S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Looking for reliable etuners

Old 10-26-2012, 09:27 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

in the worst case you can tow your car to the dyno.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:28 AM

and BTW - if there is a dyno but no proven tuner - i think you can arrange with a tuner of your choice to do "remote tuning" - they will just take over your computer remotely and see live data and do live tuning.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timg
For any heavily boosted turbocharged S2000, e-tunes are a horrible idea. Spend the time and money on a real dyno tune or learn how to tune yourself.

The SC is comparatively easy because you can predict exactly what it's going to do with a high degree of certainty. Turbo kits are all over the map in terms of response and if anything is plumbed wrong, you could blow your engine before the tune is even started. Ask a tuner how often they either have to turn away cars or spend hours working on cars that were "ready to go" yet come in with multiple problems... Turbo cars seem to be more susceptible to this than others.

Since you're in Rapid City, take the time to go down to Denver. There are a few good tuners down there.

Tim
How do you go about tuning your own car without ever doing it before and having to start on a boosted setup such as mine? I wish there were classes for tuning other than the 14k dollar one that's unacreditted over at Hennessey in Houston. I would love to do it myself, but where do you start? I've read all of the resources back for my old si when I was looking at tuning that and there was no turbo involved; just a blower. I couldn't figure it out. I tend to learn better with hands on and having someone there to walk me through the process. I would pay someone like Evans to teach me to tune, if I knew I would pick it up. It's not like I would be competing with anyone out there for business.

Originally Posted by miguel329
Evans etuned me, and ran really good now that i went id2000 return fuel setup he cant etune me, how do i get ahold of this other etuner? See what he can do.for me tjamks
etunez.com vitviper.

I just want low boost etune to drive car out of state for dino tuning
Where are you located?

Originally Posted by Croc
and BTW - if there is a dyno but no proven tuner - i think you can arrange with a tuner of your choice to do "remote tuning" - they will just take over your computer remotely and see live data and do live tuning.
That is possibly a good idea; however, in my case, I don't even think I have a dyno.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Excalibur
Originally Posted by timg' timestamp='1351249052' post='22109737
For any heavily boosted turbocharged S2000, e-tunes are a horrible idea. Spend the time and money on a real dyno tune or learn how to tune yourself.

The SC is comparatively easy because you can predict exactly what it's going to do with a high degree of certainty. Turbo kits are all over the map in terms of response and if anything is plumbed wrong, you could blow your engine before the tune is even started. Ask a tuner how often they either have to turn away cars or spend hours working on cars that were "ready to go" yet come in with multiple problems... Turbo cars seem to be more susceptible to this than others.

Since you're in Rapid City, take the time to go down to Denver. There are a few good tuners down there.

Tim
How do you go about tuning your own car without ever doing it before and having to start on a boosted setup such as mine? I wish there were classes for tuning other than the 14k dollar one that's unacreditted over at Hennessey in Houston. I would love to do it myself, but where do you start? I've read all of the resources back for my old si when I was looking at tuning that and there was no turbo involved; just a blower. I couldn't figure it out. I tend to learn better with hands on and having someone there to walk me through the process. I would pay someone like Evans to teach me to tune, if I knew I would pick it up. It's not like I would be competing with anyone out there for business.

Evans etuned me, and ran really good now that i went id2000 return fuel setup he cant etune me, how do i get ahold of this other etuner? See what he can do.for me tjamks
http://store.evans-tuning.com/etune.html

etunez.com vitviper.

I just want low boost etune to drive car out of state for dino tuning
Where are you located? Im in south carolina

That is possibly a good idea; however, in my case, I don't even think I have a dyno.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:05 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Excalibur
Originally Posted by timg' timestamp='1351249052' post='22109737

Tim

EFI 101 does tuning. They were either the first or one of the first groups doing that. I've done the 101 and Advanced course. The 101 is great for a beginner who wants help understanding the basics, Advanced is great for hands-on dyno tuning experience. When I took them, I had already spent a lot of time on dynos and tuning, but I still found the 101 course valuable. The Advanced was worth every penny.
http://www.efi101.co...EFI&country=USA

I believe Advanced Dyno and Performance in Rapid City has a dyno, though I do not remember what model. I dropped by once, but never used it.

You're lucky that if you learn a bit of tuning basics (maybe books, internet, and conversations can get you there), you have great roads around you for tuning. I used to use the on-ramps around there for tuning. I would start at 15 mph in 4th gear, floor it, stop around 80, and get an awesome datalog to start tuning with. As the tuning progressed, I would get into lower gears to hit more of the high RPM part of the map. Basically, on the interstate, off at the next exit, review the log, make changes, repeat. It was almost as fast as dyno tuning. If you want to discuss any of this, feel free to give me a call. Don't be scared of tuning, but do make the effort to learn as much as you can before attempting it. There are many, many safe things you can do, but also dumb things that can result in fast destruction of your car.

Tim

Old 10-28-2012, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by timg
Originally Posted by Excalibur' timestamp='1351301987' post='22111572
[quote name='timg' timestamp='1351249052' post='22109737']

Tim

EFI 101 does tuning. They were either the first or one of the first groups doing that. I've done the 101 and Advanced course. The 101 is great for a beginner who wants help understanding the basics, Advanced is great for hands-on dyno tuning experience. When I took them, I had already spent a lot of time on dynos and tuning, but I still found the 101 course valuable. The Advanced was worth every penny.
http://www.efi101.co...EFI&country=USA

I believe Advanced Dyno and Performance in Rapid City has a dyno, though I do not remember what model. I dropped by once, but never used it.

You're lucky that if you learn a bit of tuning basics (maybe books, internet, and conversations can get you there), you have great roads around you for tuning. I used to use the on-ramps around there for tuning. I would start at 15 mph in 4th gear, floor it, stop around 80, and get an awesome datalog to start tuning with. As the tuning progressed, I would get into lower gears to hit more of the high RPM part of the map. Basically, on the interstate, off at the next exit, review the log, make changes, repeat. It was almost as fast as dyno tuning. If you want to discuss any of this, feel free to give me a call. Don't be scared of tuning, but do make the effort to learn as much as you can before attempting it. There are many, many safe things you can do, but also dumb things that can result in fast destruction of your car.

Tim
[/quote]

I have a couple books. One which I made it through and another I didn't finish and I would love nothing more than to learn to tune. I don't think I have your number.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience, you're as likely to blow your F/I car up with a dyno tune as an eTune. It's just as easy to get carried away on a dyno as a street tune. I've seen my fair share of fail dyno tunes and street tunes. Choosing a reliable tuner should be priority #1.

I recently did an 01 AP1 on KPro w/ the Hondata TC. Vortech s/c setup on 91 octane @ 10psi or so. Full street tune, and since customer wanted numbers, put it on a dyno, spent half an hour for no additional gains, just verified I really wasn't crazy and the car was making good power on 91. 345.8whp/216.1wtq.

THis is it with the TC unit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugXektbr4-c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQSEnpjCzno
Old 01-22-2013, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Enjoy Racing
Welcome Vit! Are you etuning AEM yet or are you just sticking with the Hondata stuff?
Thanks. I've been a member on this forum for years, just never post!

I'm sticking with the Hondata stuff for now. I've spent a bit of time looking at the AEM units, but the Hondata products just lend themselves to be a lot easier to use for customers looking for an eTune. If there's anyone in the Pacific Northwest that wants help with an AEM tune, I'm in the PDX area pretty frequently.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by VitViper
Originally Posted by Enjoy Racing' timestamp='1358863368' post='22282908
Welcome Vit! Are you etuning AEM yet or are you just sticking with the Hondata stuff?
Thanks. I've been a member on this forum for years, just never post!

I'm sticking with the Hondata stuff for now. I've spent a bit of time looking at the AEM units, but the Hondata products just lend themselves to be a lot easier to use for customers looking for an eTune. If there's anyone in the Pacific Northwest that wants help with an AEM tune, I'm in the PDX area pretty frequently.
Congrats on the new business. Hey vit, you still got my email address? Can you hit me up with a quote for a supercharger (sos) tune for my S?
Old 01-27-2013, 05:48 AM

Vit, you're from e-tunez, aren't you?

Quick Reply: Looking for reliable etuners