S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

AEM Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) w/ Supercharger

Old 01-30-2005, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) w/ Supercharger

Need to know if the AEM Fuel Pressure regulator has any advantages over the stock FPR.

Does it function as a stock FPR at vacuum to atmoshpheric pressure?

How bout at boost, how much does it increase the fuel pressure? 1:1?

With a Vortech supercharger and the upgraded fuel pump; Will it increase normal operating pressure before boost?

I noticed on the Vortech instructions to drill a hole on the Honda FPR. I believe this relieves more pressure away from the upgraded pump but I'm not quite sure. If so, will the AEM FPR be able to keep the N/A part of the engine operation without drilling the stock FPR. This way I don't have to modify the stock FPR when I need to go back to N/A.

Here is some information I gathered before boosting and before the upgraded Fuel Pump.

Stock Fuel Pump Pressure: 40psi (Max Vacuum) to 52psi (Atmosphere).
Vortech 255 lph Fuel Pump Pressure: TBD.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

We have a F.I. forum now. Moving there.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:24 PM
Former Moderator

Received 290 Likes on 269 Posts

I've re-read the Vortech instructions, I didn't see anything about drilling the FPR.

The AEM regulator will let you adjust the static fuel pressure, but I don't see the point with doing this on a stock Vortech kit. The FMU plumbed in the return line allready increases static pressure, and further increases fuel pressure in boost.

If you where using a AEM EMS, or an E-manage with larger injectors and no FMU, The AEM regulator would allow you to tune some with fuel pressure. The FMU equipped cars rely on the FMU to crank the pressure up to add fuel in boost.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:34 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Slows2k' date='Jan 30 2005, 07:24 PM
I've re-read the Vortech instructions, I didn't see anything about drilling the FPR.

The AEM regulator will let you adjust the static fuel pressure, but I don't see the point with doing this on a stock Vortech kit. The FMU plumbed in the return line allready increases static pressure, and further increases fuel pressure in boost.

If you where using a AEM EMS, or an E-manage with larger injectors and no FMU, The AEM regulator would allow you to tune some with fuel pressure. The FMU equipped cars rely on the FMU to crank the pressure up to add fuel in boost.
Agreed.

The '04-'05 Vortech instructions are different that the '00-'03. They are instructed to increase the size of an orifice with a drill bit.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:45 PM
Former Moderator

Anyone have the fueling changes they made to the 04 Vortech kits?

The 00-03 still runs a bit lean with a FMU for my tastes.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:10 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

They added an injector mounted on the powercooler. I am unable to determine what the specs are from looking at it. The electronics box appears larger with possibly more wires. Check the Vortech website, they should have the new instructions posted by now.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:11 PM

[quote name='Sideways' date='Jan 30 2005, 07:34 PM'] Agreed.

The '04-'05 Vortech instructions are different that the '00-'03.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:24 PM
Former Moderator

I just checked the Vortech site for 04 instructions, they aren't posted in the same place the 00-03.

If they added an Aux injector, they most likey use a Similar timing controller as the previous kits, just with an added injector harness. The 00-03 timing controller is a cusom unit built by Split Second, It wouldn't be difficult to add the second injector to it, Other SS controllers have them buit in.

Did Vortech change the casting of the Aftercooler, or machine a injector boss into the existing one?

Any body with a pic?

johninator, the AEM regulator adjusts the pressure higher or lower, which changes the entire fuel curve richer or leaner. If you are using the FMU, increasing the pressure will make the car run richer below boost, and in the transition into boost. Much over 90psi or so the stock injectors aren't really closing, they are being held open by the high pressure fuel. So I wouldn't expect any changes in the fuel curve at wide open thottle (WOT)
Old 01-30-2005, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k' date='Jan 30 2005, 09:24 PM
I just checked the Vortech site for 04 instructions, they aren't posted in the same place the 00-03.

If they added an Aux injector, they most likey use a Similar timing controller as the previous kits, just with an added injector harness. The 00-03 timing controller is a cusom unit built by Split Second, It wouldn't be difficult to add the second injector to it, Other SS controllers have them buit in.

Did Vortech change the casting of the Aftercooler, or machine a injector boss into the existing one?

Any body with a pic?

johninator, the AEM regulator adjusts the pressure higher or lower, which changes the entire fuel curve richer or leaner. If you are using the FMU, increasing the pressure will make the car run richer below boost, and in the transition into boost. Much over 90psi or so the stock injectors aren't really closing, they are being held open by the high pressure fuel. So I wouldn't expect any changes in the fuel curve at wide open thottle (WOT)
I have the 03 kit, but they gave me the 04-05 aftercooler with an injector boss welded to it. The Map Clamp & Split Second controller box on my 03 kit did not come with the injector controller. However, the 04-05 Split Second controller has the MAP clamp and the additional injector controller built in one box.

For the AEM FPR, if I adjust the Full S2k Vacuum to match the stock FPR of ~40psi will it proportionally rise to ~52psi at atmospheric pressure? I am still N/A for the moment.

The main reason I would like to get the AEM FPR is to not drill a hole on the factory FPR.

BTW, can we get the plates inside our Vortech FMU to adjust fuel pressure ratios? Or do we have to buy their adjustable FMU unit. I am planning to use an additional injector to reduce the high pressures the FMU is pushing to our injectors.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You should set the FPR with the vacuum line disconnected. That way the intake vacuum isn't pulling it down. The stock setting 47-54psi static (vacuum line crimped or disconnected).

I wouldn't want to modify the OEM FPR either so an AEM or SARD unit would be a good replacement, or buy another OEM off this board. I bet there are a few floating around. However if you're going to the trouble I would recommend you either replace the OEM FPR/Vortech FMU combo with a single rising rate regulator (like the Comptech unit or another with the same ratio as the Vortech FMU) or go the injectors/engine management route.

I'm currently running the Comptech SC, AEM EMS, 550cc injectors and an AEM FPR with 8lb pulley. It is a great and clean combination.

Quick Reply: AEM Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) w/ Supercharger