S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Catch can question

Old 02-14-2013, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Catch can question

So, Ive been looking and looking and trying to do all the research I can to make sure my install goes as smooth as possible. Im hung up on the catch can though and thats the last thing Im working on besides picking up some new exhaust manifold nuts. I haven't cheaped out on anything thus far so I need to get this squared away pretty quick. I'd like to avoid spending $250-300 on one, but Im open to suggestions if you want to recommend one. Some posts say its not required, some say its a must and there is almost always 2-3 people saying to install it their way. My kit should be here next week and hopefully I will have recovered enough from my surprise pneumonia gift soon enough to get the ball rolling either next weekend or the following weekend.

Can someone please point me in the right direction here? Is it really a must? How would I run the lines using the stock valve cover with no AN fittings welded on?

If you could point me to a thread or even just post a picture of how yours is setup the "right" way, I would greatly appreciate it
Old 02-15-2013, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are going to want to replace your factory pcv valve with this piece (its currently on sale) http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-a1410m/overview/

This only works with the AP2 valve cover obviously. You can then run a -10an line from that port on the valve cover along with a -10an line from the front breather port to a vented catch can. I use the blueridge motorsports oil catch can & water overflow combo. This catchcan can be found here and is on sale for 249.99 shipped http://www.buyimportperformance.com/...-s2000-can.htm

The whole set up including lines and fittings cost around $320.

Attached Thumbnails Catch can question-s2k-catch-can.jpg  
Old 02-15-2013, 03:09 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No real wrong/right way to do it, kinda sorta, only thing that matters, is that those gasses have somewhere to vent, and aren't restricted.

Some people swear that you need some sort of draw on the can (usually vacuum from the compressor side) others just let it vent.

Some swear you need a can, others just run lines straight to the ground and give it all back to the earth.

It all really depends on where you have the room to fit the can honestly. A cans a cans a can, doesn't really make a difference.

I have an extra ap1 valve cover with 2 -10AN Fittings welded on it, powdercoated wrinkle black that I need to get rid of. Lmk if you have any interest in it.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:18 AM

What about if you vent 1 port to a catch can and block the other off?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:36 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

^ Eh, I'm sure it would be fine, but the easier the gas can escape, the better.

Hold your hand over it @ idle, there's a good amt of flow even at idle. Imagine that under pressure @ 9k
Old 02-15-2013, 05:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been talking to these guys... love the enthusiasm!

Communication is email, and can be slow, but BOOM!
Saikou michi co.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:42 AM

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

I have their dual can setup with my vortech.

from the SC inlet elbow

I have a thread somewhere detailing everything.

Saiko is very help and will customize it however you want and it's made here in the US.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not a fan of the return style catch can/vent systems. While the added vacuum likely helps evacuate pressure (does anyone have tangible numbers?), I wouldn't want the oil vapors/etc running through my compressor wheel. Just my opinion, of course.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:35 AM

Is it better to have vented catch can with filter on it or no?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jordannn93
Is it better to have vented catch can with filter on it or no?
What would the alternative be? Closed system? Vented will be more efficient. The PCV/breather system is for emissions purposes (closed system).

Quick Reply: Catch can question