S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

FI fence sitter advice

Old 01-21-2015, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FI fence sitter advice

So I'm a long time force induction fence sitter. No stranger to force induction with my turbo miata, I debate over and over which FI is best suited for my s2k.

One day I make up and say I want a turbo. Then a few months later, I hit some maintenance with the miata's turbo or read reviews on turbo and SC kits then make my up mind maybe SC is better for me. Then months later, I hear about some electric SC buzz and that piques my interest and now i'm looking at NOS kits for their simple and inexpensive nature....then hear about the new Kraftwerk and I get the SC bug again.

so basically bouncing all over the options when it comes to FI .

that said I prefer to make improvements on parts that I know are beneficial to all forms of FI.
I was wondering what improvements I could do in the mean time, before I make that final FI commitment.

Like I can do the intake but I would toss it away if I went SC. or toss headers for turbos. etc

What I have:
Berk HFC
Flashpro.....i'm not too ambitious with the HP gains so I'm fine with this being the final limiting factor.
Type Mu pads

What I could do for now?:
Exhaust system
throttle body
lighter rims...still love my stock rims though
bbk....yes excessive
clutch
timing gear

and of course money comes in waves so I'm always balancing what I can afford right now.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:26 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't spend anymore money lol you are at the point where you must make a choice. Either way, you're gonna wish you did the other lol any well know s2000 friendly shops in your area? If so, I would look into seeing their turbo kits or sc installs. If not, sc would be the easiest choice as install only requires someone who's able to follow directions from the supplied guide. Good luck!
Old 01-21-2015, 07:28 AM

nitrous isnt a bad idea...kinda all depends on what your use for the S is. how much more power are you wanting? i'd say turbo is the obvious answer to wanting larger whp #'s. as far as fi maintenance, like any other fi car, spend the $ and get legit parts and you'll have less headache in the future. i'm currently piecing my own kit together, and total cost will surpass any complete kit on the market, but i'm getting the best of the best. i like to think of it as setting myself for stability in the car. plus, you have to take into account the driver, how do you drive your machine? how do you maintain your vehicles themselves...theres alot of factors here
Old 01-21-2015, 07:29 AM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Berk HFC doesn't like FI on the s2k. It won't last long once it sees boost.

Exhaust. SC: stock is great with a test pipe. Turbo: go big.

throttle body. SOS

bbk. I have the racingbrake front and rear bbk. The fronts have a known squealing issue. It's really bad.

clutch. ACT and ap1 flywheel.

timing gear. No idea.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:12 AM

Feel free to add more recommendations to the list.

I'm at that point where i'm like "well I got some extra money right now, not enough for a SC/turbo/nos, but maybe theres a few things i should do now that's not wasteful/excessive spending"

Trying not to be specific in terms of desired hp gains or specific brand components.
I guess the Flashpro is my limiting factor so whatever the max it can handle....looking at the sticky power chart preferably at least 300 and 400-500 hp max.
More of thinking conceptually what I can do.

To me, a no brainer must do mod is an improved clutch.
anything better then the stock clutch is needed, rated ~300 hp

improved exhuast gas flow is kind of a must do
Those choices are a HFC/TP, Header and Exhaust system.....but headers would not work for my particular action plan.

I'm just trying to so what other ideas are there.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:32 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Another item you can upgrade prior to going FI, is your cooling system. I went with a Koyo Radiator, but quite a few FI folks are also running Mishimoto radiators. Also check out the "mrsideways" dual pass radiator: http://www.mrsideways.com/s2000radiator.html
Old 01-21-2015, 08:35 AM

If you dont have the $ for spray or a fi kit. I'd save the money you do have then. Power goals wise. Sounds like s/c would be your best bet btw. Spray too if you dont care about having the power on tap and really wanting to spend less cash
Old 01-21-2015, 08:43 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by miatas2k
To me, a no brainer must do mod is an improved clutch.
anything better then the stock clutch is needed, rated ~300 hp

I put a 300hp kit with (if memory serves) about 210 ftlb of torque on my car, and I have roots so the torque is instant and not progressive. I had ~30,000 miles on the car and the stock clutch gave me 8,000 solid miles until its first slip in a high gear so I went ACT after that. I can wind it out through the gears and go to redline but I do not beat on the car, especially the clutch. Take that to mean I have never done a high rpm dump or even burned rubber from a standing start.

But with that said, if you are at a lower power level, you can milk a clutch for several thousand miles before you replace if you are short on cash. How long it will last will depend on its state of wear and your driving style. I milked mine because having the dealer install and new parts cost me $2k. Clutch is just to big a job for me.

Another suggestion is this: look at already FI'ed cars and sell your existing. I am putting mine up for sale some time late this summer but I will never get what I put into it. If you find a well cared for car with an SC on it, you will pay pennies on the dollar and then you can just sell your car. I put $7k into it in the last year AFTER I had bought the kit, (clutch, new engine management, tune, upgraded blower, larger intercooler, bigger injectors) and there is no way I will get that money back. A pre-modded car is the original owners loss and your gain, as long as you can find a quality cared for car.

At the very least, look for used kits in the for sale section.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:45 PM

i was never a fan of buying second hand.
but i don't want to come off cheap and rather pay for new legit parts.

with tax refunds coming up i'm estimating 2k-3k.
I'm thinking well that's not enough for a new FI kit.
but even if it was enough....i don't want to end up buying the kit and find out my 1000 miles later that my clutch is slipping or my stock fuel pump or injector is overloaded.
pretty sure most of the s2k FI kits require larger injectors...i'll double check that

but the point i'm getting at is any heads up on any supporting components i should consider upgrading before hand are welcomed.

I'll look what the stock radiator limitations are when it comes to FI.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:52 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by miatas2k
i was never a fan of buying second hand.
but i don't want to come off cheap and rather pay for new legit parts.

with tax refunds coming up i'm estimating 2k-3k.
I'm thinking well that's not enough for a new FI kit.
but even if it was enough....i don't want to end up buying the kit and find out my 1000 miles later that my clutch is slipping or my stock fuel pump or injector is overloaded.
pretty sure most of the s2k FI kits require larger injectors...i'll double check that

but the point i'm getting at is any heads up on any supporting components i should consider upgrading before hand are welcomed.

I'll look what the stock radiator limitations are when it comes to FI.
If you want over 300hp, fuel pump, injectors, sc, heat exchanger and pump, aftercooler, engine mangement, boost guage, wideband,clutch, and untold misc. Then I needed wider wheels and fatter tires. I thought I would spend $5k on a decent SC kit, it came to more than $10K when all was said and done. I would guess turbo is the same. Easy.

I bet though you will find many that say this, once you finally get it all the way you want it, you are ready to move on to something new. It is a sickness.

Quick Reply: FI fence sitter advice