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RandyP
[B]It is important to identify the reason for your views so others can evaluate a hypothetical statement such as "xxx brand stereos are junk".

Quick Reply: What should Pinky do?!