S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Coupler Woes...Return

Old 08-07-2007, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coupler Woes...Return

Well, after ~ 3 weeks with the new coupler supplied by the graces of Inline Pro (thank you guys!!!!), the same coupler is melting (yes, I said melting) away through the heat wrap. I'll include some pictures of this just so you can see for yourself. I've used double and triple thick heat wrap wedged between the manifold and the coupler...still, the heat wrap eventually bonds to the turbo manifold and then discintegrates, leaving the wool or w/e material the heat wrap has, exposed to the heat, which burns through it and to the coupler. Are there any couplers out there that can withstand this kind of heat or am I thinking of a pipe dream? I can't afford to take the compressor housing off to have an elbow welded since I have college courses daily and other things to attend to, not to mention the money. I'm basically asking for any realistic suggestions out there. The only common sense options I have @ this point are to replace the coupler and heat wrap every couple of weeks...which will add up til December when I'm going for another setup (no, I can't do it now, I don't have the time or money until then). I really don't want to do that seeing as how it's pricey for just one coupler (and I'll need a good condition one that can withstand higher heat...even with the heatwrap on, as this higher end coupler from IP has proven).

Pics:

^^^^^This is the heat wrap that makes contact with the coupler...notice it falling off on the sides, and I know you can't see from this pic, but the middle has actually began to bubble with air pockets.

^^^^ This is the side that makes contact with the manifold. You can see here where the metalic part of the wrap has come off and the wool or w/e cotton material that is has been eaten away from the heat.

Finally, this is the reason why all of this happens and why I can't simply 'move it' or 'reclock the turbo'. This picture shows the charge pipe and how far away it is from the manifold. There's really not even 1/4" space there. IMPORTANT NOTE: This pic was taken without the coupler on, so that makes the coupler/manifold come into contact from the start.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:16 PM

Yes, I know the pictures suck, my camera has been through the desert and came out a little less clear than originally.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:47 PM

I haven't had any issues with mine...

Your camera is taking great pictures of your feet...you just need to refocus a bit
Old 08-07-2007, 05:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try wrapping the area with a thick band clamp. I had to do this in a similar spot. It would contact the turbo housing but by putting a piece of steel in between the two it stopped melting. You may have already tried this but it worked for me.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:55 PM

[QUOTE=ChefJ,Aug 7 2007, 05:35 PM] try wrapping the area with a thick band clamp.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by slimjim8201,Aug 7 2007, 04:47 PM
I haven't had any issues with mine...

Your camera is taking great pictures of your feet...you just need to refocus a bit
lol, it can't focus very well b/c the lens sucks now....
Old 08-07-2007, 06:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is all torn apart laying in the living room right now or I would snap a shot for you. Play around with it a little it may work out.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:30 PM

I've searched for a clamp that has a width of 2.5"-3" which is realistically what I'd need and can't find any real site that has them this wide....guess I'll keep searching.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:20 AM

So...after a couple days of searching for a clamp wide enough to cover this area, I haven't found anything, if anyone has any info or help for this, I'd appreciate it.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:03 PM

I just thought of this: Putting a stainless steel or other metal band around the contact surface really won't do much...in fact, the metal will still heat up quite a bit and will most likely still melt through the coupler. Chef, how long has this 'worked' for you?

Quick Reply: Coupler Woes...Return