S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Methanol Injection

Old 04-21-2008, 12:02 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

i am currently putting together a methanol injection kit. I would however run lots of safeties! Like a Low coolant sensor, a flow sensor or pressure sensor, a progressive controller to inject more fluid from 0-150 psi over a certain range of boost. Also, get a good source of methanol and cut it the same way everytime. I bought 4 gallons of boost juice for like 20 shipped from JEGS, its premixed and won't void the warranty on the pump. With a 50/50 mix, you also get the added benefit of lowered IAT's from the water.

In regards to tuning, i would have pro tuner set it up. If you want to mess around with it, just know that if you add too much timing, or remove fuel from the mixture when the meth doesnt flow, you'll blow your motor very quickly!
Old 04-21-2008, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul Coughing,Apr 21 2008, 12:02 PM
i am currently putting together a methanol injection kit. I would however run lots of safeties! Like a Low coolant sensor, a flow sensor or pressure sensor, a progressive controller to inject more fluid from 0-150 psi over a certain range of boost. Also, get a good source of methanol and cut it the same way everytime. I bought 4 gallons of boost juice for like 20 shipped from JEGS, its premixed and won't void the warranty on the pump. With a 50/50 mix, you also get the added benefit of lowered IAT's from the water.

In regards to tuning, i would have pro tuner set it up. If you want to mess around with it, just know that if you add too much timing, or remove fuel from the mixture when the meth doesnt flow, you'll blow your motor very quickly!
yea, that's why I want the HFS-5 kit. Seems to have the best failsafes.

And yeah, I'm gonna have shawn church retune me!

goodluck with yours
Old 04-21-2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by brilliant,Apr 21 2008, 11:42 AM
hey kev, why do you think snow kit is better? from I hear aquamist HFS-5 is the best kit out right now
My primary use would be to lower air intake temperatures and add some octane since here in California we only have crappy 91 octane out of the pumps.

I honestly think by just adding the kit and not changing tuning that much, that 20+ hp can be had to the wheels over my normal HP right now.
I'm not going to be tuning this thing like its half of my fuel source and I'm not going to be pulling massive timing like others have done. This think will not be tuned on the edge.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple bits of random info:

If you keep the spray nozzle rate, your boost increase (due to the water/meth injection), and your timing increase on the modest side, you can have a safe tune whether the sprayer is on or off.

I'm running 3gph spray nozzle, 10psi max boost pressure, and added 4-5 degrees timing max. My tune is right on the edge if I run with the sprayer turned off, but it is still *safe*. WI injection is a cheap way to add 20-30whp, but really I think it makes FI safer. Most text references say that 1% power increase per degree charge temp cooling is possible, with proper tuning. Banks says the actual number is more like 1.9%, and they have the diesel land-speed WI injected machine to prove it.

My max intake air temp with the sprayer on is 90F. That is the secondary benefit vs. the combustion benefit.

For safety measure, I use a very small thermocouple that responds something like 30 milliseconds per 1 degree F. Basically it indicates, within .25 second, whether all parts of the WI system are working because it detects the spray within the intake manifold itself. Snow, Aquamist etc have good safety measures also. Just put a decent fuel filter in line, one that you can see into and can clean. And for the skeptics - the nozzle won't clog any faster than the billions of water sprayers in the world already.

A SECRET I'll share: If your throttle body is old, it could allow your TPS to get misted air, which of course you do not want. You can vent the TPS mounting hub though. I'll post a picture in a little while.

-Doug
Old 04-21-2008, 09:31 PM

[QUOTE=S2Kart,Apr 21 2008, 03:20 PM] A couple bits of random info:

If you keep the spray nozzle rate, your boost increase (due to the water/meth injection), and your timing increase on the modest side, you can have a safe tune whether the sprayer is on or off.

I'm running 3gph spray nozzle, 10psi max boost pressure, and added 4-5 degrees timing max. My tune is right on the edge if I run with the sprayer turned off, but it is still *safe*.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:34 AM

hey kev...been pressed for time and havnt been able to get ahold of anyone yet. bump for this topic though
Old 04-22-2008, 07:47 AM

I would look into running E-85 vice a water-methanol injection kit. E-85 is cheaper than unleaded gas, has an octane rating of around 106, and will allow you to run much more timing and boost. Water-meth kits are pretty good, but require several failsafes in order to protect your motor in the event that you run out of meth or if a line bursts/becomes detached. More and more people are starting to run E-85, and I would encourage you to see if this is the right solution for you.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:10 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 2QYK4U,Apr 22 2008, 10:47 AM
I would look into running E-85 vice a water-methanol injection kit. E-85 is cheaper than unleaded gas, has an octane rating of around 106, and will allow you to run much more timing and boost. Water-meth kits are pretty good, but require several failsafes in order to protect your motor in the event that you run out of meth or if a line bursts/becomes detached. More and more people are starting to run E-85, and I would encourage you to see if this is the right solution for you.
E-85 is good choice if its readily available in your area. It seems most are located in the mid-west (which makes sense due to the source of E85) I know for me, the nearest E85 pump is over over 100 miles from me! Last time i checked, I think there is one pump in new jersey! For some its a good option, for others, we'll just get to sit back and watch what power people can make with it
Old 04-22-2008, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Soul Coughing,Apr 22 2008, 09:10 AM
E-85 is good choice if its readily available in your area. It seems most are located in the mid-west (which makes sense due to the source of E85) I know for me, the nearest E85 pump is over over 100 miles from me! Last time i checked, I think there is one pump in new jersey! For some its a good option, for others, we'll just get to sit back and watch what power people can make with it
I hear you. I thankfully have a gas station 10 minutes from my house which sells E-85 at the pump. Although I haven't tried it yet, I plan on running it on both my S2000 and my wife's Evo.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by 2QYK4U,Apr 22 2008, 08:17 AM
I hear you. I thankfully have a gas station 10 minutes from my house which sells E-85 at the pump. Although I haven't tried it yet, I plan on running it on both my S2000 and my wife's Evo.
E85 is no bueno for me. Lucky you have three of them down in the SD area.

In all honesty you are not getting what I want to use this system for. I don't want to tune this thing balls to the wall, I just want to be able to tune it on the edge for a normal pump gas setup and then add this system to make it safer with lower AIT's and also a boost in octane by the methanol. For 250 dollars for the snow kit, I cant say much more.

Quick Reply: Methanol Injection