S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

E85 or water/meth injection?

Old 04-18-2016, 07:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default E85 or water/meth injection?

Okay so after having my car bog out in the middle of an intersection today while a huge Chevron semi was comming right at me. I feel the need to get rid of my heat soaking issue and switch to either E85 or meth injection. I have an E85 station available about 28-30 kilometers away. So thats a 60km round trip just for gas(kind of a turn off). The other option is using water/meth injection which seems a bit easier. I was told it may not fix the heatsoak issue because it only works at full throttle. Is this true or can it be adjusted depending on boost? Whats your recommendation? Buy the sensor and injectors(already have pump installed) and get a re-tune? Or water/meth and tune? Is there any other way to prevent/fix heatsoak?
Old 04-18-2016, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, they both have their pros and cons.

E85 can be a pain because
  1. You might need larger injections
  2. Cold start can sometimes be an issue (I see you're based in Canada)
  3. Be prepared to flush your lines with gas if you're not daily driving the car on ethanol, letting it sit in your fuel tank for long enough (ymmv) will clog up your injectors and then you'll really be screwed
  4. Might not really solve your heat soaking issues

Methanol? I can't really vouch for it as I've never used it... but filling up your methanol tank every tank of gas seems a little annoying to me, each to their own

Either way, I think you're better off trying to come up with a solution to get some colder air in the bay

Edit: I just saw you're running the SOS kit, I would seriously consider getting the Comptech CAI that they ship with their supercharger kit. Unfortunately you have to buy it with all the NA accessores (they don't ship just the box) but I feel as though it has made a huge improvement on my setup. I have done a fair bit to the car since my last tune on the 3.4" pulley, I was only making 14.5-15psi tops, on the 3.2" pulley I am apparently up around the ~20psi mark according to my tuner, whether I can attribute this solely to the CAI or if it was other supporting mods I can't really say
Old 04-18-2016, 09:26 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Water/meth injection is more effective in combustion cooling. E85 shares in some of the attributes but its primary function is being a lower volatile fuel to control detonation. Injecting water actually cools. Ive run it when supercharged, and its very effective if you execute it properly. Your also not ever bound to a radius of E85 gas stations which is lame.

I took pleasure in filling up my water/meth tank in the trunk. It can last a wile depending on your tank and nozzle size and how often your engaging it. The triggering is relative to boost amount you have set not throttle opening, and boost amount at a given throttle % is based on the pulley size your running. If your running a larger pulley/lower boost then you have to open the throttle more to see boost and less throttle with a small pulley. I saw positive pressure threshold at 30% opening with a 3.2" pulley. But you can call the injection to come in at any desired boost amount.

There is a learning curve in the water/meth injection arena, several types of systems that employ the injection differently and so its important to understand this a bit to know whats going to be most effective for your application. I educated myself when I saw its application benefits on my car. Id suggest doing a little online research to get a grasp, or your at the mercy of a rather limited knowledge base of a tuner. Its really a pretty cool thing (no pun intended ) which has been around/used since WW2 in turbo aircraft engines and later adapted to formula 1 cars in the 70-80's and many other applications in between.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that you should look more into getting your tune and heat soak issue fixed before considering e85 or water/meth.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by soulicious
I think that you should look more into getting your tune and heat soak issue fixed before considering e85 or water/meth.
How do I fix the heatsoak issue though. Other than relocating the sensor?? Also I am running 4" cold air intake from the bumper. It happens the worst when Im parked for more than 20 minutes. I dont think thats in the tune though.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I mentioned your tune since it sounds like there is an issue from your other thread. For heat soak, make sure that everything is working properly. Maybe try using distilled water and water wetter for your air to water setup and try the throttle body coolant bypass.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:56 PM

I've done everything I can. The tb is aftermarket and doesnt have that hose. Got rid of the air to water setup. Only thing I can think of is running e85 or meth injection. Ive since added a cold air intake aswell.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

E85 is really only helping by burning cooler, i.e. lower EGTs. If you want better intake temperatures meth is probably your best bet.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're running a 1500 wouldn't you just switch to E85 eventually anyway?
Old 04-19-2016, 06:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That looks absolutely AWESOME!

Quick Reply: E85 or water/meth injection?