S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Aftercooler Problem

Old 05-13-2006, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftercooler Problem

The water in my aftercooler is not flowing. When I got my SC installed, the shop did not put any water inside and it took me 3 days to realize. Is it possible that the water pump ran without water and got F... up?? The water pump sounds like it is working but can it be down on power?? All the hoses are hooked up right
Old 05-13-2006, 04:25 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like the water pump may have gotten too hot and no longer seals properly. Or, you may simply have not bled it out or gotten all the air out and there's a big air lock in it.
If it's the first, they owe you a new water pump.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:06 AM
Former Moderator

Received 294 Likes on 273 Posts

Moving to FI
Old 05-13-2006, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,May 13 2006, 07:25 AM
Sounds like the water pump may have gotten too hot and no longer seals properly. Or, you may simply have not bled it out or gotten all the air out and there's a big air lock in it.
If it's the first, they owe you a new water pump.
should i get the one that comes in the vortech kit? or is there any other better alternatives??
Old 05-13-2006, 11:11 AM

This might be dumb question but how do you know that the water is not flowing? I would just take it back and tell them they need to order you a new pump!
Old 05-13-2006, 11:55 AM

i just open the cap on the aftercooler and look at the water. it stays still when the car is running. that's how i know. the pump sounds like it is working but i think it just doesn't have enough power.

BTW, how do I prime it if it has air inside?
Old 05-13-2006, 12:45 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by batikan,May 13 2006, 12:55 PM
i just open the cap on the aftercooler and look at the water. it stays still when the car is running. that's how i know. the pump sounds like it is working but i think it just doesn't have enough power.

BTW, how do I prime it if it has air inside?
This doesn't necessarily mean the water is not being circulated. The Vortech (and Comptech) water pump is a low flow type and if the tank is full like it's supposed to be, you won't really see any movement. The only way to find out if the coolant is moving is to nearly drain the tank so you can see some movement.
You will also know it's working if, after a bit of driving under boost, you go out quickly and feel the tank. It should feel cool. If the water is not flowing, it will feel warm to HOT.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:28 PM

I might have the same problem.

Main question is how do you get all the air out of the system if that is the problem?

After a recent trip to the dragon, I felt the aftercooler on several occasions and it did feel hot to the touch after 20 minutes of heavy driving. I also have a Spearco in the front.

Back to the main question: How do you get all the air out of the system??????

Deiger
Old 05-13-2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,May 13 2006, 03:45 PM
This doesn't necessarily mean the water is not being circulated. The Vortech (and Comptech) water pump is a low flow type and if the tank is full like it's supposed to be, you won't really see any movement. The only way to find out if the coolant is moving is to nearly drain the tank so you can see some movement.
You will also know it's working if, after a bit of driving under boost, you go out quickly and feel the tank. It should feel cool. If the water is not flowing, it will feel warm to HOT.
mine gets hot immediately. i am definitely sure that mine is not working or low on power. I have checked a friend of mine and the movement of the water is like as if it was boiling...
Old 05-14-2006, 07:10 AM
Former Moderator

Received 294 Likes on 273 Posts

For a Vortech's aftercooler pump to self beed the air out of the system the pump's outlet must be pointed slightly "up".

I'm not sure if the pump Comptech uses needs the same.

Quick Reply: Aftercooler Problem