S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Catch Can Advice

Old 09-10-2018, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catch Can Advice

Hi - would the below setup work? Obviously that is not the location I will place it and the 'in' side will be the baffled side.

Also - what's the deal with that open port on my valve cover? I know on a stock car it would go to the air intake... should I cap it?

Old 09-11-2018, 02:21 PM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

So there are multiple ways to run the lines on a catch can setup. The way you have your diagram set up, you'll be running a closed loop setup. In a closed loop, the crankcase port towards the front of the vc should also go to a catch can then routed back into the intake pipe.

But to make your life easier, run an open loop setup with a vented catch can and run both those lines to the can and cap the port on the intake manifold and intake (remember to remove the pcv valve). I found that this is only a bare minimum in venting the engine. Even with it vented, it will create enough pressure inside the engine to pop the dip stick up (in theory this could lead to ring damage etc etc). So to properly do it you would have to go all out and drill two more -10an lines on the vc somewhere and run to a vented catch can as well.

Hope this information helps.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:04 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...ch-tank-89869/
Old 09-18-2018, 11:15 PM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Mijae007
So there are multiple ways to run the lines on a catch can setup. The way you have your diagram set up, you'll be running a closed loop setup. In a closed loop, the crankcase port towards the front of the vc should also go to a catch can then routed back into the intake pipe.

But to make your life easier, run an open loop setup with a vented catch can and run both those lines to the can and cap the port on the intake manifold and intake (remember to remove the pcv valve). I found that this is only a bare minimum in venting the engine. Even with it vented, it will create enough pressure inside the engine to pop the dip stick up (in theory this could lead to ring damage etc etc). So to properly do it you would have to go all out and drill two more -10an lines on the vc somewhere and run to a vented catch can as well.

Hope this information helps.
How about running a breather filter on the valve cover vent and then running the PCV into the catch can and catch can into PCV's intake port of the IM?
Old 09-19-2018, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So basically a beather on my can is mandatory? I noticed my cars dip stick pops up sometimes. There must be high pressure in there. And my beather valve is wide open it seems... (is that the one I circled with a question mark?)

Old 09-19-2018, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by minubaba
So basically a beather on my can is mandatory? I noticed my cars dip stick pops up sometimes. There must be high pressure in there. And my beather valve is wide open it seems... (is that the one I circled with a question mark?)
Not necessarily. If your venting both the PCV and the valve cover vent (which is now open) to one can then yes you should have a breather filter on the can as it would then vent to atmosphere and be "open loop". What I recommend you do now is run the PCV into the intake port of that can and then run a hose from the outlet port of the can to the intake port where the PCV connected to on your IM (intake manifold). Finally you should run a breather filter on the valve cover vent as it will prevent debris from getting into the valve cover and prevent any oil that may come out of the vent from getting all over your throttle body or other parts...

The alternative to this is to run the valve cover vent itself to the can then can back into the intake port of whatever setup your running now. Experiment with these two scenarios to see which one prevents the dip stick from popping out. That is a result of too much pressure within the crankcase not having anywhere to go. this is bad for the engine's seals.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have one of these on my AP1 with CTSC and it works well: S2000 Dual OCC

Basically idiot proof and fits well.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There's many different ways and opinions on this subject. Personally, I prefer to maintain an OEM closed system. I have a dual catch can (Radium setup). My PCV still goes to the intake manifold and the breather still goes to my intake. the difference is there is an oil catch can on each line. I have been at 500WHP on Pump 93 for going on 4 years and 20kmi now, I have not had to empty either catch can (each has 1/2" in them) and I have never had enough crankcase pressure to blow out my dipstick. If you have an open system and are still producing enough pressure to blow out your dipstick, you have a serious internal issue you need to look at, or you have a pressurized line going to your crank case somewhere.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude I have the same setup! Working great so far. Only costed me like $35 total with bracket and hoses.

​​​​​​
Old 09-19-2018, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by jdmz
Dude I have the same setup! Working great so far. Only costed me like $35 total with bracket and hoses.

​​​​​​
Looks clean dude! What kind of power are you making?

That catch can setup of yours vents both the PCV and VC vent to atmos eh?

Quick Reply: Catch Can Advice