S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

AEM EMS 1052 fail safes for meth injection?

Old 10-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up AEM EMS 1052 fail safes for meth injection?

Well my engine is going it seems. I will be putting an F22 engine/trans in my car this winter I think. I also plan to rebuild my vortech blower and upgrade the bearings as well as the compressor wheel which should provide higher boost at the same size pulley.
This is the impeller I am looking at upgrading to.
http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/...h_impeller.php
Possibly also going to run a boost limiter valve to release over 12 or 14 psi but run a 17 or so psi pulley for a fatter power curve.
I also want to install those woodruff keys and see how they do.
Anyways. I was thinking of adding meth injection to get some cooler intake temps etc. I know that with the meth injection you can run much more aggressive timing to gain some nice power. So what about just using it for the cooler intake temps? Is there a big enough difference to make it worth it? Also if the timing was adjusted a bit using the meth, what if any failsafes does AEM EMS 1052 have for that?
I am not trying to squeeze every hp out of my system as I love to drive my car a lot! Put 15-20k miles on it every year.

So basically wondering

A is meth injection worth it(gains wise) to use mostly just for a cooler temp/safer tune at the same boost levels?

Would it be safer to run the same timing I am now but with meth injection to prolong the life of my setup?

B What if any failsafes with aem ems are there? For series 1 1052 unit.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted to go WMI instead of e85, but my tuner didn't trust it as he has never seen a system work correctly, and I didn't want to be a guinea pig.

I was then debating using it just for the cooling benefits, and not trying to get more power or anything, but what's the fun in that?

Good luck on your decision.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Well I figured it would help during the hotter months for sure. And if it helps the car run safer at more aggressive timing, wouldn't it also be safer at a milder timing map? Or is that not how it would work haha.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to consider this also. If you want to use WMI its not that simple with your aftercooler setup. Since the routing is so short and you have that valve that opens up at 12-14psi you could be shooting meth/water out of that valve whenever you hit that point. If its just water it isnt as bad but still... how does that valve hold up to these liquids?

Info on the fail safe.. AEM and some other companies have a flow gauge and can send a signal to one of the AEM EMS inputs when it detects a low/high flow situation. With the EMS setup right it will pull timing. Joeyballs has his setup this way.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used the aem water/meth for a while now and it works, but I am not a huge fan of it. It is questionable as to how much gets into each cylinder unless you go with a setup with 4 seperate nozzles. There is a lag with the system causing lean tip ins and the progressive pump output is not linear at all with pump output duty vs. flow. I only used it because I had no other choice to run as much boost as I wanted. I have now switched to e85 and i'm much happier with it.

If you do decide to run it then run the aem injection failsafe. You can monitor flow and trigger safeties in the AEM if it flows outside a specified range. I used this in conjunction with the nitrous maps to pull timing/increase fuel on mine.

Also do not run water/meth with the same timing you run on pump gas. Your car will make less power than it will on pump gas if you do this. Sure it will be safer than running straight pump gas, but your car will feel like a turd.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by sohc_mshue
I have used the aem water/meth for a while now and it works, but I am not a huge fan of it. It is questionable as to how much gets into each cylinder unless you go with a setup with 4 seperate nozzles. There is a lag with the system causing lean tip ins and the progressive pump output is not linear at all with pump output duty vs. flow. I only used it because I had no other choice to run as much boost as I wanted. I have now switched to e85 and i'm much happier with it.
This is why AEM or any 'progressive' style controlled injection is garbage for the street. In drag racing you can get away with the lag more because once it starts injecting it stays on for the most part between shifts. Turbo lag helps to mask the injection lag as well, but with SC its an total failure of a system. I ran the AEM kit for 3 years before I new any better, I hated the poor response and lean conditions but didn’t know what to do about it, even sent the controller back to AEM and they said it was normal.

So with that, the best way to go and solve that problem is what I am using now, a simple Hobbs pressure switch, a relay and a solenoid that opens when the Hobbs switch is triggered at your desired boost. Very simple, no bells or whistles (although you can add some and use your AEM EMS) It will inject 100% all at once, it does this because your pump is running at all times and recirculating through the pumps own bypass, much like your normal fuel pump operates.

A single pre TB injection works great when used with limited influence, best rule of thumb I think with this config is to set up your tune in a way that would be at the threshold of safe without it (assuming its failed) that way if there is any uneven distribution it wont cause any leaning in a cylinder. This method also offers more efficient IAT cooling being installed before the TB.

If you want even distribution and want to more safely cater your tune to a higher level from the benefit of meth, then the direct port is the way to go, its what I currently have graduated to. You can always run both single pre TB port and Multi in a duel stage if you want to get fancy and reap the benefits of both. Of course % of meth to water and what cc you are injecting and at what rpm/or boost amount will effect your tune and quality/safety of performance as well. No car/set up is cookie cutter, its a science as well as an art. So have fun. Its a great option ive enjoyed for several years with my SC set up
Old 10-10-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my take and I ran it for 5k ish miles. My gain was about 10whp from extra timing and more consistent runs from cooler iats on my roots blower setup that was way overspun. Without spray I saw 190 iat easy. With it saw 90-110ish in 80-90 degree weather wot 2-5 gear .

Now I just run pump gas on turbo

Thinking back though I shoulda just ran e85. That being said if u wanna run more boost then pump gas allows spray water meth. If u just want cooler iats just spray water. Water is way better at removing heat anyways.

Run 12 psi on pump gas and spray water. I bet it will kick ass and be super consistent. I used meth and overall am not bog fan of it. It's cheap way to get higher octane. But def most risky.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Former Sponsor

So you can really spray water? Does that damage anything in the long run? I wish I could run e85 but don't have any stations near me at all! If there were I would switch right over to that for sure.
I definitely don't want to run meth to the point where if it failed I would blow my engine. I plan to do a bunch of upgrades to hopefully get around 450whp with my vortech kit. Not trying to squeeze every hp out of it just thought if it made it safer I would go with it.

So whats the deal with running just water injection?
Old 10-10-2011, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am going to switch to Q 16 full time and am going to spray distilled water with it (smallest injector). It is the best way IMO. It will cool the charge and suppress detonation. You don't have to worry if it stops spraying because the car isnt pushed to the max (assuming car was tuned without)
Old 10-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Ok nice! Cheap and easy to fill up with just distilled water as well! So how does the water injection work? Same exact thing as water/meth just without the meth? No harm in spraying in water? Sorry not familiar with it at all and common sense would say spraying water in would be bad lol.

Quick Reply: AEM EMS 1052 fail safes for meth injection?