S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Flashpro...is it worth it on a stock S?

Old 03-11-2013, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The FlashPro will also allow you to pull and read OBD trouble codes.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShortShift
How noticeable is the change in "throttle lag" on the DBW AP2's with a Flashpro? Significant, or not really?
anyone got any insight on this question? i didn't catch it if it was answered.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:59 AM

Throttle lag? in a stock MY06+?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 PM

Can you leave the factory redline in place, or do you have to go to 8500 on the redline with the Flashpro?
Old 03-13-2013, 05:42 AM

you can set it where you want it
Old 03-13-2013, 07:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deibit
Throttle lag? in a stock MY06+?
It eliminates revhang completely, and you can remap the throttle/pedal however you like.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What is your goal? What do you use your car for? Do you plan on doing some tuning and adjustments yourself?

I have a flashpro on my stock CR(paper cone filter and all) and I love the thing, but I track and autocross my car and tune it myself. I don't think it would make a big difference in regular street driving. It's awesome for autocross, especially beginner to novice level, because with the wide powerband you don't have to shift. It's convenient for the track, again, because I could get away without shifting in a few more places, but I don't think it made me any faster. Without a HFC, you can pick up midrange, but you'll go pretty rich right at the VTEC cutover point and you don't really have the granularity to tune it out without affecting AFRs later. This will make the overall power curve pretty ugly, but you can adjust the VTEC point so that the dip is below the rev range you use on track.

Overall, peak hp and torque were pretty much the same as stock. Here's my dyno chart.
7 is the "stock tuned" calibration with some fueling adjustments I made.
10 is the "stock" calibration that I changed the VTEC engagement and redline to match the "stock tuned" and made fueling adjustments
12 is completely stock

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92573320@N08/8460906328/http://www.flickr.com/photos/92573320@N08/8460906328/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/92573320@N08/, on Flickr

*Note: I strongly believe the dyno was reading pretty high when I tuned my car, so don't pay much attention to the absolute numbers but more the difference between runs.

You can see even the completely stock calibration has a dip right after VTEC is engaged, but it's a little higher in the revs with the stock engagement point.

There's more info on my car's thread in post #28 here:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/100...r/page__st__25
Old 03-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even the "stock tuned" map (5600 vtec and 8400 or 8500 redline--can't remember which redline) makes the car a lot more enjoyable to drive. You won't drop out of vtec on the 1-2 shift anymore and you can be a little lazier with your shifts while staying in the power. As mentioned you can also datalog and pull error codes. Is it worth $700 just for that? Perhaps. I bought my Flashpro knowing full well I was going to get a testpipe and a tune eventually, so I was only on the "stock tuned" map for a few months.

If you are willing to consider spending $700 for the "stock tuned" map alone, I cannot fathom why you would not consider spending the other $290 it takes to buy a testpipe and a professional e-tune. You will absolutely feel the gains at that point because you can get vtec into the low 4000s once you install the testpipe and you'll gain well over 20 ft-lb of torque throughout the midrange. The car will be a night and day difference over stock or even the stock tuned map.

Now if you have some reason to not use a testpipe such as "hurting the environment" or your state does inspections, you can still get a high-flow cat and drop vtec down fairly low vs. with the stock cat. This again would be well worth it.

I just don't see the sense personally in spending $700 for a Flashpro but not willing to drop another few hundred to fully unlock its potential. I can't stress enough how much better, faster, and more fun the car is when you use this combination of parts and tuning.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:25 PM

for those of you who mentioned the DBW lag being fixed by flash pro, was it fixed only when you had it tuned or was it fixed with the stock tuned map?

the lag on my car does annoy me and my mechanic said i should get flashpro and they will tune it. I kind of dont want to spend the $ on a tune until i get a high flow or some other parts. but that will be down the line.

i will be running stock tune for now if i got the flash pro
Old 04-22-2013, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by odb812
What is your goal? What do you use your car for? Do you plan on doing some tuning and adjustments yourself?

I have a flashpro on my stock CR(paper cone filter and all) and I love the thing, but I track and autocross my car and tune it myself. I don't think it would make a big difference in regular street driving. It's awesome for autocross, especially beginner to novice level, because with the wide powerband you don't have to shift. It's convenient for the track, again, because I could get away without shifting in a few more places, but I don't think it made me any faster. Without a HFC, you can pick up midrange, but you'll go pretty rich right at the VTEC cutover point and you don't really have the granularity to tune it out without affecting AFRs later. This will make the overall power curve pretty ugly, but you can adjust the VTEC point so that the dip is below the rev range you use on track.

Overall, peak hp and torque were pretty much the same as stock. Here's my dyno chart.
7 is the "stock tuned" calibration with some fueling adjustments I made.
10 is the "stock" calibration that I changed the VTEC engagement and redline to match the "stock tuned" and made fueling adjustments
12 is completely stock

Untitled by odb812, on Flickr

*Note: I strongly believe the dyno was reading pretty high when I tuned my car, so don't pay much attention to the absolute numbers but more the difference between runs.

You can see even the completely stock calibration has a dip right after VTEC is engaged, but it's a little higher in the revs with the stock engagement point.

There's more info on my car's thread in post #28 here:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/100...r/page__st__25
I'm a complete newb so sorry if this is a stupid question, but it seems like you didn't gain any power whatsoever, in fact you even lost one HP in the "red" reading, is this correct? I was thinking about getting the FlashPro but I was hoping that at least I would gain something like 20 HP or so, is this unrealistic?

Quick Reply: Flashpro...is it worth it on a stock S?