S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Competition Twin Disc Clutch

Old 01-13-2012, 04:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Competition Twin Disc Clutch

I am looking at clutch’s again and now I am leaning towards a twin disc. I could not stand the Iron Man and Ceramic both of which were terrible for what I want to use the car for. I have been using the ACT HD PP and OEM clutch disc which has yielded excellent performance up to about 360FTLB's to the wheels.

I hear great things about the Carbonetic but decided the change from push pull was a bit more than I would like to do. Then looked at the SOS and that would be a great choice but the price is a bit steep. Next is the Exedy which I know little about but can't ever remember hearing anthing good. Finally the Competition twin disc, this unit I am interested in now but I am having trouble finding any feedback on it.

1.) How is the engagement of the clutch vs Stock?
2.) How loud is it?
3.) Have you had any issues with the clutch?
4.) Did the clutch come with the required lines and internal slave cylinder?
Old 01-13-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Awesome clutch IMO. Engagement is butter like stock, only chatters a bit when clutch is engaged, etc, isnt too terribly loud, but isnt as quiet as stock by far, no trouble holding at upwards of 500 wtq, comes with everything needed for the conversion and is fairly simple to install; also comes with pictures. It's a great clutch with a great price tag. Call LJ at FB and he will get you a great deal.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no complaints about my comp twin disc. Very easy to drive. A little louder than stock but that is to be expected. Engagement is very smooth. I have no problems driving on the street at anytime, i could daily drive with this clutch if i wanted to.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:32 AM

Thanks for all the info!!!

The more I thought about it the more that I came to the conclusion that the single disc was the way to go for me. Though the car can make more power than the clutch can hold it also acts as a buffer for the trans and rear end. In my past builds I found that the clutch slipped rather than delivering a major torque spike, bad for racing but great for someone that primarily drives on the street. I am not sure if I have heard of too many people with ordinary street clutches (Non Puck) that have broken their trans or rear end at the frequency of others with stouter clutches. Obviously this could be attributed the power, driver.... but in my mind the theory is sound.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel your plight. If I crank up the power my clutch will become suspect.

I read that someone on here used a twin disk that was rather cheap to buy. I'll try to find the thread.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MisMyS

The more I thought about it the more that I came to the conclusion that the single disc was the way to go for me. Though the car can make more power than the clutch can hold it also acts as a buffer for the trans and rear end. In my past builds I found that the clutch slipped rather than delivering a major torque spike, bad for racing but great for someone that primarily drives on the street. I am not sure if I have heard of too many people with ordinary street clutches (Non Puck) that have broken their trans or rear end at the frequency of others with stouter clutches. Obviously this could be attributed the power, driver.... but in my mind the theory is sound.
I would stick with the ACT Scott but get the lighter weight flywheel. Maybe even go with an 8lb flywheel if you want to push the power to the 600whp mark. Nothing is going to be as smooth and quiet as the ACT. The wifey will not be happy with a noisy, hard to drive clutch
Old 01-14-2012, 01:26 PM

i just drove my comp twin for the first time a few days ago and what a difference from my comp 6 puck, so much easier to drive and really not that noisy at all, minimal chatter too, really liking this clutch
Old 01-14-2012, 06:55 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MisMyS

So you know, a twin or triple disc clutch is much easier on the trans than a single disc. Reason being is that a twin or triple allows you to shift much smoother and is easier on the gears with less shock when engagement happens at high rpm quick shifts.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Spoolin
So you know, a twin or triple disc clutch is much easier on the trans than a single disc. Reason being is that a twin or triple allows you to shift much smoother and is easier on the gears with less shock when engagement happens at high rpm quick shifts.
That I did not know, I assumed that if a clutch had a higher torque holding capibility it would allow less slipage thus more shock. I am not expert on clutchs by any means, I always assumed that a dual or triple would allow just a small amount off slipage, more than say a puck style, for superior drivablity. This being accomplished by using VERY high static friction material but b/c there is so much surface it could be slipped which for 1st is important unless you are racing only. That being said if you were to shift quickly or drop the clutch I was under the impression the clutch would not slip hardly at all, thus minimizing any delay in power delivery. I am not sure about many of the clutchs that are availible in the S2000 but I also thought that there are no dampeners/springs in the clutch discs. Though this is not necassary it is a nice feature to quiet down the transmission.

The one thing that may be of help is the reduced rotating mass/inertia, I can see that helping shock when rowing through the gears.

I guess I need to do some more home work on this one.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:07 PM

What about the comp super single setup, all the perks of a twin just with one disk?????

Quick Reply: Competition Twin Disc Clutch