S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Lighter flywheel

Old 02-05-2013, 06:52 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Lighter flywheel

Going to be putting in a new clutch when spring hits. I see some reputable (at least from some member posts) $200 chromoly flywheels that could be thrown into the deal when the work is done. Does this add any benefit to a FI car? From memory, it would be about 4lbs less than a stock AP1.

I don't mind the $200 if it adds some benefit, and have even considered some ridiculous weight savings upgrades for more money just because I throw money at the car for giggles every once in a while.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:35 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I like mine. It occasionally bites me and I kill the engine but it revs up & down like crazy.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

A good rule of thumb if you road race your car a light flywheel is better, if you drag race your car a heavier flywheel is better.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boostedf22c
A good rule of thumb if you road race your car a light flywheel is better, if you drag race your car a heavier flywheel is better.
Heavier is better for drag b/c the revs wont drop as fast during shifts?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sata3000
Originally Posted by boostedf22c' timestamp='1360082724' post='22315820
And the weight of the flywheel helps get the car moving from a stand still.

There are definitely benefits to having a lightweight flywheel, but the added energy (with a heavier flywheel) for launching a car outweighs the benefit of a lightened flywheel in a drag race environment.

A ligher flywheel is good for road race type cars because they are already moving, not trying to accelerate from a stop.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sata3000
Originally Posted by boostedf22c' timestamp='1360082724' post='22315820
Greater amount of energy stored which aids with a better launch.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

OP if you’re already doing a clutch, take the opportunity and upgrade your flywheel. Don’t bother with a 10-11lb its not really worth it when compared to the 14lb ap1 flywheel. Get a sub 9LB and spend the extra $100. I’ve run an 8lb Findanza for 5 years, swapped motors and went back to an ap1 flywheel and missed it, changed that out for the Act prolight chromolly flywheel which is like 8.3lb. I’d still be running the Findanza but after 5 years and about 100k miles the replaceable surface plate didn’t seem to seat right and caused vibration issues with the new PP so I chucked it. I’d recommend the one piece Act pro light I’m running now, it’s a beautiful piece and should be the last flywheel you will ever buy for the car. These light weight flywheels just really livens up the motor and makes it more reactive and fun to drive, makes heal toe driving smoother if that’s a driving technique you often employ. It probably frees up 5 or so hp through the rpm range as well.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:54 AM

I suppose I should add a little to what the use o the car is. Street only. I would like to go to a weekend racing school someday and get some track time in this car or another but never seem to get around to it.

I go back and forth of keeping this 2001 car with 35,000 miles on it or just selling it and getting a Cayman S. I really like the Cayman S more, but this on is paid for, faster, and costs me virtually nothing to operate.

I tinker with the idea of just putting in performance parts for the hell of it. I would like to see how the car is 100 pounds lighter so I toyed with adding an ASM single and a $900 carbon fiber driveshaft just for the hell of it. And this is knowing there will be some performance gain but probably not enough to justify $2k.

None of this stuff will make it too much faster and I drive it fairly sedately except when I need to put some space between me and a road clogging a-hole. So I don't know how much use I actually get out of this stuff, but it is just more of an expensive hobby.

But if it really makes a better driving car on the street, then perhaps. Somebody is going to get a hopped up lightly used, well treated car on the used market someday. In a perfect world I would keep it and still pick up a Cayman but not enough garage space or cash. But if adding enough makes it more fun, then it makes it an easy descision to keep it.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:49 AM

Just looked at a couple prices for the ACT flywheel. Price seems reasonable but two places have the same description:

PROLITE

•Recommended for Track and Road Race Use
•Maximum gear life – Gear will not Wear Out or Fall Off
•Serviceable – Can be Resurfaced with no Need to Purchase Additional Parts
•Chrome-Moly Forgings are Three Times More Rigid than Aluminum
•Quick Throttle Response and Acceleration
•Lightest and Lowest Inertia
Reduced Drivability

Huh?
Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a fadanz flywheel I'm trying to get rid of it needs new friction plate they are super cheap just going drag raceing so went back stock

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply: Lighter flywheel