S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Got a boost dilemma ... need guys with experience please.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got a boost dilemma ... need guys with experience please.

So before you freak out and tell me to "search", I just wanted to say that in the next few weeks I will be spending A LOT of time in the FI section. But I need to set some thing straight first. I previously had the Comptech kit on my 00 Berlina a couple years back(280whp before tuner felt uncomfortable pushing it due to running too rich). But I would like more power this time around with my 02 Berlina. My dilemma is that I'm torn between a Kraftwerk SC kit or a custom turbo kit. Here's why:

*I want to be right about the 350-400whp range(93octane).
*Remain stock as possible with only AEM EMS, Clutch, aftermarket exhaust and header(if going with the SC kit). I am open to upgrades later down the line though, just prefer not now due to funds.
*Prefer to keep the AC if possible.
*I hope that the car does not break down before the summer is over, so that I could actually enjoy driving it with the new power increase. So reliability is key.
*I like to keep this boost project under 6k(used parts is fine).

Originally, I wanted to build a custom turbo kit. The goal was to be around 450-500whp. But to be completely honest, I do not trust myself with 500whp. I was in my buddy's 500ish whp s2000 and let's just say it was too much power for me. IHMO, I need to learn how to drive a 350-400whp s2000 first. Worst of all, with a turbo kit...I found myself wanting the good stuff only. Before I knew it, clutch/diff/head work/custom exhaust...etc, I was around $7000 into the parts list and capable of pushing 800whp on E86. Overkill IMO.

So given my situation I stated above, what would be my best option? Your imputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:28 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

S/C kit seems to be set it and forget it kind of boost.

Turbo kit youll be constantly chasing higher n higher numbers...in turn higher and higher cost...

if money is not an issue buy the PTuning kit and have fun... i think Mr.60Trim is selling this kit used with the billet snail.

if you satisfied with 350-400whp contact Moddiction and get the Kraftwerks kit at the Group Buy price...cant beat that. I might do the same. But you should def read the FI threads...they are very helpful in understanding things.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new KW kit so a sos stage 2 without a doubt. Hits all yourself goals and can still crank up to 450 if you want. I think overall power output is less important then power delivery. On a turbo car power can ramp up quickly. Sc car is smooth linear delivery. That will be more controllable and sounds like more your speed.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Posted Today, 12:27 AM

Based on what you posted, I would prob go with a SC kit (new KW or SOS 2). These kits will put you in the hp range you're looking for and you can keep the AC. In my opinion SC seem to be a little more reliable but as we all know it really depends on the install and tune. It seems power delivery is the main issue because certainly a SC s2k with 350+ hp is nothing to sneeze at and you can get a SC s2k to 500 hp. With the SC the power is very linear and as long as you don't bang thru the gears you can drive around like stock and no one will even you're modified except for the heat exchanger and that high pitched whistle sound lol. But once you floor it watch out!
Old 01-24-2015, 03:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If that is your goal...and you don't think your goal will change after you feel the 450-500, then SC. You could get the SOS kit and put it all together in a weekend with a friend and a few cold beers. As you know from your previous experience it is not really set it and forget it as most people think...there is always some additional maintenance required.

I have had a couple of SC setups on my car and now on my second turbo, so as long as you don't get the boost bug you will be fine...if you happen to catch a small case of boost bug, then you should plan on working some overtime, getting a second job or winning the lottery...
Old 01-24-2015, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the info guys. I understand that I MAY have to upgrade sometime down the line and build a turbo kit. And I pray that I do not have the luxury of upgrading to a turbo kit as I know too well, there's always someone faster than you. But if that day should come, I'll sell the SC kit for whatever I can and cover the rest. In the meantime, I'm going to piece together the cheapest turbo kit while still considering quality and see if I'm content with the parts and estimated power gains.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by General Kratos
Thanks for all the info guys. I understand that I MAY have to upgrade sometime down the line and build a turbo kit. And I pray that I do not have the luxury of upgrading to a turbo kit as I know too well, there's always someone faster than you. But if that day should come, I'll sell the SC kit for whatever I can and cover the rest. In the meantime, I'm going to piece together the cheapest turbo kit while still considering quality and see if I'm content with the parts and estimated power gains.
I still think one of the nicest budget builds is a plm divided t3 with a open turbine housing. Honest power figures and reliable for the money.

edit: howww did i get here lol. I thought i was commenting on the 350-400 current thread lol

Last edited by MorngWoodStewie; 07-14-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Avoid KW kit like its the plague.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R
Avoid KW kit like its the plague.
this
Old 07-15-2017, 07:19 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you guys notice this thread is two years old.

Quick Reply: Got a boost dilemma ... need guys with experience please.