S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

For those with a turbo and stock motor

Old 02-16-2006, 06:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default For those with a turbo and stock motor

What boost are you running on the stock motor? I would like to get boosted, but what reliability as well. I am not looking for major hp, maybe in the low 300 range.

What are your feeling about custom turbo kits for our cars? I can't afford the kits on this site such as Love Fab and others. Everything seems to be over $6K when I can have one custom made AND installed for $5K here.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran 8psi for nearly 20,000 miles before building a new setup and cranking up the boost to 16psi, 470whp.
Just be sure you have someone who knows what they are doing tune your engine otherwise youll have a built motor soon to replace what was smoted.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, if you are setting a very small budget then a turbo might not be for you. There are tunning costs, gauges, and etc.

Having a custom setup made also may not give as much power as some of the kits. It also may not include the high quality and reliable pieces.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by kane.s2k,Feb 16 2006, 08:55 AM
Honestly, if you are setting a very small budget then a turbo might not be for you. There are tunning costs, gauges, and etc.

Having a custom setup made also may not give as much power as some of the kits. It also may not include the high quality and reliable pieces.
What high quality and reliable pieces are you talking about?
Old 02-16-2006, 02:48 PM

for that price range and reliablilty i would say go for a supercharger, especially with the numvers you want, everything u said pretty much fits the super charger description exactly, 300 hp, 5000$, reilable, not saying turbos arent reliable but just involve more work
Old 02-16-2006, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by gt30r,Feb 16 2006, 02:47 PM
What high quality and reliable pieces are you talking about?
heh, you sound a little defensive but it's not geared to you or anything in any shape or form. I've seen some people get a custom setup made because it's cheaper and what not and actually end up making less power or having severe boost creep issues or even manifolds cracking due to really really cruddy welding techniques (or lack of really).

Save a little here or there but a lot of times you do get what you pay for. A lot of people might agree with lovefab kit's being a bit expensive but seeing a couple custom kits and seeing a bunch of cody's other works, there has been a pretty clear and notable difference. Of course that's not to say you can't get a manifold made of equal quality and quality components (or even better) and pay less and even have it make the same/more power with identical everything else.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:04 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

5.5 to 9.5 psi for a few thousand miles so far.
gomarlins3, PM me if you want to know about putting togther a kit like what I did.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by kane.s2k,Feb 16 2006, 05:33 PM
heh, you sound a little defensive but it's not geared to you or anything in any shape or form. I've seen some people get a custom setup made because it's cheaper and what not and actually end up making less power or having severe boost creep issues or even manifolds cracking due to really really cruddy welding techniques (or lack of really).

Save a little here or there but a lot of times you do get what you pay for. A lot of people might agree with lovefab kit's being a bit expensive but seeing a couple custom kits and seeing a bunch of cody's other works, there has been a pretty clear and notable difference. Of course that's not to say you can't get a manifold made of equal quality and quality components (or even better) and pay less and even have it make the same/more power with identical everything else.
Seems like your a little sensitive, i simply ask what high quality and reliable pieces would not be included in a custom job vs. a kit???
Old 02-16-2006, 10:44 PM

Going custom is the best route, but YOU need to know enough to do it yourself. You need to be able to spot bad manifold designs, crappy welding, know which parts are good and bad. When I went with Lovefab, I did it because I caouldn't find anyone local that I thought had half a brain in manifold design.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:26 PM
Banned

Custom will always have better fit and finish if done by a competent fabricator. Off the shelf mass produced products are just banged out one after another most likely by some kid that slams the pieces in a jig and welds them up. Sure there are plenty of people out there doing fab work that have no business building stuff but that goes for kits also. There are plenty of bad kits on the market! Just because someone is mass producing something doesn't make it a certified super duper system. Lots of these kits are a long ways from bolt on. You have to move this and that, chop up your car or even remove the AC, all of which I consider to be BS. Every turbo system I've ever build (crap loads) I've been able to design an efficient system that requires very little to no modifications to the car in whole.

Brett

Quick Reply: For those with a turbo and stock motor