S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Flashpro...is it worth it on a stock S?

Old 03-08-2013, 01:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Flashpro...is it worth it on a stock S?

I know that Flashpro is highly recommended on this forum, but my situation seems to be a bit different than most of the posts I have read while searching.

I have an 06' with a bone stock motor, exhaust, etc. I do not plan on doing any performance mods in the future, not even a test pipe. I do not plan to get a professional tune after installing the Flashpro. I basically want to get the Flashpro for the additional "plug and play" performance it offers. So my question is this; would getting a Flashpro on an otherwise stock S be worth the money? Will I see decent enough gains to warrant the $700 price tag?

Also, anything I need to do as a preventative measure when installing the Flashpro?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:02 PM

If you're going to stick to the stock tune, then it'll do absolutely nothing.

If you're gonna use the "stock tuned" map, then you'll definitely notice it
Old 03-08-2013, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only thing you are going to gain is at mid range, because you can lower the vtec point to 4k. And maybe the launch control.
At 4k the vtec kick won't be as strong as 6k. So it's really up to you if you think its worth it.
More HP early or throw you back to your seat vtec kick at 6k
I don't know much about engine managements, but I am pretty sure there is no such thing is "plug and play" performance with the flashpro. You really need to tune it right IMO.
I got my flashpro and tuned, and my car is pretty much stock, just a high flow cat at the time. For me it's worth it
Old 03-08-2013, 02:29 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

There will definitely be nice improvements, it really is up to you on whether or not it is worth the price. Unless you are driving car pretty hard already, what you gain from the FlashPro could probably be gained from driving alone. I wouldn't recommend it unless you feel the car is limiting you in some way.

For some it might be useful just for daily driving I suppose, increased low end power and what not. It really isn't a matter of: "Is FlashPro better money spent than 'A' or 'B' or 'C', FlashPro will give you the option to make your car that much better in addition to 'A', 'B', or 'C'.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:10 PM

I probably should have been more specific. I plan on using the Flashpro so I can use the "stock tuned" map. The idea of lowering vtec (5600 with stock cat, if I remember correctly) and increasing redline is appealing to me. I am also looking for a bit more power in the mid range, so this might be a mod that is worth the money in my eyes.

Any experience with anyone else using Flashpro with a stock motor/exhaust would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

On a bone stock motor, what you just described is exactly what you will get, vtec transition will be smooth (wont feel a kick) and you will make a bit more power, it will be tuned a little better so you will probably pick up a few hp throughout the entire powerband just by having good AFRs, and the redline will be increased to 8500, which will keep you in vtec when you shift into 2nd at redline.

Not to mention the ability to datalog and such so if you ever have issues it will make pinpointing the problem much easier.

If this sounds appealing to you, then I would say yes, Flashpro is definitely worth it. And hell, in the future if you ever plan on a test pipe / exhaust, then you already have the right hardware to get it tuned. If I had an 06+, the first thing I would do regardless of what I planned on doing with the s2k would be to grab a flashpro
Old 03-08-2013, 05:48 PM

How noticeable is the change in "throttle lag" on the DBW AP2's with a Flashpro? Significant, or not really?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

buy a $60 ebay test pipe and get a professional tune, it will make a world of difference

if your going to get a flashpro use it to its full potential....
Old 03-10-2013, 01:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was gonna post a thread similar to this but I guess this answers my question lol
I need more seat time first that's for sure though...
Old 03-10-2013, 01:42 PM

Was going to post the exact same question lol.

Quick Reply: Flashpro...is it worth it on a stock S?