S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

AEM Map for AP1 with 1000cc Injectors - Troubleshooting Help

Old 06-13-2021, 06:14 AM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts
Unhappy AEM Map for AP1 with 1000cc Injectors - Troubleshooting Help

Does anyone have an NA tuned AP1 with bolt ons running on Grams 1000cc injectors they'd be willing to share with me? I'm trying to figure out why my car suddenly can't start. Problem started yesterday. I went for a drive, everything was fine until it started hesitating and misfiring badly between 1 to 3k rpm at part throttle. When I gave it more gas from 4k and up it started pulling smoother. It never switched off thankfully. When I got home I swapped my original coils back in since I changed them a few days ago with AP2 Denso coils from Amazon (same as on Rockauto). That didn't make a difference. Checked VTEC solenoid screen and it was super clean. Started up and the idle hunted a grand or so for a few seconds then it switched off again. Checked plugs, they were black and smelled of fuel. Changed them for stock PFR7's (I run Iridium BKR8EIX) but that didn't make a difference. I pulled the VC to check timing, timing checked out fine using cylinder 1's TDC. I even swapped my TCT just in case that was an issue because I thought I heard a random clack sound while the issue started on the road but I guess that was just varying misfires. I suspected my IACV was acting up again so I pulled it and cleaned it again. I then put my stock ECU back in but I didn't swap the wideband sensor back to stock. It started up quick and easy but then a few moments later sputtered and turned off. I suspect my OEM injectors were failing for a long time even on stock ECU. I pulled the fuel rail today and blasted them with carb cleaner. Tried to start on stock ECU and it kept stumbling. Put AEM ECU back in and the same thing happened. Just before it starts it fails. When I pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it it sounds fine. Soon as it receives fuel this happens. I don't have a spare set of OEM injectors to try so I figured I can install my new Grams 1000cc but it'll need to be tuned. Car sat for 2 weeks un-driven so I don't know if the gas could have gone bad?? Now I can't drive to a gas station though...

Setup:
- '00 AP1
- Invidia TP
- J's Racing titanium single exit 70mm
- AEM 340 fuel pump
- SOS wiring kit
- upgraded retainers and banjo bolts (don't think this will make any difference but just throwing in extra info)
- Tuned on AEM Series 2 with stock injectors and MAP sensor.

If anyone can help me out with a working, safe map tuned for Grams 1000cc with the above setup (or as close to as possible) I'd appreciate it!
Old 06-13-2021, 06:40 AM

Or could this be a timing issue related to cam position sensors? I read of some having this issue because of CPS. I'll go disconnect mine and see what happens
Old 06-22-2021, 10:09 AM

When i pulled the crank angle sensor plug and tested resistance it checked out. When i tried to start the car with it unplugged it didn't start at all.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:10 AM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Send me a log I'd be happy to take a look
Old 06-27-2021, 09:26 PM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Same. Feel free to send a log, if you have any to share. If not, I can send you AEM base map (which you should already have) and walk you through setting up injector information in the software yourself.

The nice thing is, although all injector dead-times are different, you should be able to pick any 1000CC from AEM’s drop down and you’ll be in a rough ballpark. Also, with closed-loop/fuel-trims on, it’ll get you to at the very least idling just fine. Keep in mind that you might be soaking your plugs with fuel hence why she’s not starting. You might have to dry them/clean them/swap them out again,

What map are you using on AEM? Can you send it to me? Happy to see if everything checks out. I’ve seen “tuned” maps where all protections are off, incorrect sensors and displacement are selected.
The following users liked this post:
RolanTHUNDER (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by EOE
Same. Feel free to send a log, if you have any to share. If not, I can send you AEM base map (which you should already have) and walk you through setting up injector information in the software yourself.

The nice thing is, although all injector dead-times are different, you should be able to pick any 1000CC from AEM’s drop down and you’ll be in a rough ballpark. Also, with closed-loop/fuel-trims on, it’ll get you to at the very least idling just fine. Keep in mind that you might be soaking your plugs with fuel hence why she’s not starting. You might have to dry them/clean them/swap them out again,

What map are you using on AEM? Can you send it to me? Happy to see if everything checks out. I’ve seen “tuned” maps where all protections are off, incorrect sensors and displacement are selected.
Thanks for the offer! I might just take you up on it soon as I install the new fuel system - AEM rail, FPR, Grams 1000cc.
So far, knock control is OFF. Should this not be turned ON?

P.S. Problem solved by the way. I had a VTEC solenoid stuck open that caused all this mayhem lol.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:19 AM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Yep, just make sure frequency and floor are reasonable. You can also turn off global knock control, aka it'll be per cylinder knock control so when it does pull timing it does so on the cylinder that knocks and power reduction is drastically reduced.

Anyways, I can show you that too. We can do a quick call/screenshare. Happy to walk you through that.
Old 07-03-2021, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by EOE
Yep, just make sure frequency and floor are reasonable. You can also turn off global knock control, aka it'll be per cylinder knock control so when it does pull timing it does so on the cylinder that knocks and power reduction is drastically reduced.

Anyways, I can show you that too. We can do a quick call/screenshare. Happy to walk you through that.
That per cylinder knock control sounds good!
I'll hit you up when I'm ready