S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Quick Flashpro question..

Old 04-04-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Quick Flashpro question..

So I just installed my Berk HFC yesterday and I've purchased a Gernby tune and I'm ready to start the calibration testing where I do 3 pulls per calibration. I am totally new to this and my my computer skills are minimal. So much so that if I had any less computer literacy I would have been afraid to even attempt this. I'm not even sure that I will be able to email the datalogs back to him without lots of fumbling and trial and error. So far I have downloaded the flahpro program and registered and locked my flashpro. Just getting this far is a huge relief...lol. Per Gernby's instructions I am to download the 1st calibration and press datalog before driving a couple of miles before the first pull. Then after the first pull drive another half mile before the second pull. My question is:

Do I press the datalog button between each run to pause the recording or does Greg just "sift" through the data and pick out the individual pulls because they stick out like a sore thumb?

Any other tips or advice is welcome. I think I'll just try to do the first 3 run calibration tonight and see if I can send it to him to confirm its correct before attempting to run through them only to find I didn't save them/erase them. Who knows.....computers, anything can happen and who knows why sometimes.

thanks

Jon
Old 04-04-2017, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do one datalog per calibration(3 pulls) to keep it simple. I usually hit the record button right before my first pull, then. pull to the side of the highway and let cars pass and repeat. I also group calibrations that are in the same criteria together. For example, since the flash pro can hold two calibrations I would load up two 3k pulls(2800-8000rpm), then two 6k pulls, two "600"pulls and the one AFR pull.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:45 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

All three runs were stored in the same data set when I did it. Don't remember how it went but (finally) just followed the instructions. Sent them back as attachments to an email.

I was very nervous about doing this the first time and all the runs felt exactly the same! No surprise as I never actually loaded any of them for some reason. The second day it was taking forever to load the first one (at a parking lot a couple miles from home). Convinced nothing had happened I aborted the load and drove home to check stuff again. Tried to drive home. Car wouldn't start at all. ECU was not responsive. OK, try loading the stock tune and wait until the endless process completes. 90 seconds seems like forever. All the gauges flashed spasticly and the calibration was loaded. Gotta wait until that happens and the fuel pump powers on.

Third time was the charm! But it was still unnerving to load calibrations miles from home and rescue.

-- Chuck
The following users liked this post:
WVCR-V (04-05-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
All three runs were stored in the same data set when I did it. Don't remember how it went but (finally) just followed the instructions. Sent them back as attachments to an email.

I was very nervous about doing this the first time and all the runs felt exactly the same! No surprise as I never actually loaded any of them for some reason. The second day it was taking forever to load the first one (at a parking lot a couple miles from home). Convinced nothing had happened I aborted the load and drove home to check stuff again. Tried to drive home. Car wouldn't start at all. ECU was not responsive. OK, try loading the stock tune and wait until the endless process completes. 90 seconds seems like forever. All the gauges flashed spasticly and the calibration was loaded. Gotta wait until that happens and the fuel pump powers on.

Third time was the charm! But it was still unnerving to load calibrations miles from home and rescue.

-- Chuck
1 So you're saying that for each of the seven calibrations the gauges will flash and then you know its loaded?
2 So you just open the calibration that Gernby sent and then how do you get it to download onto the car's ECu?
3 Is it the "upload" arrow on the task bar on the top of the flashpro screen?
4 Do you shut the car off between calibrations to download the next calibration to the ECU?

Man, computers wreck my brain.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:33 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Just went through this. Assuming you will have to journey far from your house to do the pulls, you will need a laptop w/you. Warm car up before starting but in general the pattern is:

1.Load first calibration to ECU
2. Press datalog button on Flashpro (Make sure datalog is blinking)
3. Drive and find safe place to do the 3 pulls.
4. Pull over and load next calibration to ECU
5. Go to step #2

Repeat until done. After this you'll have 7 datalogs stored on your flashpro. Other tips....load the stock equivalent ECU to the secondary calibration in the flashpro device so you can load this in event of computer issues.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:41 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by WVCR-V
1 So you're saying that for each of the seven calibrations the gauges will flash and then you know its loaded?
2 So you just open the calibration that Gernby sent and then how do you get it to download onto the car's ECu?
3 Is it the "upload" arrow on the task bar on the top of the flashpro screen?
4 Do you shut the car off between calibrations to download the next calibration to the ECU?

Man, computers wreck my brain.
1. Depends on how you load the calibration, laptop vs. flashpro device. The PC software will let you know it's done.. If using the flashpro device the program red light will turn off . In both cases the car beeps when it's done IIRC. See #2.
2. Two ways to upload the calibrations.... via the device (it can hold 2 calibrations) or via laptop using the flashpro manager software and flashpro unit.
3. Yes, it's the up aarow button on the software. You first Open a calibration then upload it. The computer needs to be connected to the flashpro device and device connected to OBDII port.
4. Car should not be running when flashing so sure, probably best to turn key off then back on to do the next flash.

I recommend practicing in your driveway before hitting the road. You'll want to get familiar with the "Flashpro" button in the PC software. It shows you which flashes are currently loaded into the flashpro, it's data logs and various other bits about the device.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch
1. Depends on how you load the calibration, laptop vs. flashpro device. The PC software will let you know it's done.. If using the flashpro device the program red light will turn off . In both cases the car beeps when it's done IIRC. See #2.
2. Two ways to upload the calibrations.... via the device (it can hold 2 calibrations) or via laptop using the flashpro manager software and flashpro unit.
3. Yes, it's the up aarow button on the software. You first Open a calibration then upload it. The computer needs to be connected to the flashpro device and device connected to OBDII port.
4. Car should not be running when flashing so sure, probably best to turn key off then back on to do the next flash.

I recommend practicing in your driveway before hitting the road. You'll want to get familiar with the "Flashpro" button in the PC software. It shows you which flashes are currently loaded into the flashpro, it's data logs and various other bits about the device.
Ok, thanks. This really helps. I understood the instructions from Gerby as they were written but I didn't realize the calibrations had to be "uploaded" to the car's ecu. The instructions say "download" an I thought that just meant open his calibrations and then hit datalog and do the pulls. I skipped the step of uploading calibration to ECU. Seems like that might be important...lol.

I'll try again tomorrow and report back. Good advice on practicing in driveway. I'll do that too.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:53 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm going to try and write a very detailed and complete step-by-step guide for you on how to do this, I work in IT for a living so this stuff comes second nature to me.
  1. Go to your e-mail from Greg (Gernby) and download the calibration to your laptop. Make sure you save it to a folder you can easily find the calibration, typically in Windows anything downloaded defaults to a Download folder in C:\My Documents\Downloads
  2. Go to your car, plug in the FlashPro to the OBD2 connector located under the steering wheel on the drivers side of the vehicle by your right knee, then plug the FlashPro device to your laptop by connecting the USB cable from FlashPro to the USB port.
  3. Open the FlashPro application, if FlashPro is properly connected you will see a green check mark next to FlashPro, OBDII, and ECU. Note that there is an issue with some of the newer versions of Windows having issues connecting to FlashPro, you may have to unplug and plug the USB cable that connects to the FlashPro several times until you see the green check marks.
  4. Click on File then click on Open, browse to the location you saved your calibration to in Step 1. Click on the file, and click on Open
  5. Now put your key in the ignition and turn the key all the way forward, do not start the car. You should now see a 4th check mark next to Live, this means the Laptop is communicating with your car's ECU and is ready to upload.
  6. Click Online, then click Upload. The program will now upload the calibration to your car. It is very important that during this time you do not turn off your car, nor disconnect the USB or OBD2 connectors. Once the Upload has completed you will get a prompt on your laptop as well as the car will flash the dash lights and beep at you.
  7. You can now start your vehicle, follow Gernby's instructions on what is needed to get your car ready to datalog. Usually you want to get the car fully warmed up and at a location that will allow you to safely do the necessary pulls in 3rd gear). It is important that you find a smooth level road with no traffic, if you have to let out of the throttle for any reason during a datalog you will have to repeat that run.
  8. Once vehicle is warmed up and you at your ideal location, click on the Datalog button on the FlashPro unit itself. Do not use the Datalog function in the application, only datalog using the actual FlashPro device itself.
  9. Do the runs specified by Gernby in your e-mail (each set of emails will have different instructions on what you need to do for those runs)
  10. Once completed, pull over to a safe place and hit the Datalog button on the FlashPro device again. This will stop the datalog and save the file to your FlashPro device.
  11. On your laptop click on the button marked FlashPro (next to Calibration and the BlueTooth icon)
  12. Select your datalog, FlashPro creates the files sequentially, so the last datalog you did will be the last one listed. Click on the Save As button and save the Datalog on your computer, as you did in Step 1, make sure you save the file to a folder that you can easily find. Make sure the datalog fully saves, sometimes FlashPro has an issue creating a Datalog and if so you may need to do it over.
  13. Once the Datalog is saved I recommend clearing out all the old datalogs you may have by clicking on the "Delete All" button. This simplifies the process of finding your datalog as only one should be listed the next time you datalog. This is a personal preference and not required
  14. After completing all of your modified calibration runs (unless its the final one), flash your ECU back to the stock calibration. The testing calibrations are not meant to be daily drive on.
  15. You can now close your laptop and drive back home. Once you are home you can turn off your car and disconnect from the FlashPro device. It is OK to leave the FlashPro device in your vehicle and connected to the OBD2 connector and the USB cable, just unplug the cable from your latpop.
  16. Once you have an internet connection, reply to Gernby's email and attach the datalog you saved in Step 12. In some cases you may have to do several datalogs for several different calibrations, just follow steps 4 - 6 to upload the next calibration, and stpes 7 - 12 to save the datalog.
Hopefully that helps you through the process, if you need clarification of any of the above steps, let me know!

Last edited by Kenny_Stang; 04-06-2017 at 03:21 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kenny_Stang:
osu1978 (04-05-2017), rokkerkory (08-05-2017), SweetWaterSurprise (08-04-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
I'm going to try and write a very detailed and complete step-by-step guide for you on how to do this, I work in IT for a living so this stuff comes second nature to me.
  1. Go to your e-mail from Greg (Gernby) and download the calibration to your laptop. Make sure you save it to a folder you can easily find the calibration, typically in Windows anything downloaded defaults to a Download folder in C:\My Documents\Downloads
  2. Go to your car, plug in the FlashPro to the OBD2 connector located under the steering wheel on the drivers side of the vehicle by your right knee, then plug the FlashPro device to your laptop by connecting the USB cable from FlashPro to the USB port.
  3. Open the FlashPro application, if FlashPro is properly connected you will see a green check mark next to FlashPro, OBDII, and ECU. Note that there is an issue with some of the newer versions of Windows having issues connecting to FlashPro, you may have to unplug and plug the USB cable that connects to the FlashPro several times until you see the green check marks.
  4. Click on File then click on Open, browse to the location you saved your calibration to in Step 1. Click on the file, and click on Open
  5. Now put your key in the ignition and turn the key all the way forward, do not start the car. You should now see a 4th check mark next to Live, this means the Laptop is communicating with your car's ECU and is ready to upload.
  6. Click Online, then click Upload. The program will now upload the calibration to your car. It is very important that during this time you do not turn off your car, nor disconnect the USB or OBD2 connectors. Once the Upload has completed you will get a prompt on your laptop as well as the car will flash the dash lights and beep at you.
  7. You can now start your vehicle, follow Gernby's instructions on what is needed to get your car ready to datalog. Usually you want to get the car fully warmed up and at a location that will allow you to safely do the necessary pulls in 3rd gear). It is important that you find a smooth level road with no traffic, if you have to let out of the throttle for any reason during a datalog you will have to repeat that run.
  8. Once vehicle is warmed up and you at your ideal location, click on the Datalog button on the FlashPro unit itself. Do not use the Datalog function in the application, only datalog using the actual FlashPro device itself.
  9. Do the runs specified by Gernby in your e-mail (each set of emails will have different instructions on what you need to do for those runs)
  10. Once completed, pull over to a safe place and hit the Datalog button on the FlashPro device again. This will stop the datalog and save the file to your FlashPro device.
  11. On your laptop click on the button marked FlashPro (next to Calibration and the BlueTooth icon)
  12. Select your datalog, FlashPro creates the files sequentially, so the last datalog you did will be the last one listed. Click on the Save As button and save the Datalog on your computer, as you did in Step 1, make sure you save the file to a folder that you can easily find. Make sure the datalog fully saves, sometimes FlashPro has an issue creating a Datalog and if so you may need to do it over.
  13. Once the Datalog is saved I recommend clearing out all the old datalogs you may have by clicking on the "Delete All" button. This simplifies the process of finding your datalog as only one should be listed the next time you datalog. This is a personal preference and not required
  14. You can now close your laptop and drive back home. Once you are home you can turn off your car and disconnect from the FlashPro device. It is OK to leave the FlashPro device in your vehicle and connected to the OBD2 connector and the USB cable, just unplug the cable from your latpop.
  15. Once you have an internet connection, reply to Gernby's email and attach the datalog you saved in Step 12. In some cases you may have to do several datalogs for several different calibrations, just follow steps 4 - 6 to upload the next calibration, and stpes 7 - 12 to save the datalog.
Hopefully that helps you through the process, if you need clarification of any of the above steps, let me know!

That was super helpful. Thank you for taking the time to write that all out. I just went out and did 3 runs for the first calibration, downloaded and saved them, then emailed to Gernby for approval before I do all the calibrations. I think I did it right. I know I'll have to repeat the first one but that's ok.

This should be stickied at the top of the forum because i can't be the only bonehead here.....right guys? Guys...?
Old 04-05-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by WVCR-V
That was super helpful. Thank you for taking the time to write that all out. I just went out and did 3 runs for the first calibration, downloaded and saved them, then emailed to Gernby for approval before I do all the calibrations. I think I did it right. I know I'll have to repeat the first one but that's ok.

This should be stickied at the top of the forum because i can't be the only bonehead here.....right guys? Guys...?
You're welcome, glad it helped!
The following users liked this post:
WVCR-V (04-05-2017)

Quick Reply: Quick Flashpro question..