S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Kai's Mega DIY Build Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure how much my flywheel weighs, but it's the competition twin disc flywheel so I'm guessing around 9-10 pounds? I was thinking about having an old ap1 flywheel machined and just double stacking the twin disc set on top of it and redoing the custom bell housing to space the input shaft further out.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:19 AM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

With that light weight, no wonder you're having issues. May be do a ap1 and ap2 flywheel setup so you have options in case the ap1 noise is still to loud for you.

It's to bad there wasn't a way to use the z33 prop shaft. You can't reasonably buy better than OEM carbon fiber.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:56 AM

There is a guy on my facebook that has been running the z33 trans for years with no problem and has went 9s if you have one look me up and I'll add you and tag you in a conversation his English is a little rough but super cool guy
I'm bobbyrandolph my profile picture is my white s 2000 with a shaved bay

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-01-2014, 12:22 PM

Bobby, I think I know who you're talking about. His Z33 trans setup uses an adapter plate and I think his flywheel is a dual mass setup too. He lives in Greece right?
Old 06-01-2014, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by S2-Kai
Bobby, I think I know who you're talking about. His Z33 trans setup uses an adapter plate and I think his flywheel is a dual mass setup too. He lives in Greece right?
Yes that's him blue car

Old 06-01-2014, 12:28 PM

Think he is on the 350z diff also but he knows his stuff for sure

Old 06-01-2014, 12:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

call bully and make a steel flywheel heavy than the lightweith allu , 99% sure thats your probleme , you need dual mass flywheel on this or you gonna get a loud sound
Old 06-01-2014, 12:37 PM

Yea, he's running the Z33 diff too. I was blown away when I saw his post a few weeks back. I thought I would be the first to do it... I guess I'll be the first in N. America lol.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by beaudin223
call bully and make a steel flywheel heavy than the lightweith allu , 99% sure thats your probleme , you need dual mass flywheel on this or you gonna get a loud sound
Who's this Bully character you speak of? And how much would a custom dual mass flywheel run me?
Old 06-03-2014, 10:29 PM

So after driving an hour to see my girlfriend and then another 2+ in stop and go traffic, I realized today that I can't do it, I can't take the noise anymore... My ears are still ringing as I am typing this and fear I have caused permanent damage to my hearing. I have been working diligently on this transmission swap for so long now and even bought a second Z33 transmission in hopes of curing the dreaded noise, only to find out that it's my light=weight, single-mass-flywheel. Bruthaboost pointed me into that direction as far as common transmission problems with the Z/G, and after some quick research, I've come to the conclusion that I will need something close to a dual-mass-flywheel in order to remedy my issues. Given the criteria for trying to do this conversion on the cheap, I have decided to machine an old stock flywheel so that the Competition twin disc setup can be mounted on top of it. By doing this, I am hoping that the increased total mass of the 2 flywheels will be sufficient to dampen the engine vibrations. To make this work, I will have to account for the extra thickness of the double-stacked flywheels and must move the input shaft away from the crank to place it at the right dept. This will require me to re-cut, re-flange, and re-weld the bell housing cases with a thicker spacer. At this point, I really just want to get my car tuned so I can enjoy it. I've done all the work from fabricating the FMIC setup, to the dump tubes and exhaust, and plug-n-play harness for the EMS-4. The entire turbo setup is complete and just sitting in my garage, and the tuner is only 5 minutes up the highway I'm going to be dropping the stock transmission back into the car later this week with a Grip Force multi-friction clutch and get it tuned on pump gas while I get the Z trans sorted out. Anyways, I;m done ranting, goodnight world.

Quick Reply: Kai's Mega DIY Build Thread