S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Going Fi Need a couple pointers

Old 11-24-2013, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going Fi Need a couple pointers

Hey everyone I've been reading on hear for about a year or so now, and after tons of research I have decided to run forced induction. Now I faced the same problems most of you did with trying to pick an affordable set up that's reliable and puts down descent numbers. yes I know affordable and s2000 don't mix. I've decided on the Borg Warner EFR 7670 with a S2000 Forward Mount T3 EFR IWG Turbo Manifold. I have previously set the car up to run forced induction with a bigger fuel pump, id1000's, aem ems v2, and a few other things. so lets get into it. I want to make 350-400hp max, I'm assuming this will change but for now that's what I want.but hears the questions I need opinions/answered.

1. Is this turbo/ manifold going to be reliable?
-if you have other opinions please feel free to share.
-is this turbo to big for the desired 350hp?
-is the full race intercooler a waste of money?

2. Would you recommend to custom fabricate the down pipe? I'm fairly experienced in Tig welding and own one as well. Is this something I should make cause I could do it for cheap? I planned on doing all the intercooler piping like this as well?

3. Do I need to change the head gasket?

4. what do I need to buy to run the oil aspect to and from the turbo?
- I'm completely lost on this so any pictures/ advice would help as I plan to do this myself.

5. Future problems I'm going to run into? Any precautions I can take to fix these?

6. Am I better off just buying a complete turbo kit opposed to piecing one together?

I'd appreciate any input you guys have! I'm sorry if some of these have been discussed in other threads. just trying to get some opinions as I need this figured out by this week.
I was looking to spend around 5-6 grand but if I can do it cheaper than that id like to!
Old 11-24-2013, 03:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2. anytime you can fabricate something on your own, there is not one single disadvantage to that. and it looks ten times better when a piece is made specifically for the application.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:55 PM

["redboost10"] So would buying this turbo manifold, replicating it exactly then selling it and using the one I made a bad idea or are these treated with something to withstand certain temperatures?
Old 11-24-2013, 04:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why replicate something? Place the turbo where you want it and build a manifold. Have some fun doing things your own way with your own ideas. No, they are not treated with anything.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

as someone who owns a tig welder I would build it myself as long as you have the supporting equipment a way to cut precisely and the skill needed to run good beads and a way to purge the pipe. I mean no disrespect by any of this we don't know each other and as it took me years to trust myself to jobs that precise. at least if you build it you can install bellows and braces which will go along way towards a system that doesn't crack and I would use 316 or 321 stainless but its hard to work with. there was a build tread recently were the guy did all his own fab work and it was excellent I will try and find it and bump it up so you can see it best of luck on going fi
Old 11-24-2013, 06:18 PM

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kwithadream
6. Am I better off just buying a complete turbo kit opposed to piecing one together?

I was looking to spend around 5-6 grand but if I can do it cheaper than that id like to!

only way to stay under $6k while retaining a quality setup and easily make your desired goals are to buy my turbo kit. 400 on 12psi all day long and easily able to make 500+. click the link in my signature
Old 11-24-2013, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by s2k manic
as someone who owns a tig welder I would build it myself as long as you have the supporting equipment a way to cut precisely and the skill needed to run good beads and a way to purge the pipe. I mean no disrespect by any of this we don't know each other and as it took me years to trust myself to jobs that precise. at least if you build it you can install bellows and braces which will go along way towards a system that doesn't crack and I would use 316 or 321 stainless but its hard to work with. there was a build tread recently were the guy did all his own fab work and it was excellent I will try and find it and bump it up so you can see it best of luck on going fi
Id like to think I have good amount of experience, as well as equipment to do the job, however this would be my first turbo manifold. And no disrespect taken I'm looking for anyone's input!
Old 11-24-2013, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuka_Joe
only way to stay under 6k while retaining a quality setup and easily make your desired goals are to buy my turbo kit. 400 on 12psi all day long and easily able to make 500+. click the link in my signature
I'm set on the Borg Warner turbo, but would you be interested in selling your inter cooler?
Old 11-24-2013, 07:58 PM

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kwithadream
If you can build something yourself, then you may consider it a "waste of money". The only cooler I see on their website is $600. I can't tell from the pics if they use a garrett core (I don't THINK it is), but if it is, it is a decent price for it. I bought a 24x10x3.5 core ($440) and made it work for me. I never welded onto a core before, and was worried about burning the fins up. As long as you keep the heat pointed away from the fins, you shouldn't have an issue, and it should weld fairly easy.

2. Like it was said earlier, make whatever you can if you're comfortable with it. Make it how you want it....it isn't guaranteed that you'll like everything about a vendor's product.

3. Should not have to.

4. Honda uses a 1/8 Bspt for the oil pressure switch. I personally used a 1/8 bspt to 1/8 npt adapter, and used npt to -3an adapter to run my -3 stainless oil line to the turbo. The drain is a common -10an line emptying into the lower area of the timing chain cover.

5. Maaaybe drivetrain damage, tire spin, small rodents sucked into turbo, WOT syndrome

6. Depends on how much you like building your own parts. "Free time" is a big factor as well.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgen
Originally Posted by s2kwithadream' timestamp='1385339790' post='22892857
If you can build something yourself, then you may consider it a "waste of money". The only cooler I see on their website is $600. I can't tell from the pics if they use a garrett core (I don't THINK it is), but if it is, it is a decent price for it. I bought a 24x10x3.5 core ($440) and made it work for me. I never welded onto a core before, and was worried about burning the fins up. As long as you keep the heat pointed away from the fins, you shouldn't have an issue, and it should weld fairly easy.

2. Like it was said earlier, make whatever you can if you're comfortable with it. Make it how you want it....it isn't guaranteed that you'll like everything about a vendor's product.

3. Should not have to.

4. Honda uses a 1/8 Bspt for the oil pressure switch. I personally used a 1/8 bspt to 1/8 npt adapter, and used npt to -3an adapter to run my -3 stainless oil line to the turbo. The drain is a common -10an line emptying into the lower area of the timing chain cover.

5. Maaaybe drivetrain damage, tire spin, small rodents sucked into turbo, WOT syndrome

6. Depends on how much you like building your own parts. "Free time" is a big factor as well.
I appericate the answers, ill plan on starting a build thread sometime in the next couple week and post up some pics/progress. Free time is an issue but i guess ive got all winter to get this project done. Thanks for the help, is the oil system somewhat easy to do for a first timer?

Quick Reply: Going Fi Need a couple pointers