S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Any tips on building my block.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tips on building my block.

I am about to start building my block,turbo kit came in so now im finally motivated. the help im looking for is actually mostly technical regarding the actual putting together of the block and also of any parts that i may be overlooking.I must ad that im going to be building the shortblock with a friend that has built many honda b-series motors for high boost with great success.Should we treat this shortblock build any differently? will we be ok if we follow the honda manuals for the build? Or do we follow any different formulas regarding torque specs and clearances for boost and such?Here is a quick rundown of the parts i have. Darton sleeved block(stock bore and o-ringed),JE pistons(stock bore 9:1 compression,thermal coated piston domes),Pauter rods,stock crankshaft,ACL race bearings,ARP headstuds,stock main studs(thinking of re-using the original studs, motor only had 16,500 miles when i spun a bearing do to oil starvation,is that a bad idea?should i use new stock main studs or ARP?),stock new headgasket kit,new stock oil pump,for the head i have full Supertech valvetrain(stock size valves)with the exhaust valves nitride coated i believe.(i think thats what its called ) Should i delete the factory oil squirters? why is that done?Is it for piston clearance issues or to provide more oil pressure through the oil passages in the block for high hp? Thats all i can think of. I know its alot of info that im asking. Anyones educated answers will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:53 AM

that's an extensive list, if you trust your buddy then just go by the clearances in the honda manual unless the part manufacturer's say otherwise.

I'd call around some reputable shops near you and see what they would charge just to know. if you put it together yourself and have problems that'll cost you more than what a shop would charge to build it.

I know that the Dart block has some pretty specific steps you have to follow when you assemble it for seating the sleeves, not something you want to get wrong

I personally wouldn't delete the oil squirters, they help keep the pistons cool, cooler metal = stronger metal.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the reply and the advice candymanjl. so many views and no responses.lol. i am still debating on having a shop build my shortblock,so much money invested in parts and to skimp on the building of the block doesnt make sense to me either. what do you mean seating the sleeves? isnt that done at the machine shop that sleeved it? am i missing something?
Old 03-16-2009, 05:27 PM

i dont think i want anyone to build my block but Laskey Racing,i just think the cost to send everything to him would be a hassle and expensive. confused!!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 05:29 PM

if you go on Dart's site there's instructions on the setup, I was looking into one for my CRX. after reading it over I decided it was more than I wanted to do, it's not as simple as just putting the parts in.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:40 PM

thanks alot for the advice
Old 03-17-2009, 06:40 AM

use arp head studs!, you said your block is oringed? i dont think you can use factory head gasket with oring block - need a copper head gasket.
keep oil squirters
if you had a oil issue that broke your motor before, take the oil pump apart- any scoring inside of it - replace it!
A turbo car's ring gaps are different from a NA car, besides that follow honda manual for assemble and torque specs and all will be good.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:28 AM

Thanks 2big4as2000, my headstuds are arp, im thinking of re-using my original main studs (motor only had 16,500 miles when i spun a bearing due to oil starvation). will i be ok with the original main studs? i was told that i can only use a factory headgasket and NOT copper with my Darton sleeves. Guess ill call Darton directly.As for the oil pump,i already purchased a new one,not risking it. The ring gap differences i know of,thanks. confused about the oil squirters though,i see many people delete them.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:24 PM

if you have oring sleeves you will have to use a copper headgasket - the main studs will be ok, use the oil squirters, the main reason they are removed is when building a stroked and larger bore they will hit the crank. I would not delete them, besides providing lubrication, the oil also removes heat, with the extra heat from a boosted motor i would want all the help i could get.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:29 PM

I know you have someone doing it for you but since i see you are located in NY i would have Jeff Evans from evans-tuning do it since he is close and if you get everything from him you will get a discount. He has great prices.

Inlinepro is also not too far from NYC where Jeremy Allen is the engine builder and is very well known in the honda community.

I build engines all the time at work but for something like you are doing Id prefer to have someone who does these same engines all day everyday do mine so I dont have to worry about it.

Quick Reply: Any tips on building my block.