S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Which ECU to go

Old 10-01-2015, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which ECU to go

Hey guys.

I know there is probably such a thread already, but i could not find answers for the questions i intend to ask. Aim is to tune the ECU with the mods i have.

So i have a 2006 AP2.

Have mods: "Skunk2 megapower" exhaust
Invidia decat testpipe
And i have an AEM Cold air intake. The one that goes under a passenger lamp.

I definately feel some gains after installing all of the mods, compared to the stock. But i think, i need to, of course, upgrade my ECU. Now unfortunately, neither in Norway nor in Lithuania am i able to find any people with proper insights. I have friends racing s2000 and couple of friends who went with Hondata. But i've read and they report, that there's a lot of "playing" around with Hondata, to eliminate all O2 sensor errors and that it's very unstable. The friend who races the s2000 says i should go for AEM, but on forums i've read on some other alternatives. Would be awesome to get some tips for where to go, since opinions divide and i don't want to rush in this whole situation.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Flashpro is really your only economical option.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by slowd16
It's more of a matter of GOOD Solution, money is not THAT essential. But probably your're right. Although i'm really tempted by AEM too...
Old 10-01-2015, 11:36 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yangas
Originally Posted by slowd16' timestamp='1443723921' post='23763454
It's more of a matter of GOOD Solution, money is not THAT essential. But probably your're right. Although i'm really tempted by AEM too...
youre better off with the flashpro than an AEM. It will be easy to tune and the car will run smoother. especially on starts.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:58 AM

But i've read and they report, that there's a lot of "playing" around with Hondata, to eliminate all O2 sensor errors and that it's very unstable.
Not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying the Hondata caused the O2 problems or are they trying to use it to eliminate the errors? BTW, I (my tuner) was able to tune my turbo set up with a Flashpro nicely.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:54 PM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Look no further than Greg Esmond (gernby2002@yahoo.com)

A Gernby Honda FlashPro tune should work on the European version (but check). Assuming it does all the data between you and Gernby is by email and easy to apply. Several step process -- mine took about two weeks of full throttle road tests and data exchanges. Transformed the car! Accelerates so fast it hits the rev limiter much quicker than before.

Hardest thing about FlashPro is getting it plugged into the ODB2 port with normal hands.

-- Chuck
Old 10-02-2015, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Super Nintendo Chalmers
Originally Posted by yangas' timestamp='1443723035' post='23763426
But i've read and they report, that there's a lot of "playing" around with Hondata, to eliminate all O2 sensor errors and that it's very unstable.
Not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying the Hondata caused the O2 problems or are they trying to use it to eliminate the errors? BTW, I (my tuner) was able to tune my turbo set up with a Flashpro nicely.
Ye, there was an issue that it was always showing O2 sensor error and was really tricky and took a lot of tinkering with to make it work.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Look no further than Greg Esmond (gernby2002@yahoo.com)

A Gernby Honda FlashPro tune should work on the European version (but check). Assuming it does all the data between you and Gernby is by email and easy to apply. Several step process -- mine took about two weeks of full throttle road tests and data exchanges. Transformed the car! Accelerates so fast it hits the rev limiter much quicker than before.

Hardest thing about FlashPro is getting it plugged into the ODB2 port with normal hands.

-- Chuck
Thank you so much. Will definitely consider that. Read a lot reviews about that Gernby guy, so what i should do, is prolly order Flashpro and then contact him right? Not the other way around ?
Old 10-02-2015, 06:39 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Greg can tune your car via your FlashPro. This is road tuning, not dyno, so can be done anywhere. This was a tremendous advantage for me.

It's not a trivial expense as FlashPro itself retails for about US$700 (commonly discounted nearer to US$600). My sample of one (1) says it's worth it as the car is much more enjoyable with the increased mid-range torque and power. The car is wonderful to start with! Shop around for a FlashPro. They're proprietary and only work on your ECU. A used one has to be "unlocked" from the former car before it can be used on your car -- and you cant tune your buddy's car with yours unless you unlock it from yours (which returns it to stock tune). Note there are different versions of FlashPro to work with North American, Asian. and European ECUs and you need the right one.

Greg charges about $100 for his services. Process was simple once I got over the fear of flashing the ECU. Takes about 90 seconds via the OBS2 port under the dash and a laptop PC. The instruments flash and various sounds occur during the process. Fuel pump comes back on when done. Greg sends a set of seven (7) diagnostic calibrations which need to be loaded and the car run at WOT three (3) times on each one from about 1800 to 8000 rpm in 3d gear. Since 8000 rpm in 3d is about 80 mph (130 kmh) you need a good, clear road. One of the calibrations he likens to a "Prius towing a trailer" and takes a lot of road to get up to 8000 rpm! None of these calibrations are good for general driving so you'll be changing them with a laptop computer in the car and going back to a stock tune when done. Send the data to Greg and he'll send an interim tune and ask for more data. And he'll keep sending calibration sets and tunes until you and he are happy with the tune. I was able to run all the calibrations in less than 90 minutes on either straight back roads or on the Interstate highways early in the morning. Took three series of calibrations over over a month (paused by two weeks in France).

Contact Greg and see if he's OK with the European FlashPro. Of course there are many tuners who can to this on a dynomometer in a single day. I think Hondata licenses this to shops so you may be able to get a FlashPro tune without the expense of buying or owing the device itself but the cost is still several hundred dollars for the license and dyno time.

Good luck and have fun with the car!

-- Chuck
Old 10-02-2015, 06:59 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Ye, there was an issue that it was always showing O2 sensor error and was really tricky and took a lot of tinkering with to make it work.
I'm not sure what the issue was here but it possibly was an improperly setup KPRO. For US models, 00-05 have to use KPRO which involves swapping out the ECU, valve cover, and some sensors. 06+ have the FlashPro compatible ECU. I'm not that familiar with Euro spec cars so you should verify that Flashpro is compatible before buying. Flashpro simply plugs into the ODBII port, it couldn't be any simpler and is definitely the way to go if you can use it.

Quick Reply: Which ECU to go