S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Flashpro lower VTEC crossover tip

Old 11-23-2010, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashpro lower VTEC crossover tip

As you know the AP2 1st gear is rather short, while driving in the city and keeping up with the fast pace of stop & go traffic, I noticed that I would constantly shift at the stock Toda flash VTEC crossover point and felt the engagement (4200 rpm or so).
The VTEC engagement is based on RPM (4200) & MAP (8xx, don`t remember exact), I went into the advance parameter and set the MAP at 935 mBar for my new 4100 RPM engagement point.
My driveability is better now, the VTEC will only engage at more wide open throttle at 4100 RPM.
Cheers
Old 11-23-2010, 08:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Why does it bother you that VTEC would engage so much? If it is because you would feel the engagement, then it sounds like you just need to work on your tune a bit more. My VTEC engagement is undetectable, so I shift whereever I want, and don't ever think about whether VTEC is engaging.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gernby,Nov 23 2010, 09:05 AM
Why does it bother you that VTEC would engage so much? If it is because you would feel the engagement, then it sounds like you just need to work on your tune a bit more. My VTEC engagement is undetectable, so I shift whereever I want, and don't ever think about whether VTEC is engaging.
^ This. The ideal point to put VTEC is where the torque curves of both cams cross. At such a low RPM, the engine note isn't even perceptibly different.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gents,
I totally agree with you, I don`t feel my VTEC engaging at all when I stay on it...
What I have experienced is that during my normal driving I often shift 1st gear at about 4200 RPM with a certain load (MAP) sometimes I can feel the low/high/low cam change as I am shifting/disengaging the clutch to shift to 2nd gear, it has happen quite a few times, and I have been able to replicate it...
So this is what I did, I fine tuned my Toda reflash by slightly increasing the MAP value for the lowest VTEC crossover point, it is now adjusted to my own personnal driving habit.
I have had all their reflash (stock,Toda,Vortech) and now using the flashpro with the Toda tune until I can re-install my repaired SL Vortech blower...
I'm a very happy Hondata customer and the flashpro is what I had been waiting for.
And before somebody mentions it, no it is not a throttle/clutch/shifting coordination issue...
Cheers
Old 11-23-2010, 12:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i completely understand what rog06s2k is saying. like he said earlier, the cam may switch to the high cam (vtec) earlier than expected in the middle of normal part throttle driving. especially if you drive with a heavy foot.

on flashpro you can setup the vtec window my rpm and pressure. the lower point is usually meant for the rpm at which the setup makes the best transition at full throttle. the upper is for normal part throttle driving.

the window by pressure is what usually causes vtec to come in at the lower rpm point because of the load. if you drive with a heavy foot you'll cause the vtec crossover to come in on the lower rpm boundary.

the stock settings have the lower rpm boundary usually kicking in at 890 mbar. i usually leave it around 900 mbar.

k-pro has the same feature but the pressure window is simplified.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have mine set at 4k rpm, cant really feel it coming in only (slightly), it does feel stronger at 6k rpm but i think that's because its making quite a bit of boost by then.

I remember experimenting with vtec points (on the dyno) and noticed a kind of double dip shortly after the vtec had kicked in at its new point, when raising and lower vtec point.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my vtec window set at 97 kpa so i literally wouldn't go into vtec unless i floored it.

I liked it much better this way, as hitting vtec when you're daily driving and dont' want to feels silly.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're hitting VTEC daily driving, you need to get your foot out of the gas and not shift so high. I shift at 3.5k max, usually 2.5-3k depending on the gear. I find that I'm still keeping up with everyone else and I get 26mpg mixed driving.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by H22toF20,Nov 23 2010, 07:43 PM
If you're hitting VTEC daily driving, you need to get your foot out of the gas and not shift so high.
Are you friggin' kidding?!? I hit VTEC at least a couple times after each stop light without breaking any traffic laws.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gernby,Nov 23 2010, 04:49 PM
Are you friggin' kidding?!? I hit VTEC at least a couple times after each stop light without breaking any traffic laws.
Maybe I'm the only one that does this, but I drive like a normal person, until I decide it's play time. Their's typically zero reason to shift so high daily driving. At least set your MAP value higher, like stated earlier.

Quick Reply: Flashpro lower VTEC crossover tip