S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Elda Engineering Turbo Kit

Old 12-09-2004, 03:02 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Ceramic ball bearing? Turbonetics ball-bearing turbo, not Garrett GT series?

Tim
Old 12-10-2004, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We use ITS, they are the only ones that have Ceramic Ball Bearing.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:54 PM

I just spent the last hour reading every post everyone had to say. I am very interested in all this. Lotsa info and time taken into this thread. It has been going for months. January/February is just around the corner. Tax Return= Cool Turbo kit! I am liking the looks for it is different than all the "pipe down one side, pipe coming up the other." Ever since i put my AEM V2 in, my engine bay always looks like it is missing something.. With this kit, My Engine bay will be happy again being filled with Joy.

I can't wait for this kit and neither can my Wallet! WHOOOOOO WEEEEEEEE

Dannis Subscribed!
Old 12-16-2004, 05:18 PM

[QUOTE=kitwetzler,Nov 9 2004, 05:28 PM]
Hm, interesting.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:05 AM

I still want to know why venting the BOV to atmosphere creates an "oily mess under the hood."
Old 12-19-2004, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nixlimited,Dec 19 2004, 11:05 AM
I still want to know why venting the BOV to atmosphere creates an "oily mess under the hood."
It doesn't. It's not possible to have oil come out of an atmospheric BOV unless you've got an oil leak in your turbo or something and oil is shooting into your hotpipe and eventually some of it comes out of the BOV when it vents.

I and many others ran and still run atmospheric BOV's on our turbo Nissans with no issues with this "oily mess" that you are referring to.... atmospheric vs recirculated BOV's mainly deal with air itself. For example, in some applications, you will need to recirculate because the MAS/MAF will measure an amount of air and expects that amount of air to go into the system. Therefore if in this situation, the BOV were to vent to the atmosphere, you would be missing a chunk of air since less air is going into the system than was calculated.... I'm sure someone can provide a better explanation than this though, but that is the jist of it.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:07 AM

That's what I figured, but Wael was saying that it created a mess and I don't doubt his mechanical merits. Maybe it is something else that I am missing.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:17 AM

For example, in some applications, you will need to recirculate because the MAS/MAF will measure an amount of air and expects that amount of air to go into the system.
hondas have an entirely different air metering setup. you shouldn't have a problem venting. on my dsm i had to place the MAF after the bov to maintain proper A/F ratio after shifting (and venting to the atmosphere)
Old 12-20-2004, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by JDM Baller,Dec 19 2004, 10:18 PM
It doesn't. It's not possible to have oil come out of an atmospheric BOV unless you've got an oil leak in your turbo or something and oil is shooting into your hotpipe and eventually some of it comes out of the BOV when it vents.

I and many others ran and still run atmospheric BOV's on our turbo Nissans with no issues with this "oily mess" that you are referring to.... atmospheric vs recirculated BOV's mainly deal with air itself. For example, in some applications, you will need to recirculate because the MAS/MAF will measure an amount of air and expects that amount of air to go into the system. Therefore if in this situation, the BOV were to vent to the atmosphere, you would be missing a chunk of air since less air is going into the system than was calculated.... I'm sure someone can provide a better explanation than this though, but that is the jist of it.
under boost, you usually blow oil through the PCV valve (blowby).

often times, that produces the "oily mess" they were talking about, which is simple to solve with a vented catch can.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by goberserk,Dec 16 2004, 07:18 PM
One reason this setup may be preferred is because the turbo has the least amount of work to do. In order to get the same cooling from the air-to-air unit the pressure at the compressor goes up and the turbo has to do more work - you lose efficiency/power. Although more work needs to be done to get that heat out of the water it's not the engine/turbos concern/effort. It's up to the radiator (which has been sized properly) and the air in front of the car.
An Air to Water IC is only more efficient in transient boost conditions, ie when you can give it lots of time to shed the heat. In track and even heavy street driving, the equilibrium temperature of an air to water IC with a heavy WOT to closed throttle ratio, an air to water IC becomes much less efficient, if it doesn't have enough of a water supply. I found that my supercharged M3 would heat 3 gallons to about 20-30 above ambient in less than 10 minutes on the track, at which time it became MUCH less efficient than an air to air.

Quick Reply: Elda Engineering Turbo Kit