S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Power Gains with Haltech Elite S2000 AP1 & AP2 plugin loom

Old 08-23-2017, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Gains with Haltech Elite S2000 AP1 & AP2 plugin loom

Hi Guys,
Why am I writing this. Well simply because I am stunned how good the Haltech Elite 1500 or 2500 ECU is and wish to share my development. With clever setting up it can adaptive learn fuel trim 3D tables for different E85%, (4 or 5 different sets of load V rpm trim tables) basically self trim fuel tuning and adaptive create 3D ignition corrections based the knock threshold v knock level sensed for different E85%. I recon this is unbelievable for a relatively cheap ECU. What this means is a safer tune and more power on fuels where the engine power is knock limited. And the S2000 here in Australia is knock limited on our crappy fuel.

Of course is does boost control, flex fuel, TC, launch control all the usual simple functions....and has extra inputs/outputs, 2 CAN bus, and supports OBD2.

I am in Australia and have been tuning bikes and cars for 40 years. I have dyno tuned many different ECU's from basic systems like Hondata to professional motorsport ECU's like Motec. I became a bit of a Honda nut from 2006 focusing mainly on the K series (600Whp supercharging Jaydee's All Out Rotrex and Twin Screw K motors - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum ) but lately by customer requests S2000 F20 has been my focus.

This all started when I was asked to dyno tune a S2000 AP1. Stock engine, fitted with Headers and a 3" exhaust. The customer had a Haltech Plug in Pro fitted and tuned elsewhere and was having issues with drive-ability and cold starting on pump fuel. I get pissed off when guys pay for a 1/2 ass tune.....but no ranting on my first post! Our premium fuel in Australia is called 98Octane but our rating system is crap as it's actually about USA 93Octane, however from my tuning experience it's knock resistance is a lot worse than USA 93. He road races his car as well as normal road use.

So on my dyno went his car with the Haltech Platimum Pro. I would like to point out that at this point I was not a Haltech dealer! I was once an electronic engineer so I understand how the DSP chips work and as a tuner what is required for a safe tune. My bone stock K20Z1 with bolt-ons ran 540Whp supercharged for 2 years driving on our 98Octane, no issues.

I tried many combinations of A/F Ratios and ignition timing but at close to maximum power his setup was on the threshold of knock. Hold 100% throttle for 7-10 seconds at 8000rpm on the dyno and it needed -3degs of timing to be safe which cost 15-20Whp depending on temperatures. At Phillip Island road racing circuit it's really fast and you are at 100% for most of the lap. So a safe tune was a power compromise. I had no success getting the Haltech Platinum Pro knock sensing to work.....To be fair the Hondata KPro S2000 has the same issues and does not provide any knock sensing which you can rely on IMO. I spoke to the Haltech design engineers and they assured me that the Elite series knock sensing circuitry & software works well and would solve our issue. His mate had already detonated his engine last year and F20's here are expensive so he bit the bullet and I made a conversion harness for his AP1 to the Elite 1500. The air-conditioning and gauge cluster all work still and we used the Haltech wideband lambda CAN sensor for air fuel ratio measurement.

After we calibrated the knock frequency, knock window and knock thresholds for optimum safety the ECU was programmed to create learned retard tables based on ethanol %. In the data log screenshot below we tested this process by lowering our knock threshold. As a result the Elite ECU sees a knock, retards the timing by our set value and adds a retard ignition valve in a table. The amount of retard added in this table depends on the % that the threshold was exceeded. Next time the motor is at that load/rpm point and ethanol % these table values are subtracted from the ignition timing.

Results
The first racing outing Vic Time Attack at Phillip Island for this S2000 with a Jaydee tuned Haltech Elite won the Street Class. Great result. Congratulations to the Owner.

Here's a couple of different cars dyno results overlayed on the same graph. Stock with 150,000+Klms on their speedo's on 98 Octane Australian fuel.

Power on the dyno is improved, however the drivers are reporting that power, top speeds and acceleration at the track is much better than expected by the dyno results. I can only assume that the stock ECU running open loop, remaps fuel and timing on extended full throttle and/or high speeds to preserve the motor.

Here's a F22C on flex fuel fitted with stage2 cams. An amazing 235Whp at E70%.

After all the effort figuring this out l decided to become Haltech dealer and I have these conversion looms in stock and will happily tune your car if your in Australia.
This is only a brief summary. More information is on a blog page here. Honda S2000 Haltech Elite 1500 Jaydee Harness or on facebook.

I have been amazed by this ECU. Companies and people who are promoting other products need to take a serious look as it's my experience that these power gains are impossible without this level of technology and it doesn't exist in all but the top end professional ECU's until now...... ECU's become a religious debate and most are rubbish. If you wish to throw stones at my research don't do it from a glass house......
The following users liked this post:
timg (08-24-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 11:21 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Interesting and it seems to be nice ecu.
Are you saying these motors are knock limited even on ethanol levels of 70% or higher?
Old 04-26-2018, 09:46 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I received this in an e-mail earlier this week: "We are working on an Elite application for the AP1 s2000, hopefully releasing this summer."

Haltech has a piggyback harness for the Elite on a 2001-2005 Lexus IS300s, 1999-2004 Mustang GTs, and Neon SRTs. Have you worked with any of those or made one for another brand? The issue is the factory ODBII is used for DMV vehicle inspections on ODBII vehicles. We also have a racing class that allows piggybacks on 1996-2005 vehicles, but probably less than 20 cars nationwide would be effected and fewer would make this sort of investment.

This is a picture of the IS300 harness:

Old 07-11-2018, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flanders
Interesting and it seems to be nice ecu.
Are you saying these motors are knock limited even on ethanol levels of 70% or higher?
Sorry not to reply. I didn't get a notification of the reply and not here much. This depends on the engine, fuel, FI/NA and cam combinations. For example a NA F22C's with compression depending on cams will be as maximum power is typically at the knock threshold . Also you get into knock limiting with stock F20C and FI or F20C on our Australian 98Octane(USA 93).

What you must realize is any tuner should find the maximum hp ignition point and then with all but the professional grade ECU's has to retard a couple of degrees for safety loosing around 6-10WHP everywhere. With the Elite you don't have to compromise power for safety.

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
I received this in an e-mail earlier this week: "We are working on an Elite application for the AP1 s2000, hopefully releasing this summer."

Haltech has a piggyback harness for the Elite on a 2001-2005 Lexus IS300s, 1999-2004 Mustang GTs, and Neon SRTs. Have you worked with any of those or made one for another brand? The issue is the factory ODBII is used for DMV vehicle inspections on ODBII vehicles. We also have a racing class that allows piggybacks on 1996-2005 vehicles, but probably less than 20 cars nationwide would be effected and fewer would make this sort of investment.
My S2000 Elite application has been available for over one year now with back to back wins 12 months apart at Phillip Island Time Attack round. I have worked on other engines with the ECU with equally impressive results. The Haltech ECU has 2 CAN ports. One for data logging and the wideband and expanded I/O. The second is an ODB11 port which you can wire into the car's harness for compliance.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:19 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jaydee quantum
Sorry not to reply. I didn't get a notification of the reply and not here much. This depends on the engine, fuel, FI/NA and cam combinations. For example a NA F22C's with compression depending on cams will be as maximum power is typically at the knock threshold . Also you get into knock limiting with stock F20C and FI or F20C on our Australian 98Octane(USA 93).

What you must realize is any tuner should find the maximum hp ignition point and then with all but the professional grade ECU's has to retard a couple of degrees for safety loosing around 6-10WHP everywhere. With the Elite you don't have to compromise power for safety.

My S2000 Elite application has been available for over one year now with back to back wins 12 months apart at Phillip Island Time Attack round. I have worked on other engines with the ECU with equally impressive results. The Haltech ECU has 2 CAN ports. One for data logging and the wideband and expanded I/O. The second is an ODB11 port which you can wire into the car's harness for compliance.
It supports ODBII? Is there documentation on what it supports? That could be huge...ODBII diagnostics are required for emissions testing, it is the only test made.

Your website says it supports all features and you explicitly focused on the knock sensors. Is the factory cruise control still functional? Does it support individual cylinder knock sensor detection?

This sounds interesting.