S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

AP1Chief E/Remote Tune Review

Old 10-25-2017, 04:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up AP1Chief E/Remote Tune Review

Car info: MY01, Ultimate-Racing Turbo kit, TIAL 38mm wastegate, HKS SSQV BOV, walbro 255, colder plugs, custom CAI, FMIC, oil filter relocated, 2.5” downpipe to 2.5” test pipe to HKS Dual Hi-Power catback, RC 750cc injectors, stock fuel rail/FPR/FPD, stock engine

So I finished my Ultimate-Racing turbo kit install, and got the car running (barely) using the AEM supplied supercharged AP1 basemap. Made some changes to the map, was able to get into boost and have it running semi-decent, blew a rubber oil line (literally, it burst), got some SS braided ones made, and through the forum started talking to Josh (AP1_Chief). He tells me he’s been tuning people’s cars, send me some initial graphs to after (big power increases, and great reviews). Not to mention he has a 720hp s2k…I figure… what the hell… he’s significantly less expensive than who I was going to use, and I don’t have to shell out extra funds for a dyno (he seemed competent and confident), so we decide to work together.

After about 4-5 revisions there are nothing but problems… all on my end. Electrical problems, sensor issues… just crazy shit. Probably 4-5 hours of his time, and mine, remote tuning, setting idle, and then sending data logs back and forth gets summarized in a few words over the phone… “Dude… something aint right.”That got followed up with “I’ll refund you your money, I don’t want any kind of bad rep or anything and I don’t want you to think I’m a scammer.” After probably 5 hours worth of work and time this was his response. Talk about integrity. Long story short he helps me TROUBLE SHOOT my electrical issues (one previous owner of my stolen-recovered AP1 had supercharged it, at some point, and the harness was a bit of a mess… to say the least, and the Comptech ESM was still in there… throwing everything off…) and after about a week we finally get to tuning. Even suggested which pins at the ECU to tap into for some things as we were troubleshooting…

I’ve gotta tell you… even on his BASEMAP the car was running great. A little hiccup getting into VTEC (which is gone now), but it pulled so much harder than without boost. He really went above and beyond getting things sorted out with my car, and getting it running WELL. From adjusting idle, cold start, hot start, to voltage load to keep from dying when all electrical loads are on, to IAC to prevent stall when coming to a stop, to remote tuning and looking at data logs to make sure the power we’re making is safe… and his general enthusiasm and knowledge about these F20C and F22C engines and tuning was really refreshing. He even explained some things that he was doing and why… which is cool. Especially for those of us who have decided to embark on a project like going forced induction on a car that originally is not, and might be doing it in their driveway out of a portable toolbox... I don’t know about everyone else, but I like to learn.

The car is making roughly 319 whp and 208 ft/lbs tq using the virtual dyno. This is with a 7.5psi conservative tune. Next up, since injectors are only at around 50% duty cycle, is for me to install my AEM trimpot and MAC boost control solenoid, and crank up the boost and see how much farther we can go.

Seriously folks, if you are interested in doing remote tuning with someone who is just as motivated as you are to get your car running and running great, and making some power, don’t hesitate to get in touch with Josh. Josh really went above and beyond, and was READY to get this car running great what seemed like every spare second I had… ha ha.
“Can we remote tune now?”
‘Dude I’m not home from work yet.’
“Let me know when you are.”

Any modification I make to this vehicle that will have an effect on the tune I will be contacting him about it first. Without question.
Thanks, Josh. I really appreciate all of your TIME and KNOWLEDGE. A+++++

Last edited by DrJimmyV; 10-25-2017 at 04:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AP1Chief (10-25-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 05:00 AM

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts

today’s the day!!!!! Let’s make some power!!!!
Old 10-29-2017, 08:52 AM

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts

17lbs
Old 10-29-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AP1Chief
17lbs
Yeah... the car is damn fast... hahahahaha!!!