S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Attention Precision turbo owners

Old 09-24-2015, 05:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Attention Precision turbo owners

Previously, from 2009 to 2015, I ran a old school BB Precision 6262 on my car with little to no problems. It has always had the oil return line routed to the girdle, and I ran a 0.35 restrictor. It still smoked randomly, most noticeably when taking off from a light or during sweeping left or right turns. I figured this was just a characteristic of Precision turbo's and learned to live with it. Again, the turbo ran great for 5+ years. Due to an unforeseen circumstance (installer error, no fault of the turbo itself), I ended up burning it up due to oil starvation and replacing it with a Gen 2 6266.

If you've ever looked at this turbo, one thing you know is it is EXPENSIVE so I wanted to make sure I did everything right. I got a tipper from a user in this forum a couple years back that the oil return flange I used on my old 6262 might be too small, so I took my old flange to a local shop to get the "right" sized flange. I was told "all the T3/T4 turbo's use the same flange, they're universal across brands". The shop deals mostly with Garrett and is a very trusted friend so I took his word for it. I installed the flange (which, by measurement, had a slightly bigger inlet than the flange I was using before) and during the first test drive almost immediately sprung a leak at the flange where it meets the bearing housing.

My first thought was I didn't tighten it (the two bolts holding that attach the flange to the turbo) down enough. My second thought was the paper gasket supplied with the new flange didn't line up right (it didn't but that wasn't the problem). So I took off the flange, tossed the paper gasket and went to town with red RTV to see if that would take care of it. Put it all back together...same result. My next thought was that since the flange's -10 outlet is a threaded insert, when I tightened the braided hose onto it it moved the insert into the bearing housing and didn't allow enough clearance for the oil to drain out the housing into the hose properly. When I pulled the flange off to inspect, the insert was flush with the mating surface so I ruled that out as the cause.

Now I had to make a choice of what to do next. Something told me to do a Google search for Precision oil return flanges, and I ended up seeing this: http://prlmotorsport...px#.U5TSOYm9LTo What jumped out to me outlet was actually square vs the circular outlet of the old flange as seen here:

I ordered a similar version from Ebay and put them side by side for a comparison when I was ready to install it:

As you can see, the inlet size of the new flange is way bigger than the old one. I've installed the new one and so far, zero leaks. I don't know what the hell Precision is doing selling flanges that don't work correctly with their turbo's. Take a look at their own website: http://www.precision...ets-and-more/31 All the flanges they sell have a circular inlet.

I'm also hoping the new flange solves the smoking problem stemming from this:

These pictures are from the first time I took the turbo off (maybe 10 miles on it) to replace the flange. As you can see, oil was beginning to leak and pool into the exhaust housing which is where the smoke comes from. The second time I took it out to put in the new flange I'm using now (post retune), there was a lot more oil puddled in the bottom of the housing. I'm pretty sure this is the reason these turbo's smoke the way they do.

So if you have a Precision turbo and have had some issues with it smoking, even after restricting the oil feed properly, make sure you're using the correct flange.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:43 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been using that prl motorsports flange for years works great.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Precision turbos...now there is an oxymoron. After my smoking Mase turbo kit and my friends two fried turbos with a few months I would not put their crap on my car ever again.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Knock on wood! my old school precision 6165 BB turbo has been doing fine so far. I've had it since last October (2014) and ive only driven it hard this summer. I'm hoping it'll last me a long time still. Smokes once in a while when i start the car. No smoke on acceleration or deceleration.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:23 PM

I placed an order for one of these flanges. Look way better than the standard circular flanges. My question is though , is that a standard o ring that you can find anywhere? wondering if its something easy to find when its time to replace it.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KCHRIS305
I placed an order for one of these flanges. Look way better than the standard circular flanges. My question is though , is that a standard o ring that you can find anywhere? wondering if its something easy to find when its time to replace it.
It's a round o-ring you can find it anywhere but just ask them for a extra when you order it, that's what I did.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have same exact turbo and run the -10 return. Tbh I don't have any issues as of now other than when I didn't tap my oil pan for return. I should check up on it to be sure lol
Old 09-25-2015, 02:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000442
Precision turbos...now there is an oxymoron. After my smoking Mase turbo kit and my friends two fried turbos with a few months I would not put their crap on my car ever again.
Do you feel better now?
Old 09-25-2015, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by spectacle
Do you feel better now?

I do actually thanks for asking

The info you provide is always good and I'm sure will help owners of these turbos. Sorry for the venting in your thread.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For anyone not wanting to order from PLM and pay ~$10 more, here is the eBay link for the item eBay Drain Flange

Quick Reply: Attention Precision turbo owners