S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

BOV/bypass valve position

Old 07-09-2017, 08:13 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Default BOV/bypass valve position

Hi All,

I currently have my BOV/Bypass valve located after the intercooler on my supercharged S2000. At the moment any compressed air from the charger goes through the intercooler and then when the bypass valve is open it vents it back to atmosphere. Effectively im cooling air that im not going to use. When cruising you could be venting alot of air through the bypass valve.

Would it not be better to have the bypass valve before the intercooler so that hot air produced by the supercharger thats not needed gets vented without adding any additional heat to the intercooler? Seems silly to heat the intercooler up when you arent going to use the air.

Can anyone tell me a good reason why you wouldn't put it before the intercooler?

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2017, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markforrester99
Hi All,

I currently have my BOV/Bypass valve located after the intercooler on my supercharged S2000. At the moment any compressed air from the charger goes through the intercooler and then when the bypass valve is open it vents it back to atmosphere. Effectively im cooling air that im not going to use. When cruising you could be venting alot of air through the bypass valve.

Would it not be better to have the bypass valve before the intercooler so that hot air produced by the supercharger thats not needed gets vented without adding any additional heat to the intercooler? Seems silly to heat the intercooler up when you arent going to use the air.

Can anyone tell me a good reason why you wouldn't put it before the intercooler?

Thanks!
You basically answered your own question, although some people think the bov lasts longer on the cold side the then the hot side. I would always put the bov on the hotside.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:46 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I always thought you should have the BOV as close to the throttle as possible to prevent pressure pulses on the butterfly valve.