S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Compressor Surge Issues

Old 04-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Apr 22 2008, 12:50 AM
How does the actuator get a boost signal to open the wastegate? Is it internally controlled? I ask this because in your first picture there is no source going to the actuator. I just want to understand it before I start throwing stuff out on the table.
Its an internal wastegate.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought you are only suppose to get the boost signal to the wastegate directly from the turbo? I had that problem in my old car. I taped it into the turbo to go to the wastegate then problem solve.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:42 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by cash84,Apr 22 2008, 08:37 AM
I thought you are only suppose to get the boost signal to the wastegate directly from the turbo? I had that problem in my old car. I taped it into the turbo to go to the wastegate then problem solve.
I don't have what you think of when you think of a wastegate. My turbo has an internal wastegate, and the boost nipple is on the actuator, which is the main source for boost only.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:09 AM
Former Moderator

After re-reading Jon's (SpecOps) post, i realized I left the intake out....I updated the diagrams above.

Also, I'm not sure what this means, this might make a little more sense to someone in the know....according to AEM....

"When Energized, ports 1 & 2 are connected. When de-energized, ports 2 & 3 are connected."

The boost controller is set to OFF, which means that ports 2 and 3 are connected (I'm not sure what connected means). Port 2 is the actuator hose, and port 3 is the vacuum line hose. Port 1 has the muffler thing on it.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:43 AM

[QUOTE=NFRs2000NYC,Apr 22 2008, 07:09 AM] Also, I'm not sure what this means, this might make a little more sense to someone in the know....according to AEM....

"When Energized, ports 1 & 2 are connected.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:10 AM

The problem is that you have the vacuum block connected to Port 3 on the solenoid. The solenoid should not be connected to a boost/vacuum source, it should only be connected to boost-only from the compressor housing, or an intercooler pipe.

What is happening is that the BOV is getting boost/vac on all 3 ports. So, when vacuum kicks in it isn't opening the BOV at all because you have the same pressure on both sides of the piston.

You must have had a boost-only line from somewhere originally. I'm assuming that is the line that you are calling intake. The vac line to your solenoid is the culprit.

Here's what you need to do step-by-step:

1) Disconnect/eliminate the line from the vacuum block to the solenoid
2) Run a line from your "intake" (boost-only source) to Port 3 of the solenoid
3) Run a line (uninterrupted) from Port 1 of the solenoid to your internal wastegate actuator
4) Tee the line in #2 above and connect that line to Port C of your BOV
Old 04-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by synapse,Apr 22 2008, 12:10 PM
The problem is that you have the vacuum block connected to Port 3 on the solenoid. The solenoid should not be connected to a boost/vacuum source, it should only be connected to boost-only from the compressor housing, or an intercooler pipe.

What is happening is that the BOV is getting boost/vac on all 3 ports. So, when vacuum kicks in it isn't opening the BOV at all because you have the same pressure on both sides of the piston.

You must have had a boost-only line from somewhere originally. I'm assuming that is the line that you are calling intake. The vac line to your solenoid is the culprit.

Here's what you need to do step-by-step:

1) Disconnect/eliminate the line from the vacuum block to the solenoid
2) Run a line from your "intake" (boost-only source) to Port 3 of the solenoid
3) Run a line (uninterrupted) from Port 1 of the solenoid to your internal wastegate actuator
4) Tee the line in #2 above and connect that line to Port C of your BOV
Ok...I think I understand, but just to clarify a few things.

1)I made a mistake in my drawing. The "intake" line is actually an intercooler pipe...I looked at it too quickly, and it looked like the nipple was on the intake pipe (the pipe with the air filter on it) but it's not...its the intercooler pipe.

So, to rehash your steps...

1)Disconnect port 3 from the vacuum block, and connect it to that intercooler line, with port C of the BOV T'd into it.

2)Connect port 2 directly to the actuator.

When you said port 1, I assume you meant port 2, as according to AEM, port 1 remains unused in internal wastegate applications.

I appreciate your help greately. I will re-route tomorrow, and hopefully report back with the issue fixed. Great products, and great service!

Thanks again!
Old 04-22-2008, 11:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is how my Snapse BOV and tru boost controller are installed. I see -22 psi when my foot is not on the throttle. I haven't hooked up the 3rd line to a boost only source. Should I tee the line to the actuator or the line coming from the intercooler/intake pipe?

EDIT: NM I reread Synapse's post. I'll tee the line from the intake/intercooler pipe and hook that up to the 3rd nipple on the BOV.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:53 PM

I think this is what he means since IWG's don't use port 1.

basically the solenoid runs "in series" with your "intake" to the WG.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:26 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SOHCmyDOHC,Apr 22 2008, 07:53 PM
I think this is what he means since IWG's don't use port 1.

basically the solenoid runs "in series" with your "intake" to the WG.

EDIT, yeah synapse is correct underneath me. You need to run a seperate line to the BOV from a boost only source (aka intake).

Quick Reply: Compressor Surge Issues