S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Heat soaked intake manifold

Old 03-24-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I would think that the cooled boosted air is moving into the cylinders so quickly, that the hot intake manifold shouldn't heat the air up that quickly over what temps you would see from the IAT readings coming from the charge pipe. In other words, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:08 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you capped off the hot water to the throttle body?
Old 03-25-2012, 04:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We all know Honda moved the IAT in later cars for a reason, in earlier cars i believe its provides an accurate reading in stock location its just it heat soaks like f@#k .

I've read the Hondata intake manifold gasket dont do a lot and folk have said they warp, I'm glad D1sclaimer posted that picture i knew what folk said about them not being all that and warping.

Dan does you statement still stand even at low revs when the TB plate is still more or less closed? maybe you mean 4000rpm or so?

I think at the end of the day I'd rather run on the safe side, so i would either move the IAT on the intake tract (AC or whatever your setup is) or leave it where its at plus as a minimum run a pipe to the filter from the outside (IMO will make a small difference), personally I've ran a pipe to the filter.

I think though folk can take into consideration the IAT location in stock form and in the calibration maps take this into consideration and not pull as much timing.

Thing is the IAT sensor is a bit slow as far as reacting to change, so its not entirely accurate/fast response and one can tune around it. When logging in the past when you go into WOT it drops quickly just takes a bit of time, I think there will be a small real difference in terms of temps coming in and when IAT in unsoaked terms though.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the actual temp of the air going in when under full throttle was about 8-9 degrees over ambient temps via my standalone ait sensor and gauge i rigged up that was mounted to the hot side of the aftercooler. I have a brake duct flexi tube run up to the filter from the front of the car that feeds very fresh air in. So as spoolin was sayin, yeah, the air coming in is actuall wonderfull under load. But its the sitting in traffic, or just everyday driving where the throttle is mostly closed that i know the oven intake manifold is having a thermic effect on the air coming in for sure. To what degree(pun intended), i am not sure though.

It just irritates me that honda ran the coolant through part of the im like they did and the amount of heat transfer that comes through head to the im is crazy. The heat exchanger and aftercool are working perfectly and im so pleased with them, but then the evil heat soak shows up like a drunk frat guy and ruins the day.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:56 AM

Has anyone looked into the possibility of installing a slim Spal fan on the underside of the hood and pointed at the IM? Porsche does something like this on its 911 turbos, with a fan attached to the underside of the engine trunk.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:35 AM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

runnign a fan isnt really an option. No room. the IAT location is a big concern. like posted, its easy to heat it up, but by the time the sensor sees cool air and reacts to it...its just too slow.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honda iat's have a very slow response as well. Thats something to keep in mind. There is a write up over on Honda-tech about the response time of a Honda oem iat sensor versus a GM iat sensor. We saw it while making some passes down the dragstrip.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a ford lightning as well so I have seen some heatsoak threads in my time. Alot of the guys use this product with great results.
http://www.killerchiller.com/
Old 03-25-2012, 08:28 PM

I've used the hondata im gasket for years without issue - with a blower it may be different due to the temps - they went to a blue color awhile back I not sure if they improved the material they used too. Most people are lazy asses and don't retq them when they are supposed to. I also run distilled water and water wetter.

It's definitely not the same as the p2r though - the finish work on the p2r is not as good and I would rate the material used a of a lessor quality just off hand.

you don't seem to be having a problem with temps now so problem solved. IF you think it's the blower not the engine that's heat soaking the IM add some reflective tape or other material.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just looked at my p2r gasket and it doesnt have no oval shape for the water port, fits nicely on my bmc billet intake

Quick Reply: Heat soaked intake manifold