S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Comptech S doesnt want to boost :(

Old 05-05-2005, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Comptech S doesnt want to boost :(

before I start. I have a MY 01' S2000. Here we go:

So i've been driving my S for a couple of weeks now. Getting to know it, trying to find any bugs. The S was supercharged at Comptech in california. (it was shipped there, installed, and shipped back). So its a clean install.

Everything has been fine, until here recently. I noticed while driving, if I push the gas down a certain amount at low rpm (3-4k), the engine bogs really bad. Even at the top end. If I drop it into 3rd and punch it, the car accelerates, then bogs and slowly starts to pick up.

Also, if I take off from a light normal driving, shift into second and give it some gas....BOG. I read about the map sensor needing a whack, or replacement with the TSB that came out, but I was wondering if it could be something different. The TSB states that there is hesitation up top, but mine does it all over the place, depending on throttle position and rpm.

On a different part of the car I noticed this.
When i'm at a standstill like at a light, sometimes when I put it into first gear the car jerks forward slightly as if the clutch wasnt engaged all the way, but I ALWAYS push the clutch in all the way. Also, sometimes when I go to pull the car out of gear while moving, it doesnt want to come out of gear without a bit of fight. Sometimes if I let the rpms drop a little it will slide right out of gear. Clutch issue? Tranny issue? Thanks for any input!

Old 05-05-2005, 06:32 AM

off topic here....but, why you ship it all the way to cali to have it installed and then ship back,.....

why not just find some local shop to do the work for you....

jay
Old 05-05-2005, 06:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Flush and bleed you clutch fluid. Sounds to me like your clutch is dragging badly.

Check your spark plugs, both condition and gap. The gap in a F.I. car needs to be much smaller but the consequence of this is that they can tend to foul more quickly.
Also double check all the wiring with the ESM. If they aren't soldered, do it.

ps. We have a F.I. forum for this sort of topic. Moving there now.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:34 AM

It was done through Manchester Honda in CT. The car was purchased there, and immediately shipped to California to have the install done. That way i've got documented proof that it was installed by comptech, through a honda dealership.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by djmatix,May 5 2005, 07:34 AM
It was done through Manchester Honda in CT. The car was purchased there, and immediately shipped to California to have the install done. That way i've got documented proof that it was installed by comptech, through a honda dealership.
It's good that you have this documentation. Previous to about a year and a half ago, most Comptech installations, regardless of where it was done or who did it, were done with crimp connectors. These connectors can fail in a week or a month or a year or never. Comptech has since advised all installations to be done NOT using the provided crimp connectors but rather, soldered connections. A Comptech "authorized" Honda dealer installation does not necessarily mean it was done correctly as many owners have painfully discovered. I'm not saying there is something wrong with your installation. I'm just saying it is but one other place to look.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:42 AM

Oh I hear ya! Ever since I worked at a stereo/tuning shop, i've never used crimp, butt connectors or anything. EVERYTHING is soldered. I'm taking it to the honda dealership to get the clutch bled, flushed, etc. I'm hoping that takes care of the captain crunch i've got going on in my tranny. I'm trying to persuade myself to buy the AEM EMS so I can fully tune this car.

I was spoiled running b-series motors for so long, and being able to burn my own roms and tuning with my innovate wideband. I just got my AEM UEGO in, and I need to get that installed ASAP!

thanks for your input, its always appreciated!
Old 05-05-2005, 11:52 AM

I tried whacking my map sensor, unplugging it, plugging it back in. No help. I just unplugged my negative terminal for 2 hours, plugged it back in and did the reset ecu dance. I'm waiting to leave work to see if it did anything. If that doesnt help i'm going to check the plugs, then the comptech esm.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by djmatix,May 5 2005, 12:52 PM
I tried whacking my map sensor, unplugging it, plugging it back in. No help. I just unplugged my negative terminal for 2 hours, plugged it back in and did the reset ecu dance. I'm waiting to leave work to see if it did anything. If that doesnt help i'm going to check the plugs, then the comptech esm.
You don't have to disconnect at the battery. You can simply pull the "BACK UP" fuse under the dash for 30 seconds to reset the ECU.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Banned

I would change your Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor immediately. If there is a TSB out for it then change it no matter what it bogs out at. MAP sensor does play a factor into your car bogging or not. You might want to check your throttle positioning sensor as well to for good measure.

Other than that how does the power band on your S feel now? I too am going to go with the Comptech SC.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With few exceptions (2 bad coil packs) every "poor performance" issue I've had has been the MAP sensor. I'm on #3, not that bad for 143k.

I've had bad idle, bad off-idle, mis-fire at mid-range, hesitation and bucking when accellerating, etc. For the price of a MAP sensor just buy one and put it in. Worst case, if it doesn't fix it you'll have a spare MAP for when it DOES eventually go bad.

Quick Reply: Comptech S doesnt want to boost :(