S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Extrude Honing OEM manifold

Old 06-04-2009, 06:42 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Extrude Honing OEM manifold

Back when I was in the ford crowd running an SVT contour engine in my cougar. It was popular to do extrude honing to the SVT intake manifold to give it a bump in airflow. Up to 44% increases were seen over the oem non-svt manifold.

Has anyone looked into or done this process to the S2000's intake manifold? It would allow increasing the inner diameter of the intake manifold and also debur any imperfections inside.

The target being opening up the intake manifold and TB for an FI application.

What are your thoughts S2Ki?

http://www.extrudehone.com/auto/
Old 06-04-2009, 08:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandMasterKhan,Jun 4 2009, 06:42 PM
Back when I was in the ford crowd running an SVT contour engine in my cougar. It was popular to do extrude honing to the SVT intake manifold to give it a bump in airflow. Up to 44% increases were seen over the oem non-svt manifold.

Has anyone looked into or done this process to the S2000's intake manifold? It would allow increasing the inner diameter of the intake manifold and also debur any imperfections inside.

The target being opening up the intake manifold and TB for an FI application.

What are your thoughts S2Ki?

http://www.extrudehone.com/auto/
I persnally was going to do this but after a good cleaning the interior was very clean and all that I felt could be doen is a gasket match.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:56 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

It was done about 8 years back. A search brought up: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...t=0&#entry61028
Old 06-05-2009, 07:30 PM

I find it weird that one has looked into this further. 8 years ago we didnt have 500whp s2000s. Surely doing a few passes with extrude Hone to the oem manifold could increase the inner diameter of the intake manifold runners and allow more air into the engine no?
Old 06-06-2009, 02:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just because you increase the inner diameter of any air flow passage on an engine it doesnt always equal more power. you can lose power just as easily. if it has been done 8 years ago and there is no following now it probably means that he lost power or there was no difference or no significant difference.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last post sounds ignorant and probably doesnt know what extrde honing is.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:55 PM

if it was 8 years ago wouldnt it be likely he was running a comptech with like 5psi?
Old 06-07-2009, 12:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stooky2,Jun 6 2009, 03:59 AM
Last post sounds ignorant and probably doesnt know what extrde honing is.
honestly extrude honing is pretty old stuff. and he posted a web site...
Old 06-07-2009, 01:42 AM

ExtrudeHone has been around for a LONG time, and had been tried on quite a few Hondas back in the day. I could've sworn they sponsored Lisa Kubo and her Civic at one point during the Battle of the Import days.

Anyways, the theory behind ExtrudeHoning seems sound...but just like any other modification, the gains would only be good depending on how bad the original design was, right? I think it's already been discussed on these boards that our stock intake manifold's main "weakness" is the actual plenum size. And I don't think ExtrudeHoning increases the actual volume the plenum can hold; instead it just smooths out the airflow through the manifold. So even if there were gains, they would probably be minimal and probably not justify the price. That's my theory, anyways.

Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:58 AM

they did sponser lisa kubo. iirc her civic had terrible orange and pink graphics, but it was faaaast. there were a lot of write-ups about this process back in the spocom days. the main benefit was smoothing of the angles to the runners and removing imperfections from the casting process. i think a very mild hone would be a great place to start on a high-boost machine. someone should pick up a second manifold and go for it!

Quick Reply: Extrude Honing OEM manifold