S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

YADMST (Yet Another Design My System Thread)

Old 02-10-2010, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahaha! Bonuses!

OK, yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking, just bolt 'em down against the rear.

The SAX-100.4 has connections on both ends, so it would need to be mounted a few inches up or sideways, but it's also kind of W I D E, so the trim would have to be hacked up a bit.

I'm going to go play around in the trunk a little, take some measurements, check a few things out.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:25 PM

New Hertz HSL 165.4 to be shipped out on Monday! (or Tuesday, er, not sure the shipping action on Prez Day...).

They're the 2009 models (the current) which made several improvements over the previous model/variant.

I figured that even though the HAT Imagine were very interesting, I like the idea of the outboard (and adjustable) x-over, and these were always at the top of my list. I get them and hate them, it won't cost me much to get out of them and into a set of the HATs.

Still no clue about the sub, but I'm going to pursue a trunk mounted amp setup - I'll post when (if? hahaha) I get rolling on it
Old 02-12-2010, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=[DT],Feb 12 2010, 06:25 PM] New Hertz HSL 165.4 to be shipped out on Monday! (or Tuesday, er, not sure the shipping action on Prez Day...).

They're the 2009 models (the current) which made several improvements over the previous model/variant.

I figured that even though the HAT Imagine were very interesting, I like the idea of the outboard (and adjustable) x-over, and these were always at the top of my list.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:04 PM

I'll be running passive for now. All I read said the Hertz crossovers are pretty outstanding, and they're setup to go active *if* I want to mount another amp (and rerun power).

I really like the trunk rear wall option. The space between the trunk hinge and the spare is perfect for the Sundown, so I'm going to make a rack for that area, I'll just need to figure out how to secure it (though I have some interesting ideas!)

Anybody know where people get the carpet that matches the trunk? Figured I'd at least slap on a carpeted finish.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:22 PM

I'd expect you could find a similar carpet at any carpet store. Should only need 1yd of the stuff.

I highly recommend you run that 100.4 active from the start. You'll already have the doors apart to wire/install the speakers, and regardless of how the xovers are - they're no match for the fully adjustable xovers built into the amp.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:25 AM

Any recommendations for dampening material? Worthwhile in the S?

A few folks have suggested Damplifier Pro (~$55 for 13/sq/ft).
Old 02-14-2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by [DT
,Feb 14 2010, 09:25 AM] Any recommendations for dampening material? Worthwhile in the S?

A few folks have suggested Damplifier Pro (~$55 for 13/sq/ft).
Some people say it is...I say it probably isn't, at least not in the S.

You'll still have the noise from the soft top and extra weight that's not easily removable.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:26 AM

That's what I was thinking. It can always be done later too as I have a suspicion I'm going to be revising this system often
Old 02-14-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People usually say the volume of the wind noise is approximately equal to the volume of the engine noise if you don't have a hardtop.

If that's assumed to be exactly true, you'd get a max of about 3dB by dynamatting/damplifiering/otherwise quieting the crap out of the car. Obviously if it's not true you can make up more (or less) than that, but the point remains--you'll still have all the wind noise even if you damp out nearly all of the undercar road and engine noise.

Now, when you add a hardtop or a roof liner things would be different. But in any case, it adds weight to the car (along with cost), so I've personally been a bit hesitant. If I do any it, I'll use an 80/20 type approach and go light.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by ace123,Feb 14 2010, 05:00 PM
People usually say the volume of the wind noise is approximately equal to the volume of the engine noise if you don't have a hardtop.

If that's assumed to be exactly true, you'd get a max of about 3dB by dynamatting/damplifiering/otherwise quieting the crap out of the car. Obviously if it's not true you can make up more (or less) than that, but the point remains--you'll still have all the wind noise even if you damp out nearly all of the undercar road and engine noise.

Now, when you add a hardtop or a roof liner things would be different. But in any case, it adds weight to the car (along with cost), so I've personally been a bit hesitant. If I do any it, I'll use an 80/20 type approach and go light.
Honestly, I do have the speaker kit (the small 9x9 squares) - but that's it.

I'm looking at installing the HardDog roll bar and that will require removing all of the stock plastics. I haven't decided how I'm going to deal with the extra road noise in the cabin this will result in, but I'm leaning toward a thin mat of closed-cell foam covered with carpet. Something removable, but should help cut down on the extra road noise.

The biggest drawback, IMO, to dynamat, et al is that it's a permanent(ish) weight increase. Everything else I'm doing to the car (except the wiring itself) can be readily removed for a track day (or a day at the Dragon, etc). Dynamat isn't something that can be pulled and reinstalled in such a fashion...

Quick Reply: YADMST (Yet Another Design My System Thread)