S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

6266 vs 6466

Old 10-12-2018, 07:31 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
You don't need 1700's and 2000's, especially with a non ethanol based fuel. I am on E85 and have ID1000 primaries and ID1700 secondaries with no fueling issues. Gas based stuff will require far less injector. Email me any fueling questions you have: stuart@t1racedevelopment.com
Yeah, I understand that but I'll be on either pump e85 or a race version of e85 and I already have the 2000's, so I figured going with a 1700 as primaries would be good. Maybe 1000's and 2000's then? I'm trying to get near 1000 whp on e85 with twin 112 psi max 450 pumps.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:12 AM

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Yeah, I understand that but I'll be on either pump e85 or a race version of e85 and I already have the 2000's, so I figured going with a 1700 as primaries would be good. Maybe 1000's and 2000's then? I'm trying to get near 1000 whp on e85 with twin 112 psi max 450 pumps.
The ID1050x will provide FAR better idle, go with those. Email me and I’ll crunch some numbers on the total combo with injectors and pumps
The following users liked this post:
Spoolin (10-13-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 07:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
What is the purpose of the car you are building?
This is the most important question. I don't think we talk about this topic enough in this forum.

So many guys come in here chasing numbers and don't know what those numbers truly mean in the real world. An S2000 that makes 400hp to the ground is a REALLY fun street car, but it's not looked at as favorably by a lot of newbies because they see the bigger numbers. On the street...just the street, not racing or tracking...400hp is more than enough for 90% the people who want to modify their cars. It's double the stock power for god sakes. Literally twice as fast.

With that said, I agree with the notion of getting the smallest turbo that can comfortably meet your goals. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably have stayed with a 50-55mm turbo and maxed it out only when I tracked it. I thought I was going to race it a lot more than I did and it turns out being truly competitive in drag racing is a LOT of money and LOT of time that I simply didn't have the dedication for. I built the car to go 10's and that's what it ended up being, which comes with a ton of sacrifices that made it much less fun to drive on the street. I tried to have it both ways and in many ways I did - but in the ways that ultimately mattered to me in the long term I feel like I failed. Turns out having to beat on the car to get it to "move" sounds better on the computer than it does from behind the wheel. I feel like a lot of that came down to the power band that the 60+mm turbo's have on a 2.0L...all top end. Which is ****ing great when you want it, not so great when you don't.

Cliffs - it's a lot easier to start small(er) and progressively move your way up. Going the other direction is much harder than it seems.
The following 2 users liked this post by spectacle:
Spoolin (10-14-2018), StocS2k (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-24-2018, 04:52 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by spectacle
This is the most important question. I don't think we talk about this topic enough in this forum.

So many guys come in here chasing numbers and don't know what those numbers truly mean in the real world. An S2000 that makes 400hp to the ground is a REALLY fun street car, but it's not looked at as favorably by a lot of newbies because they see the bigger numbers. On the street...just the street, not racing or tracking...400hp is more than enough for 90% the people who want to modify their cars. It's double the stock power for god sakes. Literally twice as fast.

With that said, I agree with the notion of getting the smallest turbo that can comfortably meet your goals. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably have stayed with a 50-55mm turbo and maxed it out only when I tracked it. I thought I was going to race it a lot more than I did and it turns out being truly competitive in drag racing is a LOT of money and LOT of time that I simply didn't have the dedication for. I built the car to go 10's and that's what it ended up being, which comes with a ton of sacrifices that made it much less fun to drive on the street. I tried to have it both ways and in many ways I did - but in the ways that ultimately mattered to me in the long term I feel like I failed. Turns out having to beat on the car to get it to "move" sounds better on the computer than it does from behind the wheel. I feel like a lot of that came down to the power band that the 60+mm turbo's have on a 2.0L...all top end. Which is ****ing great when you want it, not so great when you don't.

Cliffs - it's a lot easier to start small(er) and progressively move your way up. Going the other direction is much harder than it seems.
Very well said. I set out with similar goals, but knew right from the get that drag racing the car wasn't part of my plan. I wanted the ultimate Street S2000, something the wife and I could still hop in and cruise around town in, with plenty of power to keep the pesky subaru vape boiz, and these newer domestics at bay.

I feel like with some planning and thought, it's possible to get a 600+ whp street car with very few compromises. In my case, the biggest nuisance is the twin disc clutch, which could have been avoided by running something like the SOS carbon twin as I hear it's much easier to drive, and much quieter.

Outside of the clutch, I feel like heat would be the next issue for us street drivers.

With those addressed, and proper turbo sizing, I don't see a ton of other places to make compromises. My car still has full A/C and cruise, and runs like a stock car outside of boost.

I originally built the kit with the s366 w/ an open .88a/r hotside and while the car made good power (500) on pump, it was super laggy and didn't do much until 6500. This was fine for roll racing, but it certainly felt a bit flat around town.

This year I swapped to a twinscroll .91a/r hotside and what a difference it made. The car spools so much faster, and the difference in transient response is night and day. The mid range torque around town is much more prevalent, and it still has plenty of room for power up top. I honestly wouldn't want it to spool any sooner and am very happy with the turbo choice overall. Same 66mm turbo, completely different powerband.
The following users liked this post:
Spoolin (10-24-2018)