S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Clutch + S/C Daily

Old 01-03-2018, 09:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch + S/C Daily

New the S2Ki and I've had my ap1 for about a month now. I love my ap1 and I'm excited getting together the build list. But I have big plans to S/C in the future.

My current issue is that I have a slight clutch slip on the OEM clutch @115k miles. So my main concern is acquiring a clutch a I can daily while being N/A, for the time being, until I S/C. I've had an ACT clutch in my previous car (Prelude typeSH) and it felt smooth as butter with short engagement. Whereas the OEM s2k clutch is astonomically long IMHO.

I've read good reviews on both ACT HD and SOS clutch systems for our cars. Although I would like for the S/C to compliment the clutch engagement, if that makes sense. I plan to S/C with a CARB legal kit(treehuggin California) which only boils it down to CT, Kraftwerks, Greddy(if I can find one, I think they're discontinuted).

Any other clutch systems with a medium to short throw, OEM engagement (not too grabby), and can obviously handle the 400 hp or more. I know I sound picky but I want to do it right the first time and not blow another clutch doing totally legal things
Old 01-03-2018, 09:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Most any uprated pressure plate will feel like it has a narrower engagement window.

I would avoid any off the shelf aftermarket clutch as they don't have enclosed springs like the stock honda sprung hub does. Make sure to use all OEM bearings as aftermarkets are prone to failure. The OEM disc with ACT HD pressure plate holds about 300ft/lb or so, much past that, and you'll find it slipping. I would avoid any pucked clutch if it's a daily. Pucked clutches tend to have harsh engagement.

I got together with Clutchmasters to produce a fully caged (not just partially like OEM) clutch disc. The Clutchmasters has nearly the same clamp force as the ACT but has a pedal feel that is very similar to OEM. The engagement window will also be more similar to OEM. It will hold a bit more than the ACT/OEM combo, comes with OEM bearings, and is substantially cheaper. If you need more torque capacity we can build these as segmented discs as well.

We can get you a good deal on the Kraftwerks kit as well

Avoid these if you don't like harsh engagement:

Avoid aftermarket Exedy or other off the shelf clutches if you don't want to pop springs out:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/sponsor-...n-oem-1176808/
Old 01-03-2018, 09:41 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Clutchmasters fx300 imo is the best option for a streetable/ oem like clutch
Old 01-03-2018, 09:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE
If you need the additional torque capacity, the segmented is the way to go to preserve street manners and drivability, just make sure you get the organic fiber tuff material as it holds up to heat better than the kevlar.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE
Will it hold up to the a S/C and maybe a turbo later down the road? Not going past 500 hp
Old 01-04-2018, 07:32 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by landapanda
Will it hold up to the a S/C and maybe a turbo later down the road? Not going past 500 hp
I'm currently using this clutch. It handles 400-420whp and 266-280wtq Sc'd without issue. 500hp shouldn't be an issue at all
Old 01-04-2018, 08:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by landapanda
Clutches are rated by torque and not by hp.

A ACT/OEM combo holds just over 300 ftlb, the FX100 holds a little more. A basic Kraftwerks kit makes around 400whp and 260lb/ft of torque. Turbos and supercharger have very different torque curves and figures.

FX300 should be plenty though. Just make sure you give me a call so that we can have it built with a fully caged spring.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:53 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ACT HD PP + Honda OEM Disc + Honda OEM bearings, feels great, should hold up to any SC and does not have clutch chatter like aftermarket discs do.

ACT/OEM is much better than the SOS setup. I've driven a couple of s2000's with SOS clutch setups and they feel like poop (too soft and crappy engagement) -- one of the owners actually replaced his SOS for an ACT/OEM after trying mine
Old 01-04-2018, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please check on Carb status of Kraftwerks S/c; their website does not list carb compliance.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by afzan
ACT HD PP + Honda OEM Disc + Honda OEM bearings, feels great, should hold up to any SC and does not have clutch chatter like aftermarket discs do.

ACT/OEM is much better than the SOS setup. I've driven a couple of s2000's with SOS clutch setups and they feel like poop (too soft and crappy engagement) -- one of the owners actually replaced his SOS for an ACT/OEM after trying mine

vortech v2 s/c with ACT HD PP + OEM clutch disc + OEM bearing is holding up quite nicely.

Quick Reply: Clutch + S/C Daily