S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

AEM Serial Gauge instructions

Old 12-08-2006, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM Serial Gauge instructions

Does anyone have the instructions on how to operate the serial gauge? OR does anyone have a user name on the AEM forums? The site has been broken for a very long time and will not allow new people to sign up. Over a month ago AEM said they would have that problem fixed in less than a week
Old 12-09-2006, 05:16 AM

What exactly do you need help with? I posted a few good threads on the AEM forums on how to setup the gauge parameters. If you like, I can copy and paste that here. Or do you need very basic info on it?

Darryl
Old 12-09-2006, 05:23 AM

Screen shots of the PDF, couple of clicks to get them big.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:39 PM

I just got mine and have to install the oil pressure sending unit also. I registered 5 times waiting for an email and it took 2 days to finally get the code to log in. The gauge should come with a cd.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:45 AM

Smile

Insofar as programming the gauge (to display parameter values correctly AND in the form you would like it to be displayed), there is basically nothing that comes with the gauge................. the instructions just tells you to go visit the AEMPower.com site and visit the forums there......... Quite lame, IMHO. Been hacking, uploading to gauge, hacking some more, uploading to gauge, etc.......

Took about a week for confirmation of my user name, to their forums.......... haven't visited since............... I am having problems registering correct boost, but I have to find out what MAP sensor is being used. Dyno tuned to 18 PSI max and have never read >13 PSI using their included cal set for 3.5 bar MAP sensor......

Plan to spend some time with the laptop in the car, when configuring that gauge........................ a good deal of time..........
Old 12-11-2006, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by kleecker,Dec 11 2006, 04:45 AM
Insofar as programming the gauge (to display parameter values correctly AND in the form you would like it to be displayed), there is basically nothing that comes with the gauge................. the instructions just tells you to go visit the AEMPower.com site and visit the forums there......... Quite lame, IMHO. Been hacking, uploading to gauge, hacking some more, uploading to gauge, etc.......

Took about a week for confirmation of my user name, to their forums.......... haven't visited since............... I am having problems registering correct boost, but I have to find out what MAP sensor is being used. Dyno tuned to 18 PSI max and have never read >13 PSI using their included cal set for 3.5 bar MAP sensor......

Plan to spend some time with the laptop in the car, when configuring that gauge........................ a good deal of time..........
Did you get the cd with your gauge?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ultimate Racing,Dec 9 2006, 08:16 AM
What exactly do you need help with? I posted a few good threads on the AEM forums on how to setup the gauge parameters. If you like, I can copy and paste that here. Or do you need very basic info on it?

Darryl
yes that would be helpful if you could also paste the info here.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2006, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by gt30r,Dec 11 2006, 09:31 AM
Did you get the cd with your gauge?
absolutely - don't think I would have been able to communicate with it, without the software.

An example of what I was referring to w.r.t the gauge's user unfriendliness is signed vs. unsigned parameters, and how you have to treat each differently..... the simple "fill table" only applies for limited cases - you can create your own start and stop values and then "fill the table", but what you are filling it with are parameter values which most likely are not accurate/meaningful readings. Say you don't care if your coolant temp is below 100F. You could use a start value of 100F, stop value of 260F, and use the "fill table"........ But guess what? The values the gauge displays are not going to correlate (equal) what your coolant temp really is.

Personally, I'm fine using AEM's default low temp of 32F for coolant. Let's look at boost, since that is what most on this forum will want to use the gauge for. Say you don't care about negative manifold pressure, and want the gauge to read from 0 PSI to 30 PSI, with 30 PSI being the max value and 0 PSI the min value. With the ProGauge software you can certainly plug in "0" for min value and "30" for max value, and auto-fill the table, but the gauge is not going to display accurate readings.

Somewhere along the way (perhaps perusing the AEM forums), I thought that the AEM EMS outputs a voltage from 0 (min) to 5 (max) volts for this parameter (as for most other parameters). For starters you must know what 0 volts truly "means" (in terms of manifold pressure) as it applies to the AEM EMS reading of YOUR MAP sensor. Same for full scale 5 volts. If you know that, THEN you have a place to start. But that only gets you to the point where you can get the gauge to display accurate boost values.................... but chances are, 0 volts will correspond to something like -15 PSI. So, if you wish to customize the gauge to display only positive manifold pressure (say 0-30 psi), you've got some work on your hands. THAT's where I find the software a bit rough around the edges. Screw up that part of it, and the gauge will not display true manifold pressure............. and you won't even know it!

I believe I am still using the OEM MAP sensor, but am running around 18psi max boost. At least that's what I was told (and believe) by InlinePro (need to confirm). Luckily AEM gives you a starting place for boost display.......some look up tables for several different MAP sensors............. BUT, you need to know exactly what type of MAP sensor you're using. I assumed 3.5 bar, used their standard values for a 3.5 bar MAP sensor, and I get a reading of somewhere around 13 psi max, depending on outdoor temperature. Using their 3.5 bar sensor look up table, I see 13 psi correlates to and output voltage around 3.5 volts, which corresponding to row 179 out of 255 on the look-up table. OK, my bad on the MAP sensor used................. let's say it's OEM, not 3.5 bar. Appears that OEM is only "good for" 10.9 PSI @ full scale. If I bring it the table for the OEM MAP sensor, look at row #179 in the look-up table, I see a reading of 3.5 PSI............. ummmmm, me thinks I'm running more boost than that.

So right now I believe I am getting accurate values for coolant temperature (based primarily on the using of the default look-up coolant temperature chart, and that my coolant temperature during cruise hovers between 190-200F), but I'm baffled on what my true manifold pressure is at this time.................. and that is the one parameter, above all else, for which I expected the ProGauge to just be plug-n-play.