S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

why is this wire kicking my butt?

Old 09-10-2005, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is this wire kicking my butt?

ok so my amp (boston gt-22) claims it accepts 4 guage power and ground. my 4 guage power slid in just fine but the ground is doing anything but! every time i try to push the 4 guage ground into the holder the outer strands crush back and i can't get it. is there any sort of installer trick out there i dont know about? i'm finger twisting the strands before inserting them.

whats a good solution for the positive battery terminal? i bought a top mount clamp with two 4 guage inputs but it seems i need a third sense the car itself requires two 4 guage sources which still leaves my amp thirsting for its own power hookup.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:43 PM

cut it off and start again?
OR
Solder it together first?
Old 09-11-2005, 02:34 AM
Spammer

Originally Posted by formulaofsuccess,Sep 10 2005, 07:17 PM
ok so my amp (boston gt-22) claims it accepts 4 guage power and ground. my 4 guage power slid in just fine but the ground is doing anything but! every time i try to push the 4 guage ground into the holder the outer strands crush back and i can't get it. is there any sort of installer trick out there i dont know about? i'm finger twisting the strands before inserting them.

whats a good solution for the positive battery terminal? i bought a top mount clamp with two 4 guage inputs but it seems i need a third sense the car itself requires two 4 guage sources which still leaves my amp thirsting for its own power hookup.
im just gonna ask the obvious question, sometimes people overlook the most simple things.

did you look into the hole and look to see if anything is bothering it from going in. possibly the screw is in the way?

what wires are you using? same as the power side?
Old 09-11-2005, 08:54 AM

I know sometimes manufacturers put little pieces of rubber into the holes and screw down onto them - did you remove any obstacles?

and yeah....i am assuming you backed the screw out far enough to get the cable in
Old 09-11-2005, 10:43 AM

yeah there's nothing in the way at all, no screw or rubber particles or anything. i was originally going to go with a much larger amp, thus the 4 guage, so i just picked up a distribution block and am going to reduce it down to 8 guage power and ground just before the amp. should solve the problem
Old 09-12-2005, 08:03 AM

maybe you don't have the right formula of success?
Old 09-12-2005, 08:11 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Chuckle, chuckle.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:31 PM

funny jokester, when are you coming to the improv?

i do have a secondary question though- what's the preferred manner of inserting power, ground and speaker leads into an amp? just strip, twist and push them in then screw the set screws down or should the ends of the wires be soldered first (making something more solid to screw into) before anchoring them with the set screws? if soldering is the route how should i go about accomplishing that?
Old 09-12-2005, 12:46 PM

For the battery terminal you can try using one like I did from Monster Cable :

Getting the single connection for the ground post made the best sense for me since considering the 1/0 awg wire I was running outward in addition to the stock 4 awg wiring. Here is a link to Monster's site for both terminals : http://www.monstercable.com/caraudio2/powe...ry%20Connectors
Old 09-12-2005, 03:35 PM

[QUOTE=formulaofsuccess,Sep 12 2005, 04:31 PM] funny jokester, when are you coming to the improv?

Quick Reply: why is this wire kicking my butt?