S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Burning oil on start up

Old 04-29-2016, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning oil on start up

So here's the situation: I just had the engine rebuilt with a sleeved block, rods and lower compression pistons, a refreshed head etc. etc.

The turbo setup was a revhard log manifold, older journal bearing t3/t4 turbo with 630 injectors and running FCON. Initially, the setup made 371whp and 250ft/lbs on a dyno dynamics dyno at 16 psi of boost. It ran for an entire summer with no smoke on start up. Last year, the car started blowing smoke on start up and I took it to the shop. They pulled the turbo and said it was a blown turbo so I had that replaced.

Fast forward to this month. The turbo was replaced with a modern borg warner unit along with the downpipes and charge pipe being changed and a new motor mount with a hasport one because the turbo was hitting the stock motor mount. They dyno'd the car again and it made about the same amount of power but at around 14 psi of boost. In any case, I was supposed to pick up the car but yesterday, my tuner said that the car was again blowing smoke on start up. They looked at the new mount and found that the insert had melted because the turbo was sitting so close to it and the engine had sunk about 2 inches. My tuner is saying that this might have caused the oil drain to start backing up and causing the turbo to smoke but I've had this setup for years and I've never had issues with it smoking.

On this log manifold, the turbo does sit fairly low but there is enough of a bend for the oil to drain into the bung that was welded on the oil pan.

Now, they are making a metal insert to put into the motor mount to see if that will stop the smoke but what else could this be? Could the turbo sink low enough because of a motor mount that it would start causing oil to back up into the turbo?
Old 04-29-2016, 08:31 AM

I had the exact same problem with my turbo. The turbo sat so close to the engine mount that it was pinching the oil return line. I ran it like that for a while until recently it was smoking after driving for a while and sometimes on start up. I installed some Innovative mounts which gave me lots of room to play with and redid my oil return line. No smoking ever since.

I was also considering Hasport mounts but by the pics I've seen it looks like the Innovative mounts will give you more room to run your return line so that's why I went with those.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Super Nintendo Chalmers
I had the exact same problem with my turbo. The turbo sat so close to the engine mount that it was pinching the oil return line. I ran it like that for a while until recently it was smoking after driving for a while and sometimes on start up. I installed some Innovative mounts which gave me lots of room to play with and redid my oil return line. No smoking ever since.

I was also considering Hasport mounts but by the pics I've seen it looks like the Innovative mounts will give you more room to run your return line so that's why I went with those.

It's funny though because I didn't have this issue with the stock motor mount but that eventually took a $hit because of the heat from the turbo. Could that inch or so from the material melting on the mount, cause the oil line to back up though, causing it to smoke? Seems like such a small thing.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:46 AM

I don't think so seeing as how if the mount craps out the engine and turbo would sink at the same time. Maybe that inch or so changes the angle of the oil return which will cause your back up, this car does some weird things. I thought my issue was worse than just a kinked oil return line but fortunately my fix solved my problem.