S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Developing Leak on VTEC Block on Vortech SC

Old 09-17-2007, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Developing Leak on VTEC Block on Vortech SC

Just noticed a developing leak on the VTEC block of the Vortech SC. This is where the VTEC solenoid mounts. I have checked the 3 bolts that hold the solenoid and the big bolt at the end of the triangular block and all of them seems to be torqued just right. It is not leaking a lot, but Im afraid that it might if I let it go.

Anyone else experience this? I am thinking that the VTEC solenoid gasket is worn and needs to be replaceed...Any other suggestions?

TIA
Old 09-17-2007, 08:35 AM

Your best bet is to loosen all the mounting bolts and retorque in the sequence listed in the vortech installation manual. Mine was leaking and I did this and it stopped havent seen a drop since.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:14 AM

Thanks. I will try that, but that's a lot of bolts! Any other suggestions based from experience?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:24 PM

I am not talking all the bolts just the ones they say you should have loose when installing the assembly in the vortech manual. Also make sure your vtec solenoid bolts are not stretched or broken. I changed mine out for titanium bolts because the old bolts broke.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:49 AM

Ahh, I see. Where did you get titanium bolts from? I might do this just to be safe.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:04 AM

www.racebolts.com
Old 09-19-2007, 12:23 PM

Appreciate it!
Old 09-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Former Moderator

Received 295 Likes on 274 Posts

If the SC is not installed in the correct sequence it will leak from the VTEC solenoid. Loosen all your mounts and retighten. You may have also cut the seal between the head and the mounting block.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:15 PM

I had one of the bolts which go thru the VTEC solenoid fall out. I discovered it after I started having a resonance vibration at 2-3k rpm and noticed some oil on my garage floor. It was leaking oil from behind the VTEC solenoid. I replaced the bolt with one overnighted from Vortech, and applied loctite of course. It still leaked a slight amount, and I then discovered that the 2 remaining bolts were finger-loose. After (carefully) tightening them up, the leak has stopped. No more vibration either.

Here are my thoughts: the bolts going thru the solenoid are quite long (80mm), fairly small(M8), have very limited engagement (small threaded portion), and are exposed to some fairly harsh vibration resulting from the resonance attendant to bolting a 50lb object to the front of the motor. Lastly, they are steel, and are being threaded into aluminum - which means you can't torque them down very tightly.

All of these factors make me wonder:

Has this happened to anyone else?

Is this a common problem with the Vortech?

And does Loctite fix the issue permanently?
Old 03-16-2008, 06:58 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I've seen several engines after running the Vortech where there is some wear around that area that almost looks like electrolysis. There is an large amount of stress and vibration that applies to that area. It is extremely important to assemble correctly the first time and avoid this if possible. Recheck the torque on those bolts occasionally.
Helicoils help too.

Quick Reply: Developing Leak on VTEC Block on Vortech SC