S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

interesting find today regarding heatsoak

Old 05-30-2012, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interesting find today regarding heatsoak

So, i was just monitoring things after i made some intake adjustments and trying to find solid and reliable ways to fight heatsoak without getting a custom gasket made for the mani and a custom mani setup that doesnt route any coolant through it.

all that being noted:
i was cruising back from work, its about 91 here in FL, and my temps are staying right around 117. come to a light, sit, temps climb to 124, then start driving again, and they slowly attempt to return.

well, a squal from the tropical storm comes through... im doing about 60(keep in mind i have a bumper duct directing air directly up to my SC filter. not connected, just coming right up next to air feeding in fresh air at speed) and as the rain hits, my AIT's start to drop......and drop some more...... and drop some more... until the aem is reading 90 flat!!!

i was fairly excited by this! note: the rad temps did not drop however, they stayed right at 189-190 like usual. so i thought, hmmmm, guess my larger heat exchanger really isnt large enough and when the water sprayed it, the cooling really took over?

not the case.

i got home(by then the storm had passed though and i had sat in gay traffic for about 15 mins and got back up into the 120's) and left the car running, allowed it to start to heat soak and then took the garden hose and soaked the heat exchanger while monitoring the aem.

i was all ready to see the bottom drop out of the numbers... but nothing happened at all! so i kept drenching the heat exchanger to no avail whatsoever. the HE was cool to the touch as was the aftercooler. so i was like WTF?

i inspect the ducting running to the filter and see there was some water droplets sitting on the lip of it and the filter was a tiny bit wet. and then all my searching for how to combat heat soak finally came into perspective: as i touched the sc, it was hot as f@#k like it normally is, BUT, did the bit of water coming in the filter act like a water mist system and cool the charger and thus drop the temps?

so in the SC setup, i find the intake manifold is not the direct cause of the heat soaking, rather it is the sc housing itself, because there is no way the water made it in droplet form all the way through the filter, through the sc and into the manifold to make contact and cool the metal. that didnt happen. but i bet the small amount making it into the sc cooled the sc itself allowing the temps to drop.

keep in mind, the aftercooler and heat exchanger were both cool as a cucumber to the touch while the car sat and the temps climbed into the 130's while i tested my theory. and while sitting in the driveway, the rad temps only got to 196. so a diff of 6 degrees form driving. not enough to warrant a transfer of 20-25 degrees through the head into the manifold. its all in the sc heating itself up.

so, aside from getting an oil cooling mechanism that goes inbetween the oil feed from the engine to the sc(an oil cooler for the whole motor would be somewhat frivolous as the engine would continuously heat the oil back up anyway and the sc may see a 5-10 degree drop in its oild fed temp), what do you think we can do to eradicate this issue? and dont say water mist, because that is a band aid for a race, not a solution for a 40 minute daily drive.

gather ideas and discuss!!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

cliff's?
Old 05-30-2012, 11:46 AM

As water evaporates it reduces the air temps.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:32 PM

Cooler air was entering the sc inlet, due to the storm.

You saw this effect, as measured by the air temp sensor.

The specific heat of water is higher than air, therefor,
you see the air temps drop faster than the water temp,
due to an ambient air temp change.

The compressor may have been cooled some, bit the lower ambient air temp is what you saw.
Redo your test by injecting cold air into the intake.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A while back I heard of people doing water injection on turbo cars to cool the intake charge. I havnt researched it in a while, but apparently it uses boost to push the water in and cool the charge. no moving parts to fail.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:40 PM

nah.

for one, the external temps dropped by 11 degrees and were back to 90 by the time i crossed town and got home. and as i drove in the heat and the water in the air dissipated(drove out of the small squall) the temps climbed back up slowly, but surely.

radiator temps never changed a bit.

a drop of 11 degrees wont drop intake temps from the 120s to 90.

i think i will see what happens if i take a spray bottle and mist the filter while getting the car to heat soak, then see if temps start to plummet again. im always up for suggestions on this as it plagues our cars and its getting old. lol
Old 05-30-2012, 03:20 PM

Is it safe to wet the filter though? You'd think that wetting it would restrict flow..
Old 05-30-2012, 03:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sohc_mshue
As water evaporates it reduces the air temps.

This is why I spray straight water in my Intake manifold
Old 05-30-2012, 03:34 PM

Wondering about a water jet into the silicon intake tube right after the filter. Seams logical and great, but it becomes a task that i need to do while driving, which becomes irritating. So that is probably going to get nixed. :-)
Old 05-30-2012, 05:12 PM

Meth injection kit ?

Quick Reply: interesting find today regarding heatsoak