S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Cold starts in the morning issue...

Old 02-07-2005, 12:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cold starts in the morning issue...

Before posting, I did a search but couldn't find a solid answer. Here's what happens. When starting the car I crank longer than usual (clutch in & holding start) takes about a full 1-2 seconds to crank and start engine. Also it seems like the car takes a little longer to warm up to 3 bars (start car wait 30 secs and drive shifting at low rpms) I talked to Honda they think it might be a fuel management issue but can't confirm this without full inspection. I read somewhere while searching that the ECU learns as the weather changes? Anyone else experiencing this? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Amer' date='Feb 7 2005, 02:35 PM
I read somewhere while searching that the ECU learns as the weather changes? Anyone else experiencing this? Thanks in advance.
This is pretty well known and is quite common. 1 to 2 seconds to crank and fire? Nothing wrong with this.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by xviper' date='Feb 7 2005, 01:51 PM
This is pretty well known and is quite common. 1 to 2 seconds to crank and fire? Nothing wrong with this.
Thanks for answering my post xviper. It was a concern to me because just a week before the car didn't seem to crank this long.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:08 PM

All kinds of environmental parameters will change the way an S2000 starts and runs - ambient air temp, barametric pressure, relative humidity, smog content, etc.

Many owners will also report that when there is a significant transition from fall to winter, their cars will start up, run for a couple of seconds and die. Upon the second start, all is normal. In time, without driver input, the ECU will learn over 4 to 5 five such episodes and then be perfectly fine. Only if it never learns, do you have a problem.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by xviper' date='Feb 7 2005, 02:08 PM
All kinds of environmental parameters will change the way an S2000 starts and runs - ambient air temp, barametric pressure, relative humidity, smog content, etc.

Many owners will also report that when there is a significant transition from fall to winter, their cars will start up, run for a couple of seconds and die. Upon the second start, all is normal. In time, without driver input, the ECU will learn over 4 to 5 five such episodes and then be perfectly fine. Only if it never learns, do you have a problem.
That cleared things up. Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mines the same way, starting and warming up. I had a fuel issue before I believe. Xviper correct me if Im wrong becasue Im guessing my situation.

Youll know if you have a fuel issue when you start to drive the car when its cold and when it revs up to about 3 or 4000, it hesitates a bit. Kind of like your still hitting the gas, but the engine dosent wat to go. I thought it was normal until I got it dynoed and turned up the FPR. Now that hesitaion is gone.

My guess was that the ecu was doing something becasue it was not getting enough fuel when cold.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by revhi' date='Feb 7 2005, 11:25 PM
Youll know if you have a fuel issue when you start to drive the car when its cold and when it revs up to about 3 or 4000, it hesitates a bit. Kind of like your still hitting the gas, but the engine dosent wat to go. I thought it was normal until I got it dynoed and turned up the FPR. Now that hesitaion is gone.
This may be particular to a supercharged car where there is a MAP clamp in use. I get this little "hiccup" also right around 3000 - 4000 rpm, depending upon the throttle position and manifold coolant temp. It only happens once and it's only after the first start of the day when the engine is stone cold. If you think back to the days before you had a S/C, you should recall that this characteristic was not present. I believe that at a certain rpm and other conditions as mentioned, this is when the supercharger is just beginning to contribute enough boost to compensate for the parasitic drag of the blower. It is at this rpm that manifold pressure is enough (even though it may still register a vacuum) that the MAP clamp is just about to take over to hide that boost (or lack of normal vacuum) from the ECU. For some reason, just after the first cold start of the day, due to all the contributing factors, the MAP clamp is just a little rough in making the transition. If I try and run with heavier throttle past this initial warm up phase, I can fool it into NOT doing this hesitation. Once it's done it, it won't do it again for the rest of the day.
I'm glad that tuning and turning up the fuel pressure can eliminate this hesitation for you. I'm not all that concerned about it as it is so minor a thing. I'm sure if you were to get rid of the MAP clamp by using a stand alone aftermarket ECU, this hesitation can be gotten rid of, too.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Xviper, thats a much better explaination than I had. You are right, it only does it once after the cold start. The FPR tuning did completely eliminate it though.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car takes 1-2 sec. longer to start also.

RAT
Old 02-08-2005, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I am suprised that it takes longer for your car to warm up, it seems to make my car warm up faster? Anyone elses car take longer to warm up?

Quick Reply: Cold starts in the morning issue...