Grams, AEM or Walbro Fuel Pump for SC Build - Which is Preferred? - Page 2 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > Special Interest > S2000 Forced Induction
Reload this Page >

Grams, AEM or Walbro Fuel Pump for SC Build - Which is Preferred?

Notices
S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.
Sponsored by:

Grams, AEM or Walbro Fuel Pump for SC Build - Which is Preferred?

Old 11-01-2018, 11:14 AM
  #11  
 
Mijae007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,544
Thanked 49 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Exactly what riceball777 said. The stock wires simply don't cut it for any aftermarket pump. And the 255 is outdated technology. Just go with the walbro 450 or 525 WITH the sos rewire kit. The last thing you want is for your wires to melt inside the tank and potentially spark and your entire car go up into flames. Go on their website scienceofspeed.com and look it up its not that much. And i know where you're coming from about the wiring ordeal. I felt the exact same way but the kit comes with very detailed instructions along with pictures. Buy yourself a soldering gun and you're good to go.

Sales pitch: I have a used aem320 pump for sale. $60shipped. There's nothing wrong with it. Replaced it for a larger pump thats all. This pump primes loud when you turn your key on to ignition, but then operates just like the others, quiet.
Mijae007 is offline  
Old 11-01-2018, 02:42 PM
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Dallas
Posts: 3,949
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I'm making 530whp right now with the AEM 320 and SOS rewire kit. I'm not sure why you're so against rewiring. It's not like you're wiring something complex like a Motec harness.
kumar75150 is offline  
Old 11-01-2018, 03:48 PM
  #13  
 
riceball777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 2,980
Thanked 29 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER View Post
Thanks for the tips. Rewiring is something I only want to consider as a last resort. How much are we looking at for the rewiring kit from SOS? Why is the 255 Walbro so loud and annoying when the higher flow rate models are quiet? Will I hear it when driving slow and fast? I'm all for the 450 if it would run on stock wiring but I suppose if the rewiring kit is inexpensive and is 'plug 'n play' then I'll go for it.
like i said rewiring of the pump should be done with any after market high flowing pump even with the walbro 255. The stock wires simply is not of a big enough size to supply to supply the pump with the power it needs. The sos wiring kit is cheep and is the best kit that is specially designed for the s2000. I have no idea why the walbro 255 is the only pump that is loud but it is loud and there is zero point is using this pump when there are much better options out there at almost the same cost. When driving fast you probable wont hear the 255 but when driving slow and at idle you will hear it.
riceball777 is offline  
Old 11-02-2018, 12:34 AM
  #14  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
RolanTHUNDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Not where I WANT to BE...
Posts: 1,248
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mijae007 View Post
Exactly what riceball777 said. The stock wires simply don't cut it for any aftermarket pump. And the 255 is outdated technology. Just go with the walbro 450 or 525 WITH the sos rewire kit. The last thing you want is for your wires to melt inside the tank and potentially spark and your entire car go up into flames. Go on their website scienceofspeed.com and look it up its not that much. And i know where you're coming from about the wiring ordeal. I felt the exact same way but the kit comes with very detailed instructions along with pictures. Buy yourself a soldering gun and you're good to go.

Sales pitch: I have a used aem320 pump for sale. $60shipped. There's nothing wrong with it. Replaced it for a larger pump thats all. This pump primes loud when you turn your key on to ignition, but then operates just like the others, quiet.
I definitely don't want that to happen. Does the AEM 320 need a special bracket or is it a drop in filter?
RolanTHUNDER is online now  
Old 11-02-2018, 12:34 AM
  #15  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
RolanTHUNDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Not where I WANT to BE...
Posts: 1,248
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kumar75150 View Post
I'm making 530whp right now with the AEM 320 and SOS rewire kit. I'm not sure why you're so against rewiring. It's not like you're wiring something complex like a Motec harness.
Against it because I'd prefer plug 'n play, drop in and be done with it.
RolanTHUNDER is online now  
Old 11-02-2018, 12:47 AM
  #16  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
RolanTHUNDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Not where I WANT to BE...
Posts: 1,248
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by riceball777 View Post
like i said rewiring of the pump should be done with any after market high flowing pump even with the walbro 255. The stock wires simply is not of a big enough size to supply to supply the pump with the power it needs. The sos wiring kit is cheep and is the best kit that is specially designed for the s2000. I have no idea why the walbro 255 is the only pump that is loud but it is loud and there is zero point is using this pump when there are much better options out there at almost the same cost. When driving fast you probable wont hear the 255 but when driving slow and at idle you will hear it.
I checked out the SOS site. The wiring kit is fairly cheap. If the 255 sounds as loud as you described and in those conditions then I'd rather go for one of the other sizes you mentioned.
RolanTHUNDER is online now  
Old 11-02-2018, 04:31 AM
  #17  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 303
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Ever thought about getting a surge tank? considerably more money, but prewired, don't have to get into the tank, will support more than you need, and has the added benefit of no cavitation.
ninetysixyenko is offline  
Old 11-02-2018, 05:14 AM
  #18  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
RolanTHUNDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Not where I WANT to BE...
Posts: 1,248
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ninetysixyenko View Post
Ever thought about getting a surge tank? considerably more money, but prewired, don't have to get into the tank, will support more than you need, and has the added benefit of no cavitation.
Can't say I have. It's not a problem to install an appropriate pump so I'll just go that route. Thanks for the suggestion though
RolanTHUNDER is online now  
Old 11-02-2018, 06:30 AM
  #19  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
RolanTHUNDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Not where I WANT to BE...
Posts: 1,248
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Can I trust a "universal" pump?? Check this out: https://treperformance.com/i-2389963...fuel-pump.html
RolanTHUNDER is online now  
Old 11-02-2018, 07:49 AM
  #20  
 
Mijae007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,544
Thanked 49 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER View Post
Against it because I'd prefer plug 'n play, drop in and be done with it.
No such thing. Out of the entire install fuel pumps require the rewire kit. Trust everyone here thats already been there done that its a good security to have. Plus it wont ever starve the pump of power causing it to dysfuntion. Like i said theres a member here whose wires and connector melted due to the heat that was generated by the stock wires...its not too crazy to think this problem couldve led to a small spark and fire in your fuel tank.
edit* you could use the 255 with stock lines and it would work but the technology in that pump is a bit dated. Its loud and doesnt leave you with any room to grow.
Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER View Post
Can I trust a "universal" pump?? Check this out: https://treperformance.com/i-2389963...fuel-pump.html
Ap1 and ap2 have different part numbers. Make sure to get the right one for your MY.
Mijae007 is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands