Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Turbo vs supercharging?

Old 06-21-2007, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo vs supercharging?

Hey guys,

I've looked around a little bit and see a number of people who have supercharged and a number of people who have turbocharged their S2000s. I'm really trying to establish what the benefits of either one is and what people prefer.

My understanding was supercharging would give a better boost in the low end of the power band as opposed to more power in the higher revs. Wouldn't this be better considering we don't have that much power in the low end stock?

I've even seen someone switch from supercharged to turbocharged.

So what're the benefits?
Old 06-21-2007, 04:03 AM
Banned

turbo vs supercharger is like a plasma vs lcd debate. they are both good, but have advantages/disadvantages.

Personally i'd go the turbo if your thinking of FI. You get more top end power off the turbo as the turbo is powered off the exhaust. The supercharger is limited to the speed that your engine crank spins at as that is what it is connected to.

to cut a long story short -
supercharger, no lag, but less top end power
turbo - lag until there is enough exhaust gases passing the turbine spinning, once it spools up more top end potential.

sure there isn't that much power below the vtec band.....but then again there isn't all that much more power in the vtec band which is why your thinking of forced induction.

Keep in mind this will cost you around 10K to start with, not even touching engine internals or counting any of the extra stuff you are going to want like suspension, exhaust, electronic boost controllers and guages and all that other crap. Something goes wrong with your engine and your up for anywhere between 5-10K for a replacement. If you thought s2k is already expensive to maintain wait until you turbo it; not sure if you have owned a turbo car before but they are a pain in the arse not to mention cops and defects and other shite.

My advice is if you want something faster, save the money your gonna dump on the FI, sell the s2k and buy something thats faster in stock form. At least then when you sell you'll recoup some of the cash, modifying the car you might as well kiss the money goodbye.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:25 AM

But what would you buy with $40k (selling the S2000) + $10k (for the forced induction) that would really be any great improvement?
Old 06-21-2007, 04:31 AM
Banned

are you willing to sacrifice your drop top?
Old 06-21-2007, 04:41 AM

For the right car, sure =P It'd have to be pretty damn attractive though.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:17 PM

s2000 expensive to maintain??? lol, u obviously havent owned an rx7, evo, or a euro.

as far as a car that is quick out of the box, evo, 350z, audi s4 or any of the v8 cars. they are all around the $50k range and r plenty quick. where do u want to go in such a hurry anyway fangio?
Old 06-21-2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dragon Curve,Jun 21 2007, 09:19 PM
My understanding was supercharging would give a better boost in the low end of the power band as opposed to more power in the higher revs.
You are correct only if there is a root or screw style supercharger for the s2k. Two companies tried to design this type of sc but have not reach mass production yet. The 2 common kits for our car use the centrifugal superchargers. This is more helpful at top end. There is a fair amount of lag.
Pro: simple and easy to install
Cons: regular review, adjustment & belt replacement.

If the turbo selection is correct there shouldn't be any lag.
Pro: more midrange, more fun
Cons: lots.....most of this is covered on the FI forum.

If I have to do everything again, I think I will try the Greddy kit with a stand alone computer eg aem ems.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:56 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=494395

The GReddy kit looks awesome. Does this kit fit right hand drive? It seems like a pretty comprehensive kit for the price
Old 06-21-2007, 07:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn, did some one import this thread from OzHonda?

Dragon, there are about a million threads on this very subject in the Forced Induction forum.

With the exception of a couple of very rare and expensive Japanese systems all the FI kits are designed for LHD. That said, both the available SC kits fit with little modification.

Most turbo kits do not fit as they frequently mount the turbo low beside the engine. We have a steering rod there. StevHarr learned this the hard way.

Now, whereas SCs are known for low-end boost this is not true of the two kits available for the S2000. The reputation was earned from positive displacement SCs. As Aust pointed out, no one has successfully built a PD blower for the S. About 5 companies I know of have tried and one is suggesting it will have one "Real Soon Now" but they've been saying that for about two years. And from what I've seen it won't fit RHD anyway.

The two kits available are by Vortech and Comptech and use a centrifugal SC. Like a turbo but driven by the crank. The kits work, are easy to install and provide excellent top end but do very little for the bottom and mid-range. I had the Comptech and Honda9krpm had the Vortech.

There are plenty of turbo kits and partial kits in the US but the only one I can tell you for sure will fit the S2000 is the LoveFab V1. I have the manifold (top mount) and downpipe with a GT3071R turbo. Not sure about the IC piping as I made my own.

The new Greddy kit looks like a great entry level set up. Everything is included including engine management. Unfortunately I doubt it will fit RHD.

A properly spec'd turbo will spool so quick you won't have any noticable lag, will provide as much mid-range as you could ask for and more than adequate top end. It'll also drain every cent out of your bank account.