S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Haltech vs AEM?

Old 03-21-2019, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Haltech vs AEM?

Has anyone had good experiences with Haltech ECU? Particularly with an AP1. I want to be able to pass smog and just plug in the OEM ECU when it comes time to smog then swap to the aftermarket with the saved engine management data.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

get haltech , every one around here parrots aem , but in the real world aem tech support sucks and there systems are incomplete compared to haltech , haltech is way more street
Old 03-27-2019, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I somewhat recently got a Haltech Elite 2500 along with Haltech's plug-and-play harness for my '05. It works pretty great, installation was easy-ish, and Haltech themselves were generally pretty cool. I would definitely recommend them. .

As far as Haltech tech support, if you need help, call after like 6pm EST. When you do that, you get routed to Haltech Australia (instead of Haltech USA). In my experience, Haltech Australia is quite a bit more helpful at troubleshooting issues. I think Haltech USA is more used to tuning like high budget, full-on, race cars; so they may not be great at troubleshooting like less extreme applications.

The ESP tuning software is also easy, but takes some getting used to. Once you get the hang of it, tuning is easy. The initial connection time takes forever though, but there is supposed to be a new patch coming soon to remedy that.

I would say get Haltech. I was in your position a few months ago and settled on the Elite after reading everything about it, AEM, MS, and the rest. The Haltech Elite is probably at the top of the prosumer tier, at least in my opinion. The next step up is probably a Syvecs or Motec ECU, and that's like double the price.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:04 PM

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts

I would ask your tuner what he prefers... and go with that.
The following users liked this post:
Ian300D (04-01-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 12:53 PM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Kind of random, but I’ve been leaning more towards haltech this whole time but I don’t think Elite series has a plug&ply kit tho like older S2K specific platinum series did. Elite has a “self learning” so Short/Long Term trims, OEM like ability, plus much more other cool features.

Now, If I'm wrong which i hope I am and there’s a P&P harness... I’ll get Haltech Elite ECU over AEM.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by EOE
Kind of random, but I’ve been leaning more towards haltech this whole time but I don’t think Elite series has a plug&ply kit tho like older S2K specific platinum series did. Elite has a “self learning” so Short/Long Term trims, OEM like ability, plus much more other cool features.

Now, If I'm wrong which i hope I am and there’s a P&P harness... I’ll get Haltech Elite ECU over AEM.
there is , i have it elite 1000 , plus you can buy extra plug and play kit
Old 04-15-2019, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beefystud
there is , i have it elite 1000 , plus you can buy extra plug and play kit
Side question, are you tuning it yourself or do you have a tuner?
Old 04-30-2019, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by SpyderGS
Side question, are you tuning it yourself or do you have a tuner?
im prolly going to start off with some one elses map downloaded off my computer with extension cord running out to garage , take it to the track, see the results , then take it to a tuner for dyno tune, then return to the track to see the different results
Old 05-03-2019, 04:35 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Make a list of the features you want, maybe ask here and on the NA or FI forum as appropriate, what features owners there like the most. Then narrow down the list of tuners you would use and what ECUs they support.

There are a lot of ECUs out there, and often different generations and different models within a generation. For example, AEM has the EMS-2, EMS-4, Infinity 5, and Infinity 7 series, and within the 5 and 7 three models each. Haltech has the 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, 2500T and the older Platinum Pro. They don't list a harness for 2000 for the 2000 or 2500, but third parties do.

Then, of course, there is Motec, etc.

The differences between models include different inputs and outputs, memory, what is supported. An example, Garage Whifbiz, a popular UK Supra shop, has adapted the M3 DCT to the Supra using a Syvecs 6+ ECU. Some people find it can't handle 4 wheels sensors without an expansion box. There are few tuners in the US, and they focus on Lamborghinis and GT-Rs.

Another example are the inputs to a traction control system. Some support yaw and lateral g sensors. Some don't. Some Haltech and other brands have time managed torque management, many don't.

Features and tuners. Or if you are tuning yourself, the application to do it. IMHO the Haltech app is very good and they have some very intuitive learning modes:

Old 05-10-2019, 04:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

how does Haltech Elite handle VTEC control? does it turn off VTEC during those throttle off periods between shifts? or does it latch VTEC on like Hondata?

Quick Reply: Haltech vs AEM?